Why do so few regularly play Sentinel?

Karnage

Private Tester
You tell me that this is what they should listen? :)

If you gonna ram into OR standing on the stand while trying to grab the flag then you're doing something terribly wrong. On small maps the speed sent can archive is not very slow really. My point to have 3 LD rather than putting one as HoF is simple since I find 2 chasers to be far more effective on most maps than HoF that will eventually fail against cap train.

True thing is that good chasers are rare and unfortunately I can't get them all on a single team on PUGs to prove this to be the best way to play the game. Has happend few times tho when other team captain didn't have a clue who to pick on first few rounds. Fortunate is that there's been increasement of good chasers lately. More chance to get few of them on the same team!
I do understand what you are saying and it can be a good strat but you must keep in mind that a good heavy can also chase for at least half a map (even the big ones) if he has the skills. In fact in the initial stages after a grab the heavy is often the first one to be able to get close to the enemy capper. I have used that to my advantage often.

We could argue strats all night though. My point was that if the heavy becomes a more 'fun' class to play you are going to have every noob using it and this worries me. If they can make sure that it still takes skill to master then I am perfectly happy.

Disci

Old man
Most new players (even if they are tribes veterans) are less willing to make their lives difficult for no reason and play with the Sentinel class.

I have to disagree this point right here. Biggest reason to not play sent is that it doesn't have a purpose. Why go HO when there is nothing to HO for? Being a HO was a great pleasure for most of us due the shear power it provided. Heavy was slow and easy target for lighter classes but once it archived it's destination it was THE pain in the ass to get rid of. I always remember heavy base trashing and clearing stand from HoF(which actually was effective and almost unstoppable force against cappers) in Tribes1. That's the purpose of a heavily armored class that has insane amount of fire power to do its task.

Send in HO to cause havoc and blow up things in quick periord of time and shortly after that when the disaster has calmed capper comes in and steals the rag on a stick. TACTICS PEOPLE, TACTICS! Atm sent is just like a normal Raider with increased armor, health and iOD. iOD is just one negative side of the class really and I would change it to green death + shield/ammo pack any day.

If they can make sure that it still takes skill to master then I am perfectly happy.

This will undoubtly be the case, don't worry.

stefygraff

Private Tester
meh, Disci can't think right, the euro games know well that when he is the captain in a pug, he dose not use a Hof. Obviously he hates the senti because it makes him fail often. Admit it! you fail to grab the flag when a good Hof is around!

A2

I can get past Carnage and Stefy's defense. JUST SAYIN'!
Anyhoo, I like the way the sentinel is right now. I'm not sure, what kind of changes can actually make the Sent much better than how it is now? (except infinite shields, 3CG's-at-once-like-thingy, homing missiles, invisibility, wall hack, aimbot, attractiveness etc..)

A2

I know! We put Seymour's head on one fatty, and Carnage's head on another. Perfect upgrade to a fatty.

DOS4/GW

I do think everything would be great as is were the Sent given a more powerful weapon. Clusters just don't cut it.

IsaacClarke

I think it is because so many players like to run routes they have, and when they put the sentinel on it screws up their trajectory and they find that they have to learn the map all over again.

Lin

I think more depth to the game solves this issue. Turrets/generators/base assets suddenly give HO a purpose, but only as long as they have the hard hitting weapons to back it up. Just giving us turrets or just a mortar won't cut it. They work together.

Karnage

Private Tester
I can get past Carnage and Stefy's defense. JUST SAYIN'!
Anyhoo, I like the way the sentinel is right now. I'm not sure, what kind of changes can actually make the Sent much better than how it is now? (except infinite shields, 3CG's-at-once-like-thingy, homing missiles, invisibility, wall hack, aimbot, attractiveness etc..)
In your dreams.

Immanent

1) I'm not some kind of dumbass. Honestly, it seems as if everyone these days take it for granted that their audience is brainless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5h1Sd6yYtU&feature=channel_video_title2) Also, if you play this game for recognition, you are absolutely sad. You should play this game for fun and gain recognition along the way, but you certainly shouldn't feel pressured to the point where you rip your balls off because you scored second in a game for once.

Back on topic, I find that sentinel is a relatively hard class to master because it's movement is limited, which implies that chasing/dueling/capping all become much harder unless you've practiced with it sufficiently.
3) Most new players (even if they are tribes veterans) are less willing to make their lives difficult for no reason and play with the Sentinel class.

1) you mean this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5h1Sd6yYtU&feature=channel_video_title
2) you're implying that all those people that made capping vids/ma vids/ skill vids and uploaded them onto youtube are SAD? Ohboy. Some want others to learn from it. Some want to be recognized: "OH LOOK IT's XX1284, better run from him or you will be in his next vid" ya?
3) sentinel is not difficult, it's only difficult because your using it for what it's NOT meant to be used for. Do you think using a 500 ton piece of metal to zip around a map and expect to "outfly" people is smart? Take a fat kid for example, don't expect it to run around catching Usain Bolts. So pls.
sentinels are meant for Defence more than flying around.

Royalty

The Aussie
Just curious. I hardly see more than two in a game, but often there are none at all. Is it because it because it has a limited role in CTF? Is it too hard to learn how to use effectively? Or do people find it not as fun to play?

I myself love playing it; instant OD can really mix up your opponent during a duel. That, and it seems many people assume that those who play as Sent usually aren't much of a challenge, and it's fun to surprise them.

I really wish more people would use the class. It makes the game so much more interesting.

I find Legions Overdrive is really about speed and movement. That's why I stick with outrider
smile.png

HVanquish

Well to actually be constructive and to answer the actual thread question of why there aren't many sentinels...
Sentinels take practice to be good at and people normally don't start their career playing Sentinel because it's not appealing to them. Probably from lack of speed and movement which is what the game is based around.