Most EU players say 'me'
:D

Heartsong

Nept
Filt3r
Xpress
Kryst
LOL SEE WHAT I DID GUYS?!?!!?!!!!

Lanthus was one of the most rapidly improving snipers back when I did play, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was the best active player at this point.

Propkid

A brief summary of how is this thread going:
Most US players say ' Nept, BLS, Lanthus ,SoulCryptic, Envy'
Most EU players say 'me'
:D
get off your *dancing* high horse.
1. Quote properly during your first post.
2. Amongst the people that I play L:O with e-peenery is something everyone likes to do once in a while for the lulz. I guess you're still herpderp serious about it...

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Since it appears to be the same names popping up, might as well close the thread before the whole thing flames up.

Reopened for my main squeeze, Phanakapan!

Also, anymore fighting in here and Seymour will close it up for good!

phanakapan

Private Tester
edit: Thanks!

I've been playing this game from the beginning and have capped and sniped at a high level for a long time. As such, I am approaching this topic based on my own experiences trying to avoid snipes and defending in tandem with high level snipers (damn kill stealers). When looking into what makes a sniper the best, there are a few things you absolutely have to look at.

1. PING - Ping plays an enormous role in how effective a player is with the current sniper, since the weapon is hit scan and the mechanic is point and click. Lower ping will automatically make you a better sniper, as you will not have to predict the movement of your target as far in advance. This means that snipers who are effective with higher pings would be that much better with lower ping.

2. MOVEMENT - There are two categories of movement that factor into this discussion.

The obvious one is the movement of your target. As I just mentioned, lower ping makes predicting movement less difficult on a base level. More important in this discussion is how well the sniper innately understands the long term movement of their target. Most snipers learn fairly quickly when a target is easiest to hit (at the peaks of their arcs, when floating vs. skiing, when flying in a straight path to or from your position). The things that set great snipers apart from average snipers is understanding the mentally of good cappers and adjusting to the strategies used to avoid the standard sniping times. Good cappers must understand what makes them an easy target in order to avoid being one. As such, they will dodge, swerve, slow down, downjet, etc. when they are typically most vulnerable (at peaks, just before and after grabbing, etc). They will actively use curving routes and the terrain to make their paths irregular and unpredictable. This results in a sort of mind game between the capper actively avoiding the predictions of the sniper, and the sniper actively predicting the avoidance behaviors of the capper. As a result, the times when shots are most effective may change. It will often be more difficult to hit a good capper at their peak than it will be as they are about to leave an upslope or tuck behind a lip in the terrain. A good sniper should be able to monitor the jet usage of their target to predict when they will be less able to actively avoid their snipes as well, say when they are trying to make it to a desired hill, or just before or after a peak in their arc when they are saving up to downjet or swerve. I often see average snipers miss a target as he swerves at his peak only to see a better sniper get the kill a half second later when the cappers jets are diminished and they are refocused on where they want to land.

The second aspect of movement is the snipers own movement. As a result of the avoidance behaviors of cappers, it is often more beneficial to move rather than stand in place as a sniper. This is often referred to as chase sniping. The primary benefit of actively changing positions in relation to your target while sniping is it makes the target less sure of when and how best to avoid the snipe. Most capper avoidance behavior is reactive to the idea of a sniper in a fixed position near the flag. When the sniper changes position, it means the capper may be strafing at an angle to the flag, but they may be in a perfectly straight line with the snipers new position. When the sniper is actively following the target, matching speed and arcs during a chase, it will often improve the angle and the amount of time that the target is in a straight line or an arc or floating while conserving jets. It will often mean that terrain typically used to obscure the view of a sniper near the flag will no longer be in the way of a clear shot. It has the added benefit of allowing the sniper to be closer to the target, meaning they can be slightly less pixel perfect and still hit a shot. The obvious drawback, is instead of predicting one movement variable, you have to adjust your aim based on both the angle of your own movement and the target's movement. Additionally, you must keep a keen eye on your jets, as any amount of jet use will lower your potential damage output.

3. AWARENESS - This barely needs to be discussed as it affects any players effectiveness in any position, but I feel like many people still don't understand what truly separates average players from great players. With regard to sniping, I see a lot of difference in players when it comes to choosing the correct target, where to stand, when to duel LO versus when to ignore them, when to use a secondary weapon versus snipe, when to chase versus when to stay at home, etc. It's the little things that really start to add up when you think about what separates average players from great players. Lots of people have great aim, but have no idea what to do with it.

In conclusion, if I had to pick some standouts when it came to sniping, I would say Lanthus is definitely the most impressive sniper to me. He consistently plays with 100+ ping, is extremely consistent, and when I cap it's clear that he understands all of what I discussed above. There are others who are impressive as well: Envy, Kryst, Hannibal, BLS, Nept, etc. The main difference is all of them have much lower ping. Just my two cents.

tl;dr - Lanthus is the best.

WhiteHawk

Dear god, you cannot be trained to snipe well. All I can recommend you is to play fast paced fps games, like ut, quake, cod promods. The 'best sniper' will not teach you anything in a legions environment.
I know u can't relly trian them but at least give a few tips......right now I'm just finding ouut everything out by myself.....

Status
Not open for further replies.