Do you solely play to win?

Trundle

I drop in and try to learn what the latest clan tactic is. Unsuccessfully 99% of the time. I literally have no *dancing* clue what is happening most of the time. Otherwise I fly around trying to chase or more commonly I stand on the flag and hope ppl run into me. Winning n L:O, ?

Disci

Old man
I drop in and try to learn what the latest clan tactic is. Unsuccessfully 99% of the time. I literally have no *dancing* clue what is happening most of the time. Otherwise I fly around trying to chase or more commonly I stand on the flag and hope ppl run into me. Winning n L:O, ?

Maybe the easiest and most effective way to be usefull to your team is stay at home position. You just need to kill stuff and never leave the base. Don't chase at all. When capper comes in shoot him with a rocket or grenade. Kill everyone and, I can't stress this enough, don't leave the base ever! Prevent llamas to grab the flag when it's returned. Master this and your team will win matches.

Pubs: I play to win, but don't care which team wins. If I'm capping on Alpha, and in the first 5 minutes get 5 caps, I'll happily swap with one of their "lesser" players (or just move if numbers uneven) and try to beat my own score on the other team. Ultimately it's really playing for fun, as keeping things even is generally a more fun game.

Pugs: I play to win, but would once again (if I'm captaining) rather have even teams than my team be OP.

Sharp

Private Tester
I like even games, and even prefer to be on the losing side if it means it'll be more interesting. I get annoyed though when people play dumb (as in, not playing at the level I expect them to, for good or for bad). When I captain, I usually captain at the level of the person I'm playing against, meaning if he makes a dumb pick, I'll make a dumb pick. No sense in spending 30 mins for a game to start to win 10-1.

Trundle

Maybe the easiest and most effective way to be usefull to your team is stay at home position. You just need to kill stuff and never leave the base. Don't chase at all. When capper comes in shoot him with a rocket or grenade. Kill everyone and, I can't stress this enough, don't leave the base ever! Prevent llamas to grab the flag when it's returned. Master this and your team will win matches.

I won't disagree but so boring. Besides L:O is so fluid it feels wrong to be stationary. I've been having fun messing up my teams cap runs, flubbing midfield pickups and missing passes. Woot!

EDIT: Just realized how old the last post was, my bad.

Propkid

http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/gaming-motivation.1498/
There are games I play for the sole childish fun (Plants vs Zombies maaaaannnn...).
Then there are games which I play to be good. Good at them or generally to become skilled. (Tekken, Quake, CoD modes, GunZ, DoTA, Warhammer etc.)

If you think that winning makes you a skilled/good player then you've got it wrong. Sometimes a moment makes you feel good, sometimes the statistic of the whole game makes you feel good.
Sometimes you feel good when you've set up an opportunity for another player to shine. Winning in itself means nothing for the individual and many online games would be much more enjoyable if people realized that.

And read that locked (unfortunately) thread of mine. And feel free to bug any of the devs to unlock it, the flames which were raging back then have long since died out and I'm not even active anymore.

Immanent

Plus you get a lot of points surprisingly, for all you pointwhores out there.

DudeofDeath

Public Games - No way, other factors come into play and even if you're playing good, your team might be awful etc. Best way to live through public games is to not care about the result of the game, only play the best you can.

Pickup games - Yes, but only to a point. I still have fun doing them and as long as the result is close and people are having a good time, the score doesn't matter unless the teams were really *danced* up.

"Best way to live through public games is to not care about the result of the game". - Good lesson learned I learned in Tribes

Most of the time, (if you even see me playing), it's just to get back in the swing of it. I enjoy screwing around and making abstract rocket MA's in pubs, but if I see some good players I'll play straight up CTF FTW if it feels right.