Admin Announcements

Propkid

You shouldn't force casual-gamers to play competitively. If they wanted to, they could have gone to the forums and picked up Ts3 and the info. We did a good job of making the forums part of the actual site this time. Let them come if they want to.
Not really. TBH I wouldn't start up PuGs if not Fireblasto and other convincing me. It's the same in every game where an actual end-game is present; there are the 'elitists' playing organized matches and the 'casuals' in publics. The problem is that many of the casuals would enjoy playing organized matches. They just don't try the end-game due to not knowing the community, being afraid of failing or just not knowing how fun it is/ that it exists. This is why the MMO analogy is often used in L:O when talking about PuGs and such.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
Not really. TBH I wouldn't start up PuGs if not Fireblasto and other convincing me. It's the same in every game where an actual end-game is present; there are the 'elitists' playing organized matches and the 'casuals' in publics. The problem is that many of the casuals would enjoy playing organized matches. They just don't try the end-game due to not knowing the community, being afraid of failing or just not knowing how fun it is/ that it exists. This is why the MMO analogy is often used in L:O when talking about PuGs and such.

That still doesn't give anyone reason to force all of the non-pug gamers to play competitively.

lolwut mmo analogy

Propkid

That still doesn't give anyone reason to force all of the non-pug gamers to play competitively.
y

I've suggested this a few times but I haven't seen anyone really respond to it, but I believe the admin announcements (I've seen Mabel change the text toward the top of your game screen) should be used to announce PUGs

When you see a text on your screen saying (for example) 'Euro PuG starting in 15 minutes. Captains: Solid, Fireblasto. 3 spaces left' do you feel forced to join?
Neither will others.

This is why the MMO analogy is often used in L:O when talking about PuGs and such.
lolwut mmo analogy
http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/another-one-of-my-messages-to-the-devs.1486/#post-24768
And no, I don't feel like searching for more examples of this analogy being used just cause you are 'lolwut'ing at the idea.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
They should turn into PuG-gamers

I still don't get people would wouldn't just let them come to the community. I'd imagine most of the pub community has a forum account and could easily look for the ts3 unfo if they wanted to come.

Propkid

I still don't get people would wouldn't just let them come to the community. I'd imagine most of the pub community has a forum account and could easily look for the ts3 unfo if they wanted to come.
Not everyone digs into forums, especially if they play many games and don't stick to one. IMO admin announcements would somehow let people know that *chocolate cookies* is happening. I mean, we can all agree that at times PUBs are unbearable. What does one do when he's in a crappy PUB? Go on the forums in hope to find info about some unlisted and more fun game mode for Legions? Not everyone is aware of organized gaming, and even if so they don't know whether it's good or not. Admin announcements would make people more aware, that's about it. Nobody is being forced into anything.

Ontopic: if we do this we should also have the winners announced. This worked really well in Guild Wars with Heroes Ascend (the ultimate, cross-continental organized PvP arena. You win= players on your continent get access to special areas). Every newblood dreamed to be announced one day :D

GReaper

Grumpy
Global announcements is most likely a no. Each server is an individual thing, whilst I'm sure it might be possible, in the long run we want to release the dedicated server - doing announcements on other players servers isn't really what I want to see.

Better support for server announcements is certainly something that should come in future though.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
Not everyone digs into forums, especially if they play many games and don't stick to one. IMO admin announcements would somehow let people know that *chocolate cookies* is happening. I mean, we can all agree that at times PUBs are unbearable. What does one do when he's in a crappy PUB? Go on the forums in hope to find info about some unlisted and more fun game mode for Legions? Not everyone is aware of organized gaming, and even if so they don't know whether it's good or not. Admin announcements would make people more aware, that's about it. Nobody is being forced into anything.
Makes sense.

Ontopic: if we do this we should also have the winners announced. This worked really well in Guild Wars with Heroes Ascend (the ultimate, cross-continental organized PvP arena. You win= players on your continent get access to special areas). Every newblood dreamed to be announced one day :D
+1 ego points!!1

Global announcements is most likely a no. Each server is an individual thing, whilst I'm sure it might be possible, in the long run we want to release the dedicated server - doing announcements on other players servers isn't really what I want to see.

Better support for server announcements is certainly something that should come in future though.

I don't understand why. These announcements don't have to be broadcasted on private servers, just the public ones would be perfectly fine. Hell, even right now admins are able to (if they know how) announce things on individual servers (I'm assuming these only stay in one server), why can't you make it a feature so they can announce it across all public servers?

And again, this could be useful for many different reasons (Legions Live, PUGs, server downtimes, etc.).