Gaming motivation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Propkid

Since this 'discussion' was speeding off of the sentinel topic and XtremeSpeed looks like he needs to have his ragefire put out I decided to make a new thread and open a hopefully un-unfriendly discussion. The topic is in the title. Now onto it.

Also, if you play this game for recognition, you are absolutely sad.
I've always been telling myself that there are 3 main 'ways' for games to 'be'. By 'be' i mean in what way are they enjoyed/ with what intent are they developed. These 3 ways are: creative (think: sandbox, some RTS), progressive (think: RTS, RPG etc) and ego-feeders (literally anywhere nowadays, read on for details). It's not as if a game is limited to only one of those aspects; each game is enjoyed partially in each of those ways, though some games have a defining aspect to them.

This might have sounded a bit confusing but it's easier to understand when you look at specific game features. Let's look at an MMORPG, say WoW or Guild Wars. These games are mostly progressive and ego-feeders, but they both have a large degree of the 'creative' to them. If you look at specific features of these games you'll see that some things, say character creation and equipment customizability allow for the creative bit. The quest system, alongside with gaining titles and such are responsible for the 'progression', while the stats, levels, epic loot and in-game economics ($$$) account for the gamer penis hardonz, aka ego-feed.

Ego-feeding is becoming pretty dominant in modern popular games (I must work on my terms...). It's really hard to find a modern multiplayer game which doesn't provide its players with some sort of recognition or proof of their superiority to other players. Levels used to be a good example of this when they were present solely in the MMO genre. They involve simple logic which states that 'since I have a higher level than this guy, I'm better than him'. As soon as the 'I'm better/good' gets involved, the player starts to enjoy his time while playing the game, hence plays it more. Ego-feeding is present whenever the player receives any sort of recognition, reward, proof of being better than others or when he simply succeeds at a task. Originally it was present in gaming in the form of proper and fair competition.

Now onto that statement of Xtreme's. Recognition = thinking that you are good = ego-feed. I think everyone can agree with that. I also think that many of the L:O players love the game for the high level of difficulty involved. I think we can also say that one of the major motivations for playing L:O is to feed one's gamer-ego. After all, the harder the game that we manage to be good at, the better we are at gaming (and the better we feel).

This might sound a little bit sad, but it's surely not sad. After all, ego is what underlies all of competition, be it real life (eg. sports) or gaming. Of course there's more to competition that just ego; what I'm saying is that ego is the major motivation.
And playing for recognition is certainly not sad. Just look at all the frag movies/ montages/ skill movies that L:O players are making. Recognition related to those? -Lots. Sad? -Not even a bit.
Why do the threads regarding 'longest/most MA in a game' or 'who are the best/decent players out there?' exist? Now it may sound real bad when someone says that they're all about ego, but ego is what underlies a lot of things people do.

As a cherry on top of the cake, I'll show you what (or more like who) came to be one of my main 'gaming motivations'. I know Fireblasto will like this- one of my main reasons for switching from MMORPGs to FPS and for playing at all is Vo0, a currently retired Quake3A pro-gamer:
I'm such a fangirl...

Xtreme

shaska's bff
Now onto that statement of Xtreme's. Recognition = thinking that you are good = ego-feed. I think everyone can agree with that. I also think that many of the L:O players love the game for the high level of difficulty involved. I think we can also say that one of the major motivations for playing L:O is to feed one's gamer-ego. After all, the harder the game that we manage to be good at, the better we are at gaming (and the better we feel).

This might sound a little bit sad, but it's surely not sad. After all, ego is what underlies all of competition, be it real life (eg. sports) or gaming. Of course there's more to competition that just ego; what I'm saying is that ego is the major motivation.
And playing for recognition is certainly not sad. Just look at all the frag movies/ montages/ skill movies that L:O players are making. Recognition related to those? -Lots. Sad? -Not even a bit.
Why do the threads regarding 'longest/most MA in a game' or 'who are the best/decent players out there?' exist? Now it may sound real bad when someone says that they're all about ego, but ego is what underlies a lot of things people do.

Do you play this game to make yourself feel better? Because I do, but not in the way you're describing. Nobody plays this game so that they can feel good about themselves because they've managed to impress someone else (and the few people that do are sad, that doesn't change). You're right about one thing though, the harder the game, the better we feel when we see that we've managed to play it properly. But there's a difference between the satisfaction obtained from this and the satisfaction obtained from successfully impressing the others in a server by ripping your eyes out to get the highest score in the game.

As for the frag movies/montages/skill-vids...etc., I've always found them a bit ridiculous in the sense that many of them inaccurately portray the game in question. For instance, Shattered's video's of Legions were all filled with mid-airs (i.e. ego to the extreme, which is somewhat sad, considering I know Shattered and he seemed like a cool guy). Disci's vids are very different in the sense that they served the higher purpose of giving an accurate representation of the game. He doesn't mind if he plays rabbit and misses the rabbit more than half the time. Also, the Tribes Legacy vids skill-vids weren't made by one egocentric bastard that stayed up for days and nights trying to get those amazing shots, but by a group of people who loved this game for it's uniqueness and wanted to make something in commemoration of the good times they had. Even Quake Live, which is more popular, has community members making videos like this one, but anyone will be able to point out that they didn't make it with the aim of achieving recognition. In making videos, it is undoubtedly true that you do achieve some recognition. But if you're making videos so that you can satisfy others, that's just wrong.

I can go on forever about this, but I have to go to school now. So... enjoy!

Redvan

Private Tester
My motivation for video gaming is: It's a hell a lot cheaper than paintball :D

and

There's only snow so many months of the year, and even less time to actually get out to board

Video games = right here, right now \o/

(and they help you do spectacular on the TBAS)

MJ1284

As for the frag movies/montages/skill-vids...etc., I've always found them a bit ridiculous in the sense that many of them inaccurately portray the game in question.
Very true, but isn't a montage supposed to be a collection of highlight moments?

For instance, Shattered's video's of Legions were all filled with mid-airs (i.e. ego to the extreme, which is somewhat sad, considering I know Shattered and he seemed like a cool guy).
FINALLY! Took your sweet time to figure this out eh? :p
Jk, while Shattered's videos are very much the same as any other montages IMO he obviously did it for the recognition. Before I get flamed, I'll say I base this conclusion on the fact that the guy NEVER posted on forum if it wasn't "Watch my new vid!" type of comment (I remember he made new thread each time he put out a video). But wait, how about me then? Was I attention whoring when I made videos? I merely wanted Legions to gain more publicity but if that labeled me as egotistic p**** then that can't be helped. But if it brought even one enthousiastic legionnaire to this community I feel that my videos were damn worth it despite making me look like a complete *butt*.

Disci's vids are very different in the sense that they served the higher purpose of giving an accurate representation of the game. He doesn't mind if he plays rabbit and misses the rabbit more than half the time.
Disci has his own style of making skill videos, instead of focusing on one or two type of skills he prefers showing wider variety of skillful maneuvers that can be pulled off ingame.

Also, the Tribes Legacy vids skill-vids weren't made by one egocentric bastard that stayed up for days and nights trying to get those amazing shots, but by a group of people who loved this game for it's uniqueness and wanted to make something in commemoration of the good times they had. Even Quake Live, which is more popular, has community members making videos like this one, but anyone will be able to point out that they didn't make it with the aim of achieving recognition. In making videos, it is undoubtedly true that you do achieve some recognition. But if you're making videos so that you can satisfy others, that's just wrong.

There has been some attempts to make Legacy -like video on Legions, but without demo system & proper Observer Mode it's nigh impossible to make such film. All Hail Legions was crudely stiched together mockery of "Legacy", but I'm hoping it will stir up other community members to chip in for THIS tribute clip.

Propkid

Nobody plays this game so that they can feel good about themselves because they've managed to impress someone else
by nobody he meant hardly anyone
So you're saying that Legions is about feeling better about one's self. And you are saying that this feeling better is related to in-game accomplishments, especially when they are difficult to achieve. But doesn't showing these achievements off in front of an audience just make the feeling 100x better?

Once you could argue that this was not the case, but in today's gaming multiplayer is becoming more and more popular just because of the 'show-off'! Think of it as of freestyle football (I hope you are an europlayer and that you'll get it): one could learn and perform all the tricks alone, in a darkened out gym hall (no audience= singleplayer), but nothing is stopping him from going out on the street/stadium or even YouTube and 'showing off' (audience= multiplayer). And there's surely nothing sad about that.

Yes, at one point you could argue that multiplayer was about having good time with others and not with the AI, but those times are long gone and nowadays there are only a few games out there that are about doing something together and not about proving yourself better by humiliating the *chocolate cookie* out of the other player.

Also, if you keep on saying 'just wrong' and 'sad' without saying how/why then this thread won't go anywhere.

MightySheep

seems relevant to my interests as I live on the computer, gaming 24/7 since I was like 13

Unfortunately you wrote too much

tl;dr

Propkid

seems relevant to my interests as I live on the computer, gaming 24/7 since I was like 13

Unfortunately you wrote too much

tl;dr
Gah get over it, once you'll reach the age when at school they'll force you to read whole BOOKS (-ughm- novels) that are extremely dull, irrelevant and time consuming. At that point you'll start appreciating and reading good threads ;p

Xtreme

shaska's bff
by nobody he meant hardly anyone
So you're saying that Legions is about feeling better about one's self. And you are saying that this feeling better is related to in-game accomplishments, especially when they are difficult to achieve. But doesn't showing these achievements off in front of an audience just make the feeling 100x better?

I never once said that you can't play it to feel better about yourself, but not in that particular way. I think it's wrong if you're urged to make a video because you want to show-off your (personal) in-game accomplishments. You shouldn't feel pressured that way, nobody's asking to prove yourself to anyone.

Once you could argue that this was not the case, but in today's gaming multiplayer is becoming more and more popular just because of the 'show-off'! Think of it as of freestyle football (I hope you are an europlayer and that you'll get it): one could learn and perform all the tricks alone, in a darkened out gym hall (no audience= singleplayer), but nothing is stopping him from going out on the street/stadium or even YouTube and 'showing off' (audience= multiplayer). And there's surely nothing sad about that.

In football, it's different because it's a completely different thing. You can't make a comparison between a video-game (that is currently being played by a few hundred people) and the King of sports (which is an actual career for thousands of people and played by millions). Horrible analogy.

MightySheep

I am going to university this year and I will gladly read any of the books they give me because they're probably important things I need to read to do well and learn things about computing which is what I'm paying to learn about

but for now I never read any long walls of text threads because most are garbage which probably could have been shorted to 1 paragraph anyways

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Do you play this game to make yourself feel better? Because I do, but not in the way you're describing. Nobody plays this game so that they can feel good about themselves because they've managed to impress someone else (and the few people that do are sad, that doesn't change). You're right about one thing though, the harder the game, the better we feel when we see that we've managed to play it properly. But there's a difference between the satisfaction obtained from this and the satisfaction obtained from successfully impressing the others in a server by ripping your eyes out to get the highest score in the game.

As for the frag movies/montages/skill-vids...etc., I've always found them a bit ridiculous in the sense that many of them inaccurately portray the game in question. For instance, Shattered's video's of Legions were all filled with mid-airs (i.e. ego to the extreme, which is somewhat sad, considering I know Shattered and he seemed like a cool guy). Disci's vids are very different in the sense that they served the higher purpose of giving an accurate representation of the game. He doesn't mind if he plays rabbit and misses the rabbit more than half the time. Also, the Tribes Legacy vids skill-vids weren't made by one egocentric bastard that stayed up for days and nights trying to get those amazing shots, but by a group of people who loved this game for it's uniqueness and wanted to make something in commemoration of the good times they had. Even Quake Live, which is more popular, has community members making videos like this one, but anyone will be able to point out that they didn't make it with the aim of achieving recognition. In making videos, it is undoubtedly true that you do achieve some recognition. But if you're making videos so that you can satisfy others, that's just wrong.

I can go on forever about this, but I have to go to school now. So... enjoy!

ffs.

All this kid comes out with is opinion dressed as fact. I'm pissed off with it. Propkid is 100% right as well.

I play the game for some recognition, some enjoyment, some skills. I don't play it for one single reason, and that is why your argument sucks, Xtreme. Most people would agree with me on this, and saying that someone is sad for doing one particular thing, is pretty sad. Why do you even care that they do such a thing? I mean, I'm probably not making much sense here, but if you brought a Hot Dog, just because you brought a Hot Dog, does that make you sad by someone else? Just because you like eating Hot Dogs?

The same argument applies here. Just because you like it, does not make you sad? Some people enjoy recognition, and lets be fair here, we're not always the most popular people in real life, so just because you seem to have some sort of 'fantastic' social life with your friends, does not mean that you have to bash everyone else in the same way.

Opinion, not fact. And I would stop listening to this guy now, as he comes out with some incredible BS.

EDIT:

In football, it's different because it's a completely different thing. You can't make a comparison between a video-game (that is currently being played by a few hundred people) and the King of sports (which is an actual career for thousands of people and played by millions). Horrible analogy.

Actually, that is a very good analogy. They are the same thing, just different scales.

Propkid

Maaan... hot dogs... :D
Nothing more to add, Fire just explained it all.

I am going to university this year and I will gladly read any of the books they give me because they're probably important things I need to read to do well and learn things about computing which is what I'm paying to learn about

but for now I never read any long walls of text threads because most are garbage which probably could have been shorted to 1 paragraph anyways
Gah... that's why you scan something before you read it. You are absolutely right with the 'most are garbage' part... but I'm not most >.<
Am I fighting for recognition in here? Is this my 'forum motivation'? Am I answering him just to feel better about myself? AAARRGGHH!!

Xtreme

shaska's bff
ffs.

All this kid comes out with is opinion dressed as fact. I'm pissed off with it. Propkid is 100% right as well.

I play the game for some recognition, some enjoyment, some skills. I don't play it for one single reason, and that is why your argument sucks, Xtreme. Most people would agree with me on this, and saying that someone is sad for doing one particular thing, is pretty sad. Why do you even care that they do such a thing? I mean, I'm probably not making much sense here, but if you brought a Hot Dog, just because you brought a Hot Dog, does that make you sad by someone else? Just because you like eating Hot Dogs?

The same argument applies here. Just because you like it, does not make you sad? Some people enjoy recognition, and lets be fair here, we're not always the most popular people in real life, so just because you seem to have some sort of 'fantastic' social life with your friends, does not mean that you have to bash everyone else in the same way.

Opinion, not fact. And I would stop listening to this guy now, as he comes out with some incredible BS.

EDIT:

Actually, that is a very good analogy. They are the same thing, just different scales.

I have to give you some credit for having a go at this. I'll admit that I sound like some stuck up fucker who's sitting on pineneedles. But - and I'm being serious now - it is universally sad if you play video-games so that you can simulate feelings that you should be deriving from reality. I'm not saying we'll kill you if you do it, it's just sad you absolutely need that emotional refill from people you barely even know. I don't know why you mentioned my fantastic social life (even though it is fantastic :) ) but I'm not trying to bash anyone in any way. I just pointed something out.

Oh and if you think I come up with incredible bullshit, that's for you to judge while reading my posts; if you feel the need to reply to my posts by saying that I'm posting bullshit, then that's also sad.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I have to give you some credit for having a go at this.

Thanks, I guess ...

I'll admit that I sound like some stuck up fucker who's sitting on pineneedles. But - and I'm being serious now - it is universally sad if you play video-games so that you can simulate feelings that you should be deriving from reality. I'm not saying we'll kill you if you do it, it's just sad you absolutely need that emotional refill from people you barely even know. I don't know why you mentioned my fantastic social life (even though it is fantastic :) ) but I'm not trying to bash anyone in any way. I just pointed something out.

Why do you feel the need to take this to a personal level? And stop being an arrogant ass, no one cares about your fantastic social life. (even though it is apparently fantastic :) ) If this is your attitude, take it somewhere *dancing* else. No one wants to listen to you.

Oh and if you think I come up with incredible bullshit, that's for you to judge while reading my posts; if you feel the need to reply to my posts by saying that I'm posting bullshit, then that's also sad.

Uhuhuhuhuhuh.

I think I'll stop right here, as you are clearly not seeing my point of view, and I have no intention of wasting my time on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.