Pickup Constitution *PUG Must-Read*

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Also it doesn't strictly say that you can't pick two maps in a row. Therefore, it is unwritten that if you choose to do so, and there are not any group complaints, you can proceed. "Any and all map choices by a captain must be honored by the pickup admins unless it is unanimously voted against by the players."

I just feel that an entire thread about 'just don't play frostbyte and zenith', and then the map is picked twice in a row is pretty darn stupid.

1. If you join late to a PuG and someone decides to pick you, then let them. I don't see why not since you can have up to 16 v 16.

Its not bloody fair to those who have been waiting, then 'super pro awesome' player comes in and he gets picked. Have you ever seen a 16 v 16 been played as well? The largest I've seen was 12v12 on fallout and it was an awful game that I lost due to having too many people to manage.

Synista

How many US PuGs are you actually playing? If the 'mericans need rules like these to be able to play - if common sense is just not enough - then let them.
Played 3 last night. This is also for euros, and it greifed some of us yesterday night.
Its not bloody fair to those who have been waiting, then 'super pro awesome' player comes in and he gets picked. Have you ever seen a 16 v 16 been played as well? The largest I've seen was 12v12 on fallout and it was an awful game that I lost due to having too many people to manage.
Doesn't matter to be honest. If you want to include all people you should of made it a 12 v 12 on Frostbyte or discuss if the captain would like to change map to allow people to play. But for me, if I'm captaining, I don't care if he joins late, if I feel I need him on my team, I'll pick him.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Doesn't matter to be honest. If you want to include all people you should of made it a 12 v 12 on Frostbyte or discuss if the captain would like to change map to allow people to play. But for me, if I'm captaining, I don't care if he joins late, if I feel I need him on my team, I'll pick him.

It does, just because you might be that 'super pro player', its not fair to pick that person ahead of him. We try to include as many people as possible, but its not my problem if Application says to me - no more than 8v8 please. I've said to Application before that when we include more people than normal, we change the map, example, gorge 10v10

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] This is also for euros [...]
It's for people who need them. We clearly don't. Just continue as normal, don't stop thinking, and take care of everyone who's around - problem solved. If someone should be too eager to enforce unnecessary stuff in an otherwise working environment, please let me know.
[...] But for me, if I'm captaining, I don't care if he joins late, if I feel I need him on my team, I'll pick him.
Which leads to someone who waited for quite some time not being able to play, and makes you an ass. If you're fine with that, go on.

Synista

Which leads to someone who waited for quite some time not being able to play, and makes you an ass. If you're fine with that, go on.
I was waiting for a PuG to join in Apo channel, then I saw one so I hopped to it but since I joined late I couldn't play? This rule won't work because you don't know how long each person had to wait, that's what I'm trying to say, but maybe I wasn't clear.
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. If I'm an ass for picking a play, so be it.

EDIT: Anyways as far as I'm concerned, Europeans don't need these. So I recommend we don't reinforce them in EuroPuGs

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] since I joined late I couldn't play? This rule won't work because you don't know how long each person had to wait, that's what I'm trying to say [...]
Just ask yourself, was there someone who waited longer than you, in the right channel (not in some clan channel), and couldn't play because you've been picked?

RiPTaCk

Of course people who have been there from the beginning should be picked before those who came in later, but not letting them play at all because they came late is dumb. In such a small community where at max 1 Pug is happening at a time, captains should pick everyone in the pickup channel during the picking. Restricting player count is stupid. Ofcourse you "can't" play 10v10 on frost when you initially had 14 ppl and 4-6 more join during picking but a simple map change is the solution. The problem is that most of the people just don't want to/can't play on large/unpopular maps, à la "Ohhhhh I have no routes on this map". With that attitude it's quite obvious that people prefer a 7v7 to a 10v10.

Synista

Just ask yourself, was there someone who waited longer than you, in the right channel (not in some clan channel), and couldn't play because you've been picked?
I was waiting for 3 hours... I don't think so. And I'm not just going to idle in the PuG channel, I want to talk to my associates in the other channels and I went to iron my shirts and comeback to be excluded from a PuG I waited 3 hours to play.

EDIT: RiPTaCk hit the nail on the head.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Of course people who have been there from the beginning should be picked before those who came in later, but not letting them play at all because they came late is dumb. [...]
Sure, that's just silly, and just a sign of people who don't think things through.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux

You're basing this of the game that you got left out of by me and sawdust, which is completely fine - but consider this. I was asked by Application to keep the team size to 8v8 - I've already said numerous times on the forums and on teamspeak is that I don't like leaving people out, but I'm starting to think that I should if people don't turn up on time. At the late picking stage where you came in, the captain that picked you would have gained a massive advantage over the team.

I was waiting for 3 hours... I don't think so. And I'm not just going to idle in the PuG channel, I want to talk to my associates in the other channels and I went to iron my shirts and comeback to be excluded from a PuG I waited 3 hours to play.

Tough luck, stop 'crying' over something that was clearly your fault and blaming me and Xtreme for it.

Application-1

test bester
I was asked by Application to keep the team size to 8v8
You are pretty darn good at pointing the finger at someone as long as it is not you.

We were doing Frostbyte, a 9v9 Frostbyte is possible but 7v7 and 8v8 works best. And considering that even with 9v9 we would leave 2 people out I asked if they kept it on 8v8 Frostbyte. That is all there is to it. And if you wanted more people to play then ask if he wants to change it. And only ask it once not 5 times like you usually do.

Synista

Tough luck, stop 'crying' over something that was clearly your fault and blaming me and Xtreme for it.
Don't bring Xtreme down with you when he picked me and you was like "No no no, he just joined in this channel, pick someone who was here before". Stop playing the blame game and face that you're wrong about it. Then you decided to pick two Americans as a last pick in a EURO PuG... Leaving RiPTaCk, Kat999, Xzanth and I thinking that PuGs have gotten retarded.

Frost

Guys, the admins and PT's are saying you SHOULD pick the people that were sitting in the channel first, you don't need to pull the thread off topic into one single situation. They aren't saying that you have to pick people in the channel first before late comers, they're saying that it's ethical to pick someone who's been waiting in the channel since the picking began regardless of their skill level. If you choose not to follow this then it's your choice but as Gheist elegantly said, you'll be considered an ass.

Realistically, it's only 25 minutes of your life gone.
So yes, you -should- pick people who have been waiting in the channel since the picking began over someone who just joined, regardless of the joiners situation however ultimately it is up to the captain. And yes as Rip said, it's always best to try and fit everyone in, but when that's not possible or just not going to happen; read the last few sentences I wrote.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
You are pretty darn good at pointing the finger at someone as long as it is not you.

We were doing Frostbyte, a 9v9 Frostbyte is possible but 7v7 and 8v8 works best. And considering that even with 9v9 we would leave 2 people out I asked if they kept it on 8v8 Frostbyte. That is all there is to it. And if you wanted more people to play then ask if he wants to change it. And only ask it once not 5 times like you usually do.

<3. I obviously agreed with your decision though as I followed through on it, so you can blame me too. Many people look up to you as you take charge of pickups normally and I didn't want to go against your word for obvious reasons.

Don't bring Xtreme down with you when he picked me and you was like "No no no, he just joined in this channel, pick someone who was here before". Stop playing the blame game and face that you're wrong about it. Then you decided to pick two Americans as a last pick in a EURO PuG... Leaving RiPTaCk, Kat999, Xzanth and I thinking that PuGs have gotten retarded.

I'm not bring xtreme down, he went along with my decision and I didn't hear any complaints off anyone in the channel. Whether I was wrong about it is being discussed right here, right now. To me, region doesn't matter, they were there before. Whether you think I'm retard, or pickups is up to you. I was doing my best in that situation, if it wasn't good enough, then shoot me for it.

/me sighs

This has evidently turned into 'I hate Fire' thread.

EDIT: Also, seeing how everyone is saying "Captains pick is law" - it seems kinda funny how everyone is having a go at me for it. Hypocrites.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
Guys, the admins and PT's are saying you SHOULD pick the people that were sitting in the channel first, you don't need to pull the thread off topic into one single situation. They aren't saying that you have to pick people in the channel first before late comers, they're saying that it's ethical to pick someone who's been waiting in the channel since the picking began regardless of their skill level. If you choose not to follow this then it's your choice but as Gheist elegantly said, you'll be considered an ass.

Realistically, it's only 25 minutes of your life gone.
So yes, you -should- pick people who have been waiting in the channel since the picking began over someone who just joined, regardless of the joiners situation however ultimately it is up to the captain. And yes as Rip said, it's always best to try and fit everyone in, but when that's not possible or just not going to happen; read the last few sentences I wrote.

Frost completely interpreted my points correctly, but it seems like Vybez doesn't know how to do that yet. There is no 'you have to' in this thread. It is the kindest approach, however, and is encouraged. Although you're the only one that has a problem with this thread, Vybez.

And yes, the kindest approach is to include everyone in the channel, but by the off-chance that it is not agreed upon, the people who have already been waiting in the channel should be picked before someone who would come, lets say, second to last pick.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
Just to make things clear, captains do not have absolute power. There was an incident where a captain thought that everyone was required to follow him, resulting in a major in-game debate. This is not how we should act in-game, and actions like this will be punished.

Status
Not open for further replies.