Legions International Competitive League - Launch

57thEnryu

Okay, so to be clear (and technical) - we are allowed one HoF but HoF is a position not a loadout. Does that mean we could have an HO (and maybe even more than one)? Not joking here. Some teams use HO as a primary tactic (Broccoli/PWA *cough*) and I don't know if it's right to say only one heavy is allowed seeing as the heavy is quite...um...versatile these days.
HO is fine, you can have a team full of heavy's if you want, only 1 HoF tho

@Enryu: Just because you happen to agree with the idea of position restrictions does not mean they should exist. As a tournament manager, I would expect you to be open to everyone's ideas, not just the one's you agree with. Instead of dividing the community on this, why not entertain suggestions? Obviously those previous 2 sentences are moot if you are still open to discussion on position restrictions (I sort of guessed you meant you were open to specific rules excluding position restrictions). If this is the case, then Ucan is a fool for quoting you (apart from his usual foolishness :p).

OT: Can you clarify what you mean by no turtling? Do you mean something like Team 1 is up 8-7 and decides to all go D?
Yes, I am trying to, but with all the gaff and all its hard to tell what ppl want (aside from to complain). I wont take out position restrictions, but I will change them if a majority asks to do so.

as for turtling, it means no grabbing the enemy flag and holding it forever without capping it. If you hold onto the flag without making an attempt to cap it when your flag is home, that is disqualification.

Karnage

Private Tester
See, when Fireblasto voices a legitimate complaint, you just hop on the bandwagon and shut him down. Instead of just snapping at him, why not actually look at what his gripe is, and address your position respectfully? While I liked the overall tournament, I disagree with a couple aspects (position limits being one of them). By setting these constraints on team composition, you are inhibiting different types of strategy (double HOF, sweeper + sah snipe/chase, etc.) It just makes the game boring. Actual strategy/adaptation to new strategy can only happen when there aren't any artificial limits placed on how we play legions. If a team goes double HOF, other teams will adapt to this strategy and know how to effectively counter it. It's like playing NR20 on Starcraft or something.

Just my 2 cents. As for trophies, I don't think they are needed.

Er...Fireblasto is not exactly known for his generosity of spirit and good manners. The reason he gets flak is really his own doing because people have come to expect him to behave a certain way based on their experience of him. If he tidied up his attitude people might be more inclined to listen. That said, I do like what you are saying about the rules...

Just for the record, i agree that class restrictions are a bad idea. But you know why i put them? Because i had it open for discussion in my tournament thread and it is what most people wanted. You can never please everyone, as you all may know from previous changes to the sniper rifle in Legions and what not. BUT you can please a majority of them and that is why i put it as a rule for class limitations and took out certain maps.

So again, it was against it but since the people wanted it, i gave it to them. I didn't do it because that is the way i wanted it. Selfishness will only lead to disaster.

But enough of that topic and flaming that we've all gotten too accustom with when it comes to touchy subjects like so. Voice your opinions friendly and constructive from now on. If you want to help and participate, then do so. Otherwise, this this thread alone.
I am inclined to take Jordahan's side on this one. If a tournament is run by a certain 'body' then you accept the rules they set up. If you don't like them then next time why not take the initiative yourself and set up a tournament with different rules. Guaranteed people will complain though, no matter what your rules, so I say just accept it and let's play.

RiPTaCk

This game/players are not ready for any of those multiple Hof/Sniper strategies.
Show one good competitive game where such a tactic has been used and teams were balanced.

Disci

Old man
This game/players are not ready for any of those multiple Hof/Sniper strategies.
Show one good competitive game where such a tactic has been used and teams were balanced.

I don't like rules which restricts which tactics can be used. If some tactic is able to kill the whole flow of the game and can not be countered, there must be something wrong with the game.

If a league/ladder/tournament starts, it should allowe teams try to win with any way possible. Otherwise there is no point to play.

Armageddon

Teapot

Rip again this is competitive, teams should not be balanced. There has to be a clear winner or every game ends in a tie.

Disci

Old man
I think everyone should stop what the *dance* they are doing right now and forget what has been done and said above this. Let the guy run his league, or what ever it's gonna be like, as he wants. Teams will join up or not and rules can be changed if they don't work.

I'd consider a ladder system just because it can be let run on its own weight and no finals or semis are needed. Also teams can drop off and join when ever they want or go completely inactive if that's the case.

Last note: Arranging competition for this community is needless because, as we can notice, we suck. It's just not worth of it.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Did some pruning, remember: debates can be had without personal attacks!

And as Disci said, at the end of the day, it's Enryu and friends league, if they want to run it a certain way, so be it. No need to get balls nasty if you disagree with a certain aspect or rule, just state and describe your opinion, clarify as needed and move on.

Propkid

Adding position guidelines just sucks, if a team wants to run 8 Sents then they should be allowed to do so. -[HA]- HeavyArms was a pretty well known team in T1 and ran nothing but heavies on the OGL CTF Open ladder, and did well. Not to mention the slew of pure sniper clans that tribes has had, i just don't like how you are pigeon holing everyone into playing a set type of tactics.
+1 This.

Just because the current meta doesn't cover an all-heavy or all-sniper team it doesn't mean that the tournament has to conform. This could be a significant event in terms of people's approach to L:O if a team decided to go with a currently out-of-meta strategy (read: alternate strategy to the way PUGs are played nowadays). The rules should be more flexible and should allow all team set-ups.

I'd also say that the point system isn't so great but then I don't think quality competition is so... important in here. It don't matter, if you care about who wins then... well, 'lol' is the best response I can think of.

RiPTaCk

Balanced Teams: Scores --> 9-8 7-4 10-8 5-5 etc.
Unbalanced Teams: Scores --> 10-0 1-10 10-2 10-3 etc.

There is no point in making a league of lets say 4-5 teams (quite an optimistic number) if you see from the beginning which team will be first place and which one will be at the last place.

Disci

Old man
Balanced Teams: Scores --> 9-8 7-4 10-8 5-5 etc.
Unbalanced Teams: Scores --> 10-0 1-10 10-2 10-3 etc.

There is no point in making a league of lets say 4-5 teams (quite an optimistic number) if you see from the beginning which team will be first place and which one will be at the last place.

It's really the point. Less skilled teams gets better. This is why I'm supporting ladder rules, since teams get to play vs each other many times and get to know each other better. I used to play the same damn ladder years with one single team and eventually we grew from a scrub team to #1 ladder team which had to protect its position vs many different clans. Teams had their own home maps which they were strongest at and winning some team on their own map was just so incredible.

Anyways, bottomline is that you don't find 4-5 teams which are equally good teams and the outcome can't be seen before hand. It's just unpossible. Teams play against each other to get better at the game and hopely they stick together as far as my team during our ladder carrier. Go play draft tournaments if you want to have surprise elements in your competitive Legions games. Leagues and ladders are not for people like that.

RiPTaCk

I'm sorry but you won't find many teams which are reliable.
Also the playerbase hasn't matured as you would expect, it actually got more and more imature. Your description of improving in this game isn't the current one. Nowadays people play for themselves. Even though we now have clantags which should improve the team spirit but no. Its just a Z-Axis Ego-Shooter.
Lots of new teams are created but noone of them is to be taken seriously and most of the old teams already disappeared. Little groups are formed of old IA player or new talents that play together but nothing on a competitive level. Pugs don't happen that much anymore.
You know better than everyone else that it is quite improbable that such a ladder will be created or even last long enough that it could be called ladder.
Especially regarding the fact that BF3,MW3, T:A and other games will be ripping this community apart. In addition, the development of this game is too slow to keep people interested for a long time.

All in all this game seems to be doomed!.

Disci

Old man
I agree. I don't see any serious Legions competition created... Ever. It was just me fantasising if the case would be different.

Application-1

test bester
I agree. I don't see any serious Legions competition created... Ever. It was just me fantasising if the case would be different.
*flashback* Legionsdatabase was serious, even got a site up running. But then there was no interest because of the lack of people (and I asked for help but received none). Community has not grown at all and now it suddenly should work? No don't really think much of it.

Lol after looking it up it is still live: http://www.legionsdatabase.com/
The hosting company still has not taken it down.

57thEnryu

@disci, the reason I dont like a ladder leauge is because then the team that are always active (aka they have a match 3 times a week) will get more points that those who actually have jobs and can only have 1 per week. The origional reason for the system I am running is so everyone has an equal amount of games therefore an equal chance to get points.

As for the position restrictions, its not to restrict loadouts (aside from the sniper, and I'm considering removing that restriction for that reason) but positions. Like I said earlier, you can have a team full of heavys, but only 1 HoF.

With that said, if you are interested in joining the leauge, please sign up and we can discuss rules contructively. I know there are some teams out there who don't want to sign up if there arnt enough teams, which is the reaon I am asking this (also so ppl get an idea of how many would be in the leauge). http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/qcftjsxhff

Disci

Old man
You don't get points in ladder. You gain the position of the team you have challenged in the ladder. If you win that is.