Forgotten on Public Test Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draconator

Great. With Forgotten return, Quarry is left with the observer mode and the skin selection. After those 3, I hope for new stuff. :D

dx11101

This map is soo different that we should have both versions which would be even better. Some people like the new one and some people want the instant action version. Forgotten 1.0 and Forgotten Pro so we can have more more more MAPS ! ! ! ! ! The pick-up game stars and testers or whoever that didnt like the instant action version can use the one they like in their PU's.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
This map is soo different that we should have both versions which would be even better. Some people like the new one and some people want the instant action version. Forgotten 1.0 and Forgotten Pro so we can have more more more MAPS ! ! ! ! ! The pick-up game stars and testers or whoever that didnt like the instant action version can use the one they like in their PU's.

While we're at it, let's have one version of Legions with hotswapping, old LR, and no fall damage, and one that's like this one! We would have 2 different GAMES! How exciting! We have soo many players that we can afford to have two different versions of the same game, dontcha think?
The new bases suck. Bring the old ones back
If you're going to post something, at least be mildly constructive.

I like the low bases, and I haven't found capping to be bad on that map. Either way is fine with me, but I think the sides of the bases should be lower, because no one does side routes. A harder to defend side might make side/angled routes more appealing than just front route up the middle.

FatElvis

First thanks to the Devs and Volunteers for bringing us more content. Appreciated. Hope to see NEW maps or if you can set the public lose making maps...we need more content to keep this from getting stale (don't care about weapons, etc... we need more maps to excite COMPETITION).

Now, regarding Forgotten....my thoughts.
1. Terrain and hills - seems smoother - work well
2. Lighting - dusk - not ideal...is tolerable...but be better if set to 12 noon (similar to Zenith Cauldron) if just a parameter to change
3. Bases - Too much clutter! - it makes this map less playable, and definitely less fun.

I offer this suggestion for quick fix and testing ...PLEASE
1. Remove ALL base walls and extra pedistals.
2. Leave only the + shaped flag stand base.

That gives defence 360 degree view to defend.
That gives offense 360 degree view to attack (especially using OD off the terrain)
It will be more fair and produce some epic fights at the stand..trust me.

I assume it'd be fairly quick to go into an editor, click on those objects, hit delete, recomplile as Forgotten2 and repost on the public server...at least that's what I suggest then let's see what the public thinks with NO WALLS.

Food for thought. Again..merely one opinion. We can't please everyone...but we should at least aim to please the majority. FEW like the walls.

legions

First thanks to the Devs and Volunteers for bringing us more content. Appreciated. Hope to see NEW maps or if you can set the public lose making maps...we need more content to keep this from getting stale (don't care about weapons, etc... we need more maps to excite COMPETITION).

Now, regarding Forgotten....my thoughts.
1. Terrain and hills - seems smoother - work well
2. Lighting - dusk - not ideal...is tolerable...but be better if set to 12 noon (similar to Zenith Cauldron) if just a parameter to change
3. Bases - Too much clutter! - it makes this map less playable, and definitely less fun.

I offer this suggestion for quick fix and testing ...PLEASE
1. Remove ALL base walls and extra pedistals.
2. Leave only the + shaped flag stand base.

That gives defence 360 degree view to defend.
That gives offense 360 degree view to attack (especially using OD off the terrain)
It will be more fair and produce some epic fights at the stand..trust me.

I assume it'd be fairly quick to go into an editor, click on those objects, hit delete, recomplile as Forgotten2 and repost on the public server...at least that's what I suggest then let's see what the public thinks with NO WALLS.

Food for thought. Again..merely one opinion. We can't please everyone...but we should at least aim to please the majority. FEW like the walls.
yes i hate the big walls that have gotten wider from IA i would like to have the base taller also overwise it is less enjoyable

Fixious

Test Lead
We almost had a decent sized PUG for Forgotten lastnight, but couldn't make it happen due to 'technical difficulties'. That probably would've provided some valuable feedback as well. Maybe they can make it happen tonight.

dx11101

While we're at it, let's have one version of Legions with hotswapping, old LR, and no fall damage, and one that's like this one! We would have 2 different GAMES! How exciting! We have soo many players that we can afford to have two different versions of the same game, dontcha think?

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
Now then, no need for blatant hypocrisy.
I like the low bases, and I haven't found capping to be bad on that map. Either way is fine with me, but I think the sides of the bases should be lower, because no one does side routes. A harder to defend side might make side/angled routes more appealing than just front route up the middle.
I'm not sure if you noticed that part...

On topic: As others have mentioned, the lighting seems a little different - maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me. I don't really mind, but I remember it being a little brighter or something.

I think that, while the idea of an open base is cool, Forgotten is a map that doesn't particularly encourage side routes, simply because it takes ~15 seconds to get from 1 base to another. Therefore, I stand by my original assertion, that the side walls should be lowered/removed (removed would look stark IMO) so that people might actually use the side.
Someone else mentioned jump pads for Forgotten. My response: absolutely not. Chasing is dead simple on that map, even as a Sentinel you can chase moderately well.

Gravis

If I may further elaborate on my earlier statement, let me add the fact that being a HoF is all but pointless on this map. So what if there are huge walls around the base with a smaller space for cappers to speed through? The lack of enough space around the flag makes it difficult to hold your ground when any rocket can push you a meter away and since the space around the flag is so small any capper can grab it. What about body blocking? Well, I successfully BB'd people only to realize the bad base design also makes BB'ing pointless since the minute you do that, you're on the ground and must spend a couple seconds returning, which gives any capper or LO more than enough time to llama the flag and be on their marry way down the middle route. And that's after the fact there will probably already be LO and snipers picking you off from your own base, which again makes it pointless to HoF. I mean having a handful of low-ping snipers is more effective by itself for defense.

If I had to suggest something it would obviously be a wider area to stand on the flag, and lower (maybe wider) walls too. If that can't be done it might be a good idea to finally bring out some turrets that incoming LO must deal with before attacking the defense.

Karnage

Private Tester
thats were Gut's and subzero's LD kick in ;)
Your LD is not going to be very effective either because they have such a large area to cover and the LO have so many possibilities for hiding. These bases were designed SPECIFICALLY for LO if you think about it.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
This map has much more focus on good distract and sneaky OD grabs rather than anything else. It can be hard to position speed grabs, but I've managed to get a 200+ going, and if I get it just right, you can go straight though the doorways in the side of the base. It'll be interesting to see how the map is played in pickups and competition.

jago

all its missing in my eyes is a perch for me to sit on so i am able to shoot those pesky flag grabbers other than that i love it

GReaper

Grumpy
Testing for this map has ended so we can test out some other changes on the public test servers.

I'll give you guys an update soon, but it hasn't been pushed to live servers yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.