The Future of Legions - Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Got a few new names for you. Planetwars, Vaporwars, Planetrevolt, Earth Revolution 3845.

WTF-Picard.jpg

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Planetrevolt
The first time I read that, I thought it said PlanetVolt lol.

In regards to the name, I haven't found anything that would be much of a conflict. Of course, as poor Stardock found out recently, publishing the game Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion was enough for Rebellion (the game dev company) to sue. Stupid lawsuit, yes (and they'd better lose), but it still occurred. As Pop said however, we are in the early stages and are going with Legions II right now for lack of a better name.

Voltage

Puzzlemaster
Being an aspiring games developer, I tried out Unity a year ago, and its really impressive. +1 for this decision, and a heartfelt thanks to all you developers!

Defender

The first time I read that, I thought it said PlanetVolt lol.

It did, but PlanetRevolt, sounds better..
Wonder if platetside would sue over that name?
I kinda like the name PlanetaryRevolt, but unfortunatly its used in some starwars crap.
Its just seems better to me, If you guys are going to make a complete new game, you should own the IP and game this time around..

moronval

Private Tester
Good luck to you guys, keep us updated - transparency is what keeps people interested and from losing faith in the project.

Defender

I love you guys
HAVE MY BABYS
will this engine be able to project water ??

The current TGEA engine we are on now can project water vary well..
TG3D, has much better water physics, not sure if its better the Unity..
Moving this game to T3D, is the way to go...
Starting from scratch would take way to long..
The terrains and structures from are current maps could be ported directly to T3D..
All the models, and game code would port over well too.
If the Dev team just wants to start over in a new engine, good for them..
Buts its going to be a lot of work to make a game from scratch.. The legions player physics, jetting, skiing, will be hard to recode in a new engine.. I am no engine coder, but I have coding experiance in making mods for Tribes1, Tribes2, Legends, Legions.

Synista

I don't see the big moan in a completely new engine but good luck with all the hard work you devs are doing.

Defender

I don't see the big moan in a completely new engine but good luck with all the hard work you devs are doing.

The big mistake they made in Tribes2 was to switch engines.
They could have took the tribes2 engine and made it look much better in the graphics area.
Then reused a lot of the tribes2 game code to make tribes3.. After they switched engines, the game was on new tech and not many tribes2 mappers or modders knew how to work with it.. Also we found out they gutted the engine so bad, it could not be modded much at all..

Unreal Tournament, just kept updating the same engine and making it better for each new game with out starting over on a complete new engine and game code. The unreal modding and mapping community could just kept growing because they alread knew how to mod or map, when the next game came out.

scoot

Maybe Legions: Overhaul would be a fitting name.

Also, where can I donate to the devs to support their work? The donate button on the Legions site doesn't do anything currently.

Defender

If they just switched to T3d, they would have a lot less work in creating the next Legions game, and much more time to take Legions to the next level.. Im talking about adding vehicle combat on a massive scale.. Only have it enabled for large maps, like Planetside has and more..
Basicly they would be making what tribes4, could have been.. The vehicle code is not to hard to do, a lot of it is already in T3d.. Even I know how to code vehicles with cool weapons on TGE.. did it in Legends. Making the new vehicle models, would be a lot of work...

Defender

Good luck with it, i also hope the netcode is better than this *chocolate cookies*.
Tribes2, runs on an older version of the same engine this game runs on and was able to have good 40 player games with good pings if the server did not suck... Maybe its video lag your having, witch is ofton an issue because we cant adjust are settings much..
In my opinion, part of the problem could be because players move so fast in this game, witch uses more server cpu and bandwidth to manage it all and update clients playing on the server. Faster mods in tribes2 ofton had more lag... I am for slowing the game down by 25%, witch should be better for everyone, especially for new players. We can have server setting to make it faster, like a mutator mod would in Unreal Tournament...

Defender

What I meant was this current netcode gives way too much advantage for low pingers over higher ones.

Its not the netcode, its the lack of settings for it in Legions...
The Legions team needs to give better control for server packet settings to server admins..
If you run a server on tribes2, you can adjust those settings lower witch evens out the playing field.
limiting the packet size and rate, evens it out between low ping players and high ping players..
Also with lower packet size and rate you can host more players on your server, witch is always nice..
right now low ping players suck up way to much bandwidth..
I hate to be a know it all, but I ran a server back in 2001, and had 30 players on many a night...

Status
Not open for further replies.