The Future of Legions - Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicles will just slow down the game and they're also hard to balance, note how many people complain about the Shrike's maneuverability, but if it's buffed, it'd be OP.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
My mod Legions Aero tried to make new classes, but really all that happened was some classes that would be horrendously OP in practice. Likewise when I tried creating an energy regen core similar to the Pathfinder's one in T:A. It was completely boring to play as but very OP since you would outrun everything.

Defender

Vehicles will just slow down the game and they're also hard to balance, note how many people complain about the Shrike's maneuverability, but if it's buffed, it'd be OP.

Thats the reason they would be in a vehicle game mode only, and ran on vehicle designed maps.
You would still have your normal, no vehicle game mode.
Unreal Tournament 2003, had vehicle game modes...;)

Bestking

Its great for it to be on Unity3D, and also a bonus is that Unity3D is free, so we can edit maps and stuff like that!

Libra

well i'm all in for this new engine i just wonder what would happen to thee good old legion we have here

Defender

well i'm all in for this new engine i just wonder what would happen to thee good old legions we have here

Its not going to disappear, unless the Devs remove the master server for it. I would hope we can still get little code updates for it once in a while.
This game is still worth keeping around even after the new Legions comes out..

Fixious

Test Lead
I don't think that's quite right. IAC (InterActiveCorp) owned IA/GG. They simply kept hold of the IP (along with Marble Blast, Lore, etc) when they shutdown IA and let the community devs continue work on it without pay. They still own the IP and likely will for a long time unless some buyer pops up.

Defender

With the upcoming 140 patch, Its nice to know the Dev team is closer to finishing the current Legions game, before making a new Legions game...;)

Maxter

Will the physics/movement mechanics of the game when developed using the new engine be any different from what they are now? My concern is that this game's most prominent positive trait is it's game mechanics. If that changes too much or moves too far away from the original, it's going to be a waste.

Armageddon

Teapot
Will the physics/movement mechanics of the game when developed using the new engine be any different from what they are now? My concern is that this game's most prominent positive trait is it's game mechanics. If that changes too much or moves too far away from the original, it's going to be a waste.

If anything i'd say the unity engine opens up more possibilities for better and more advanced movement (like Parkour movements, Tumbling and finally Ragdoll) in legions based on all the games and demos i've been looking at using Unity.
One thing i haven't seen yet on Unity is an FPS+Z game, I've seen a few games employ vehicles like jets etc but nothing like a jet pack type flight. I'm sure jetting won't be too hard to re-code onto unity since i've seen Tribes like flight coded into the Source engine, Unreal 3 engine and ID Tech II & III engine.

As for scale, that really seems to be hit and miss with most of the games i've been looking at. I think that will fall more on how the devs handle it.

Defender

If the next Legions game was going to be massive like Tribes2. Huge maps, vehicle combat on a massive scale, I would go with T3D.
After readying a bit about Unity, its does seem like a good choice for smaller games like Legions.
If the free engine version lets you make a good game, its a darn good deal...
Here is a nice looking Unity map, that could look like something we could see in the next Legions..

Status
Not open for further replies.