Pickup Constitution *PUG Must-Read*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
Since there has been an outbreak of complaints going around about pickup admins and the general flow of pickups, I've decided to make some guidelines for us to follow. Hopefully people will take these rules into consideration when they are in TeamSpeak.

We, as pickup admins, are in charge of making sure pickup games run smoothly and without conflict. We are also role models for the community to follow and therefore should act accordingly. This includes your maturity, behavior, and decision making. I will list some precise issues and their solutions regarding the flow of pickup games.

The PUG Process
The process of playing a pickup game is very simple. Once enough players have accumulated in the 'Pickup Games' channel, you are ready to start pickup. Make sure to check to see if everyone in the channel is present and able to play the game. One player will be chosen to flip a coin, while the two selected captains will call which side they want. The winner of the coin flip will have a choice to pick either the first player or the map and side. Players will then alternate picking players after the map and side has been decided. Keep in mind some of the points made above. A pickup admin will then start the match when all members are present in the designated server.

Involvement of new players
One of our jobs as pickup admins and community members is welcoming new players into our community. I have seen many new players join our Teamspeak server looking to participate in our pickup games. However, our past attitudes towards these newer players have impacted their desision to stay with us or leave this game completely. The community members and pickup admins must work together to make pickup games a fun environment for newer players. Under no circumstances are we to insult, ridicule or put down newer players because of their performance. They are human just as we and deserve encouragement and respect.

Captain Picking
Refering back to maintaining the flow of pickup games, our job is also to captain before a match so that the game will be started as quick as possible. There has been a problem with the waiting time before a game actually happens. If pickup admins are present, they should volunteer to captain if nobody else is willing to. Likewise, having community memebers captaining and learning the ropes is also beneficial. Newer players should postpone captaining for a short time until they have a good grasp on the game and the players that participate in pickup matches.

Captain Decisions
If you are chosen to captain a pickup game, you are required to have experience captaining before. This includes knowledge of the players and how to make correct decisions, as stated above. Captains must make sure that the game which they are about to play is smooth and most importantly fun. If the teams that were picked are blatantly stacked, captains should make negotiatons to even the teams. Captains also have to remember to include new players in every game. Do not isolate new players from pickup games, even if you want to play with your friends.

Captain power
Just to make things clear, captains do not have absolute power. There was an incident where a captain thought that everyone was required to follow him, resulting in a major in-game debate. This is not how we should act in-game, and actions like this will be punished.

Map choice
There have been many complaints that American pickup games only consist of the maps Zenith and Frostbyte. This is completely correct. In order to avoid further conflict with some members of the community, captains should incorporate other maps into their picks outside of Frostbyte and Zenith. Any and all map choices by a captain must be honored by the pickup admins unless it is unanimously voted against by the players. However, this does not encourage the vetoing of every challenging map picked. As Kissy had mentioned, 'variety is the spice of life."

Last Minute Joiners
Under no circumstances should a player who joins late to the channel be picked before the members who are already waiting. Those who join after the first six picks must patiently wait until the picking process of those before him is complete.

Forever Alone Players
Under no circumstance may a player sit out of two consecutive pickup games. Captains are required to make sure that everyone is included in pickups. If there are too many people in the channel for one game, the players who were not picked last game must get priority in the picking process of the following game.

Idlers in the Pickups Channel
If you do not plan on playing a pickup during the picking process, please leave. This will avoid any confusion.

Smurfs
Community members and pickup admins should avoid using different names then their regestered in-game name. This will avoid further confusion during the pickup process.

Spectators
Players who are not picked are allowed to view the current match using Spectator Mode.

Team Balance
A Captain's main goal is to make pickup games as fun as possible. Therefore, captains should make sure the teams are not stacked to the point of destroying the main purpose of pickup games. This includes making trades or negotiating agreements prior to the picking process.

Positioning
Captains must take into consideration the needs of the players that they pick. Do not put your players on positions that they don't want to play. Doing so will make the experience less enjoyable for the player.This will also avoid frustration or possible conflict during the game.

In-game behavior
Being models for the rest of the community to imitate, pickup admins must be at their best conduct at all times. Likewise, community members must also follow these rules. Pickup admins and community members alike must avoid actions that will lead to verbal confrontation and conflict with each other. This will disrupt both gameplay and morale, removing the 'fun' aspect in a pickup game. Players caught doing so will be removed from the match and will not be permitted to play in pickup games for a limited amount of time.

Kicking
If a pickup admin has no reason for kicking a community member, do not do so. Take into consideration the consequence of your actions.

That's all on general conduct rules for pickup games. Of course this Constitution is a 'living document' and may be changed if seen fit. If you have any further complains or issues please contact my Supreme Court Justice AFireInAsa.

On a side note, I remember back in the old Legions Ventrilo that there was a channel for admins to idle in if any community member needed help. Now that more admins are gaining access to pickup servers, a return of this channel might be beneficial.

Anti_Envy

Private Tester
Well done Ucan, as usually, in my eyes you play a big role in the community by supporting everybody and reminding us how to have a good time. Thumbs up :)

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
You guys really let things go to hell after I stopped running things, eh? =)
I didn't really see a problem with things when I was around Teamspeak. I guess people kept a lot of things bottled up and never told us. Hopefully this helps. :p

Siper

Private Tester
"Positioning
Captains must take into consideration the needs of the players that they pick. Do not put your players on positions that they don't want to play. Doing so will make the experience less enjoyable for the player.This will also avoid frustration or possible conflict during the game."

Hey could you make some changes to this rule? because captains cant always put players on positions they want to play, and there is already problem with players not wanting to follow their position, this rule will only make it worse..

poiuyt580

I, poiuyt580, do hereby understand and accept the terms of the Legions: Overdrive Pickup Constitution.

Also, "Keep in mine some of the points made above. A pickup admin will then start the match when all members are present in the designated server." should be Keep in mind?

w00tyou

I, Haüs/w00tyou, do hereby understand and accept the terms of the Legions: Overdrive Pickup Constitution.

ContingencyPl4n

Elite Pro Mapmaker
Could we add: If/When spectator mode is added hat players not picked can spectate matches, as well as the people who joined late. I would love doing that if I was late.

EDIT:I suck at captaining, but god damnit im doing it everytime I play now. expect different maps, strats, and ideas!

Vox

I, Spart, do hereby understand and accept the terms of the Legions: Overdrive Pickup Constitution.

Status
Not open for further replies.