Legions Launcher

GReaper

Grumpy
Patcher channels are planned - although it'll work differently.

Mods - no, never. If @Dabbleh ever wants to finish his mod loader then I'd recommend that.

DirectX detection - yes, although that's probably one on the list for later.

Only other major problem I can think of is unicode characters in directory names.

Defender

Had to ask, guess the powers that be, decided this game was never going to make it more easier for player made content.

GReaper

Grumpy
There's a limit on how far we can go.

When the project started, all we distributed were compiled scripts, no map editor, no server scripts, no server binaries, authentication making it difficult to allow people to run other servers, etc.

We've given you the source to the scripts, we've given you an editor, we've given you the server scripts, you've got the Linux server binaries, we've removed authentication to allow other people to connect to your servers (yes, this had downsides too). There's a simple structure in place for you to do mods without cluttering a users install too much (just zip it in the root directory).

But there's limits to this too.

We can't distribute files we don't own the copyright to, especially if you go creating maps without any regard for the copyright of all the assets contained within it. We can't do automatic downloading for security - custom maps which use scripts could cause problems. It's also an advantage that new users get a fresh install without screwing it up with mods unless they know what they want to do.

Understand these limits and reasons, instead of accusing us of being against player made content.

Defender

You may not be against player made content "maps" mainly, but anyone with a brain can see the games support for it could be better.
If you at-least added a map/server load text, for the server, that displayed a message to players before they got dropped, that had map info, server info, click-able download links like tribes2, has, that would help a lot.

I don't know if your right about the idea for the launcher, you would be just giving them a download link, or information, to some player made community map-packs, its up to them if they want to click on the link and go download them, how are you distributing anything that way?

Last edited:

BugsPray

Legions Developer
You may not be against player made content "maps" mainly, but anyone with a brain can see the games support for it could be better.
If you at-least added a map/server load text, for the server, that displayed a message to players before they got dropped, that had map info, server info, click-able download links like tribes2, has, that would help a lot.

I don't know if your right about the idea for the launcher, you would be just giving them a download link, or information, to some player made community map-packs, its up to them if they want to click on the link and go download them, how are you distributing anything that way?
No doubt these would be great features. See if you can get some community modders to create them and they might make it into the game.

Fixious

Test Lead
Have you (GReaper) changed anything regarding the old patcher yet? Pop put some updates on Test yesterday but I couldn't download them.

Its vary funny! You should think about, starting a career as a, stand-up comedian. Your grate!
this place has become a literal circlejerk holy *dance*. i remember the good days before senior basement dweller fixious.

how are posts like these made by utter shitstains allowed but all of mine are removed?

also, what else is funny is your *dancing* terrible br comma usage, *lovely lady*.

Defender

how are posts like these made by utter shitstains allowed but all of mine are removed?

No need for name calling, but who are you calling utter shitstains?
I tried my best, to keep this game going, by making maps, mods, helping people map, but it never mattered much, the game just never became successful again after IA, let it die.

GReaper

Grumpy
Version 0.6.10

Use ini file for various settings.
Initial support for downloading from other channels.

Reactions: KrO

Fixious

Test Lead
Seems to work so far. My first time downloading Test the bar filled but still said extracting files. After like 15 minutes I just closed it, relaunched it and everything worked fine. Changed to Live and it downloaded fine, too.

GReaper

Grumpy
Version 0.6.11

Updated Python, and all libraries (requests, pyside) to latest versions.
Removed protobuf - patch server now sends JSON responses.
Legions.exe (the self extracting zip for new users) will now get updated with every new launcher version - no more initial launcher update needed.