Mortars

HVanquish

I just think that they're ridiculous. And I don't care if the only reason why you're suddenly killing people is because of the mortar. In my opinion, the mortar should have the exact same affect for knocking people around, but do less or no damage. This way it seems more like a blocking weapon (what a HoF should be) and less of a trolling weapon for offense and outgoing cappers.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
Yes, a mortar that inflicts no damage - very appropriate :rolleyes:

Also it seems as if the tk rate has slightly increased.

Not because of the weapon itself, but because most people don't know how to use it and assume that it is appropriate to spam whenever someone approaches the flagstand.

RiPTaCk

Not because of the weapon itself, but because most people don't know how to use it and assume that it is appropriate to spam whenever someone approaches the flagstand.
Thats the point. If the mortar would go live then we would have all the kiddies spam it in Pubs. Aren't Pubs bad enough? Do we have to implement weapons like mortar or new gl to be spammed in Pubs?

The mortar works fine in Pugs but what about the Pubs?

Xtreme

shaska's bff
The mortar works fine in Pugs but what about the Pubs?

Are you kidding? Do you think this is the first time something doesn't accommodate pub players smoothly? Don't you think there were issues like these in t1 and t2? Just because people are not experienced enough to use a weapon properly doesn't mean it shouldn't be implemented. We might as well not do anything to the game anymore if it means pubs being flooded with "kiddies spamming" etc. Yes, remove the mortar and bring back the clusters :cool:

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I don't care if the mortar still does damage, but being able to one shot a class is ridiculous.

Agreed, 80-90% of direct damage seems right for it so that outrider still has a chance at surviving. But still leave massive damage on the enemy.

I'm also a fan of the the knock around effect, perhaps have that amplified in someway to make up for the damage?

Also it seems as if the tk rate has slightly increased.

Yeah, especially if you're playing outrider, and my play style for defence usually involves me getting close to the the flag to stop cappers + contagious OD.

RiPTaCk

Just because people are not experienced enough to use a weapon properly doesn't mean it shouldn't be implemented.
No it doesn't but the mortar has too much damage output so in this case I'd say yes.
Are you kidding? Do you think this is the first time something doesn't accommodate pub players smoothly?
I'm not talking about it not accomodating pub players. The mortar hinders gameplay of others. So many people getting killed when trying to grab a flag thats not on the flagstand, and not just ennemies. Plenty of other scenarios.
We might as well not do anything to the game anymore if it means pubs being flooded with "kiddies spamming" etc. Yes, remove the mortar and bring back the clusters,
Now your talking nonsense.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] The mortar hinders gameplay of others. [...]
It's a weapon. It kills players. The gameplay of others usually involves not getting killed.

In my opinion, the Mortar is totally fine, including the one-hit-kills. The only thing that could be toned down a bit are those ultra-close direct hits (= a slightly(!) longer arming time).

jago

The only thing that could be toned down a bit are those ultra-close direct hits (= a slightly(!) longer arming time). totally agree

I think the mortar is cool but I understand your point. Outrider capper and full hp. He hits flag and *boom* Liquefied. SO yeah Mortar for blocking would be nice. Just like how the sent would OD into an incoming capper :3 Block mortar + plasma gun would be pretty effective.

jago

i like how everyone spams it on pub's. so fun to play in test servers >.>
they only spam because they have no idea how to use it correctly like those who stand around the flag when your trying to defend it they wonder why you have just killed them when your on the same team . the mortar is excellent for when you have two or more pesky cappers coming for that grab just plop in a mortar both cappers taken care of

I have gotten criticized and bad worded at more than once because I killed a team mate with mortar. And one time my team mate had the flag. I was defending him, I shot at the enemy thus killing him and my team mate with with flag. But mortar also helps with the flag. Where per say the enemy drops your flag and a bunch of the enemy is going to pick it up lets say.. 5-7. One measily rocket that you shoot at the flag won't stop them from getting it. But you use a mortar.... the flag flies far away hoping one of your team mates are near by to return it and as a bonus killing some of the enemy.