Best/Decent Hof In legions?

skypredator

I tried Heavy at one point solely because I laughed really hard at those insane mortar kills. It really is funny, for some reason. I didn't stick to it, though. It felt as if I was leaving chaining and fail sniping for good, which was bad 'cos I love those things. What I think makes a good HoF is when the said player has always played HoF and loves it thoroughly. You know you love your job if you're eager to get up and do it. If one loves their job enough, they should do it quite well, in most cases.

Homingun

if playing hof is shallow you're doing it wrong. or doing it against the wrong players.
It's as shallow as your nose.

Not to dig up an older thread, but I just noticed that my first reply was moderated. I'll try to be a bit nicer this time and explain why I think the position is shallow.

One can be effective as a HoF by just knowing how to IOD. The position usually involves finding those brilliant jet trails in the sky and ODing when the dot at the head of those trails gets close to the flag. Sure there are some micro skills that go along with this but they mostly center around IOD. On standoffs, it's usually catch flag, soak up damage, pass flag, and respawn (all with generous use of IOD of course); rinse and repeat.

You don't need to know energy management. You don't need to know how to duel. You don't need to know how to ski even. Now that I think about it, you don't even need to know how to shoot. Would knowing these make you more versatile and not need a babysitter at base? Probably. But are they essential for a HoF? No. To illustrate my point, here are a couple instances: take out weapons, energy, or skiing and a HoF can still be effective; take out IOD and the position becomes invalid (players playing other classes could do everything that a heavy without IOD can do). This is why I find the class and position shallow, boring, and with the addition of the mortar, silly. A secondary extreme maneuverability mechanic has become the center point for a heavy class.

I might not be one of the best players in the game (those who think they are the best usually need to look outside their jerk circle), but I have played enough of the game to make a sound judgment on its mechanics. On a side note, being nice to assholes is hard and moderation is apparently a joke (the image I had posted was a copy paste from a couple other popular threads).

anak

VIP
non-standoff: constantly watch 360 degrees for incoming cappers, duel the constant stream of LOers and failed cappers who will focus you, block & spike (rocket) incoming cappers who will power straight through you if you get the angle wrong by a single degree, catch the floating flag passes that cappers throw you from across the map before the enemy chasers with 4x your maneuverability do.

standoff: avoid the 5 offense aiming directly for you, get the flag to your teammates before you die (with the afore-mentioned offense constantly midairing you if you lose speed or altitude), get the flag from your dying teammate from the middle of the fray and get out again with the flag and without dying. you're also constantly listening to the communications of your offense to figure out when the flag will be home and who needs to be on or off the stand when it gets back.

the hof is the stalwart of your defense. if he can't do ALL of these things at once, the defense will probably fail and the hof player will be blamed. if you can't use energy management you are instantly killed when you catch the flag. if you can't duel you will be destroyed by the offenseand will always be dead when enemy cappers come in. of course you don't need to ski; you don't leave the base. i think you have it backwards actually. the iOD has become a trivial tool in the hof's arsenal in comparison to his aim. the angle you have when playing hof is PERFECT for defending, especially since he has the health to stay at that angle. its the angle that most LD players who like to midair incoming cappers mimick because midairing them from that angle is pretty much a cakewalk. Cappers are WAY too smart these days to fall for a simple OD block. even if they do get redirected, they almost always keep ALL of their speed and manage to do a recovery OD and putz away with the flag. if you can't midair the capper on his way in, on the stand, or on his way out, hes basically gone. you know as well as i do how impotent the iOD has become. you usually manage to completely ignore mine every time you cap on me on any small map if i miss my rocket.

you ARE one of the best players in the game. stop faking.

Homingun

non-standoff: constantly watch 360 degrees for incoming cappers
defense usually calls incomings and it's not hard to see brilliant jet trails or hear whine of jets.

duel the constant stream of LOers and failed cappers who will focus you
dueling when flag is on stand...

block & spike (rocket) incoming cappers who will power straight through you if you get the angle wrong by a single degree
First time I've seen stand splashing being refereed to as hard. The blocking angle thing is stupidly exaggerated.

catch the floating flag passes that cappers throw you from across the map before the enemy chasers with 4x your maneuverability do.
Pretty sure IOD gives a lot more maneuverability than any other classes normal jets.

you know as well as i do how impotent the iOD has become. you usually manage to completely ignore mine every time you cap on me on any small map if i miss my rocket.

And please don't put words in my mouth. When this was happening I told you to cut across the me(capper) with IOD rather than going straight into me. ODing straight into a fast capper OD usually just nudges them and makes it easy to recover and go for the recovery grab.

I could keep going and pick apart the post but I don't have the time nor do I feel like being a jerk. This is already turning into a circle jerk; makes me wonder why I bothered replying. Feels as though that pic I posted was the perfect response.

anak

VIP
jets are pretty much impossible to see now, IMO. and head-on OD only works if its literally head-on, otherwise it just nudges. and IOD gives you maneuverability like NOS gives you speed; its much harder to wait. i dont give a crap about this game anymore. bye

Karnage

Private Tester
Altho Anak is usually a (insert bad word) I have to agree with him here, more than a hundred percent. He has hit the nail on the head.

Gravis

You know, you'd think someone like Karnage would have smaller ping being from Asia and all, but I guess this is the exception to the stereotype. His huge ping brings rape upon unwitting cappers.

/seewhatididthar?