Mortars

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Actually I've just found out that it's not even a typo, but a valid way to spell that word. Just one that I'm not used to and didn't even know it existed. Mea culpa.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
HoF is called Heavy on Flag for a reason. If an outrider is standing on the flag he is really just asking for it.

I disagree, my chasing tactics and my entire sniping routine and defending the flag means having to be right next to the flag. It is my play style. A sentinel play style is different, where he should be blocking cappers. Spamming the flag stand is only the last option, and it is not right that a 1 K/O weapon can take out a capper, even if he has full health. A weapon like that is simply overpowered.

I'm not saying that it should be nerfed by a massive amount, only a slightly decreased damage (i.e. 90% on a outrider so the weapon can still be very deadly if used correctly) but to make up for this, perhaps more splash is needed and even more knockback to make it useful for HO spamming the enemy D.

Karnage

Private Tester
I hate it when outriders and raiders stand on the flag with me. Invariably they block my view, get in my way and just generally make a nuisance of themselves. If that is your playing style you might want to consider modifying it. HoF. Heavy on Flag, not LoF.

Ehhh Pubs are the only thing why this game still exists. Pugs are just a random assembly of dedicated players who search for competitive matches. If you think that Pubs are less important you might aswell throw this game away.

It may not be a serious issue in this case but you better be careful with your statements.
So by your logic then any developments should be based on PUBs seeing as those are the most common type of encounter. Hmmm, I think you may want to rethink that. You should be careful with your statements.

If the game must get better we must give them the sacred symbol...........$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
because its wrong to play this game for years relying on the devs money to make this game better.It is wrong of us to demand so much things. Since you know..lack of funds. SO lets get together and raise the $$

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I hate it when outriders and raiders stand on the flag with me. Invariably they block my view, get in my way and just generally make a nuisance of themselves. If that is your playing style you might want to consider modifying it. HoF. Heavy on Flag, not LoF.

It happens to work quite well actually, gives me a place where I can be the most effective I can be. As a sniper and as Home D. You seem to be particularly against tactics you have not tried yourself, and not worked with players who can actually do the tactic effectively.

As for blocking your view, I don't stand on the flag, I just stand close to it, i.e. the raised ledges on the frostbyte map. The only time I get shot up by heavies is when I try and do contagious OD, which is usually not directly on the flag stand, and when the sentinels have bad aim, which is usually a given.

RiPTaCk

So by your logic then any developments should be based on PUBs seeing as those are the most common type of encounter. Hmmm, I think you may want to rethink that. You should be careful with your statements.
If it doesn't work in Pubs then why develop something?

Karnage

Private Tester
If it doesn't work in Pubs then why develop something?
The difference is that in a PUB you will get people who abuse what is available and who do not play according to the 'rules'. Imagine a rugby (it's what I know) game where people just decided to do their own thing. You wouldn't then change the rules, the size of the field, the posts, the ball etc. just because people abused these things. A PUB is an uncontrolled situation whereas in a match or scrim you will find the real thing where people play according to the way it's 'supposed' to be.

Karnage

Private Tester
It happens to work quite well actually, gives me a place where I can be the most effective I can be. As a sniper and as Home D. You seem to be particularly against tactics you have not tried yourself, and not worked with players who can actually do the tactic effectively.

As for blocking your view, I don't stand on the flag, I just stand close to it, i.e. the raised ledges on the frostbyte map. The only time I get shot up by heavies is when I try and do contagious OD, which is usually not directly on the flag stand, and when the sentinels have bad aim, which is usually a given.
Look the point is that if you are on the flag stand you need to expect to take damage both from your own team and the enemy team. That is what one comes to expect as a HoF. Being a heavy I can take it though. If you are in an outrider on the flag and you think you are not going to take friendly fire then you are just being naive.

HVanquish

Carnage and others are talking about mortaring enemy people as offense. If you took away damage and left the knockback radius and maybe even expand it, it would do nearly the same job. The point is to knock people back with it, not wreck their faces. And this is coming from a HoF as well.

Carnage and others are talking about mortaring enemy people as offense. If you took away damage and left the knockback radius and maybe even expand it, it would do nearly the same job. The point is to knock people back with it, not wreck their faces. And this is coming from a HoF as well.
no it won't be the same job, it will only boost them away where they can't be chased sometimes
and you already have an instant od use that to knock them off and use the mortar to kill them and btw you can't defend yourself properly with only chaingun or plasma and rockets or blaster
if the custom loadouts could make the mortar either push or damage that would be better after the devs put the pushy mortar to test first

HVanquish

no it won't be the same job, it will only boost them away where they can't be chased sometimes... and btw you can't defend yourself properly with only chaingun or plasma and rockets or blaster
First part: Apparently you don't know what you're supposed to do on LO
Second part: lol

jago

just a suggestion why don't the devs make it so there can only be 2 sents per team so there wont be too many throwing mortars around, obviously that would be a 8 vs 8 game 12 vs 12 maybe 3 per team

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
I think the thing that bugs me the most, is that it's such a powerful weapon, it makes the new people think "WOW, I MUST ALWAYS USE THAT WEAPON.", therefore multiplying the spam-age.

Also, the argument; "Oh if he's a noob then why don't you just kill him.", is void since the weapon is so powerful it brings the wielder to a higher level of volatility (if they get one hit on you, you're dead).

[I hope this makes sense, I wrote it at 1:37AM, don't hurt meh if it's a pile of bollocks.]

I just came from A public Test server and as i joined in for defense...In less than a minute i was team killed by my own team with with mortars. And this went on for 5 minutes.. and the bad thing was. I was no where near they were shooting at the enemy. I really think that mortar should be used HoF only.. and not some sort of attacking weapon like rocket chain gun and so forth. Isn't that more sensible right 57th sents? ;)

jago

I think the thing that bugs me the most, is that it's such a powerful weapon, it makes the new people think "WOW, I MUST ALWAYS USE THAT WEAPON.", therefore multiplying the spam-age.

this make me frown, we were all new players at some point and all had to learn the game and how to play it correctly so give the new players a break its not their fault...we should be showing them.
I think the suggestion i made would solve the problems that concern many of players who posted in this topic

Wisefallen

In my experience, people will always b****, whine, and moan about the most powerful weapon in a game. I feel that there's no reason the mortar should be nerfed when the majority of the community has no problem with it. I also think there's no problem with the mortar in Pubs. Sure, there might be more TK'ing, but this will decrease as more people learn to use the weapon properly and the novelty wears off. The mortar seems to me to be a great equalizer as far as the Heavy is concerned and I believe it's a great addition to the game. Just my 2¢ ...