Legions International Competitive League - Launch

57thEnryu

When we can host servers I will get 1 for public and 1 for private stuff. My private server will always be open for competition stuff. Just throwing out here so you know I can always help for EU servers. It will be dedicated aswell.
I'm not really planning on having any matches until private servers are released.
I refuse to play if map list doesn't include Stygian.
if enough ppl ask for it I will include it.
Might need a reward system or others won't bother.
I was thinking actual trophies (tho any reward would be funded by donations)
I told you what i thought through pm..
I know, the point of this thread is a combo of announce and discuss what the community wants in a tournament.

Same here, Im not bothering with Legions until player hosting happens!

but THEN bring on the comps, I will smash u ALL.....( well most of u :) )

dont blame me, Im just legionly frustrated!

excuse me while I go spank the rocket!

Armageddon

Teapot
Legions competition = *chocolate cookies* or get off the pot.

This was directed at the community in general not you Enryu, Sorry if it seemed that way.

The community bitches "There is no competition in legions" then when given an outlet for competition they show no interest and are content with PUGs and Scrims.
The normal excuses are "We need player hosted servers first" to that people will more then likely still not have a perfect ping all the time unless they host themselves, the search for the perfect ping is retarded and unobtainable - Deal with it.
"The game is still in beta why have comp now" This one still makes me chuckle, this game will be forever in beta.

57thEnryu

Gameplay:
  • Each team will consist of a 10 man roster, with matches being 8 vs. 8
  • Round Robin system (all team get to play equal amount of games with points given in the game. team with most points at end of season wins)
    • If there is a tie at end of season it will be decided by a 1 match playoff
  • There will be 2 matches per game with 2 different maps
  • Teams will be predetermined via clan affiliation
  • Home/away servers will be predetermined based on bracket layout (team listed first are away, team listed second are home)
  • Teams will pick sides depending on a coin toss (winner of toss will chose which side they want to play, alpha or beta)
  • Map will be predetermined for each round of the tournament
  • There is no rescheduling so we can get this tournament moving and not have us wait for a team to get people
  • Each team must submit 2 screen-shots of the final score, one for each match
    • If your team does not submit a screen shot within 24-hours of the match, you automaticaly forefit that match.
  • Substitutions will be allowed but only if 5 of your original players are on
    • Subs will be chosen on agreement between the captains of each team.
  • The tournament is planned to be held during a weekend during early afternoon hours (est) and evening hours (euros). We will try to get this tournament done in one weekend – that is saturday and sunday)
Rules:
  • Sniper Limit set to 1
  • No blatant rabbiting to prolong game or prevent score
  • No turtling
  • HoF Limit set to 1
  • Breaking the rules will result in a lose on that map.
Maps:
  • Frostbyte
  • Zenith
  • Fallout
  • Core
  • Elegiac
  • Gorge
  • Stygian
Scoring:
  • Match Win = 1pt
  • Match Tie = 0.5pt
  • Game Win = 2pt
  • Game Tie = 1pt
I have updated the rules, here what they are right now (based on rules for the summer extravaganza with some tweaks)

57thEnryu

They're stupid. Any decent player can see that.

And the points system doesn't make sense.

ok, allow me to explain.

During a game there will be 2 matches with 2 seperate, pre-determined maps. If you win a match, your team gets 1 point. If you tie a match, you only get half a point. The winner of the game/set is the team with the most overall caps. If your team has the most overall caps, then you get 2 points. If caps are tied, then you get only 1 point.

So for example, lets say we have team 1 and team 2. In match 1, team 1 wins 10-9 and they get 1 point for that. In match 2 team 2 wins 7-9, and they get 1 point. overall, the total caps are team 1 = 17, team 2 = 18, therefore team 2 wins the set and get 2 points. so at the end, team 1 has 1 point, and team 2 has 3 points. the team with the most points at the end of the season wins.

As for the stupid part, I'm trying to be detailed incase a situation comes up we can solve it. Most rules are stupid at first but when you need them they are perfectly fine.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
I do like the aspect of the points system, only because it discourages ragequitting/throwing a game when you're losing. Eking out those extra points (wow, I've never written 'eking' before) can be the difference between a win or a loss.

Application-1

test bester
Or, a ladder system, any map you want, 2 games if you win both then you won otherwise best out of 3, positions should be w/e you like.

Ladder > anything else.
Freedom in what map / strategy you want > good for nothing rules.

Apcizzle

I'm sorry. Didn't the tournament go over well and every team play? Didn't 98% of the players in the tournament have a good time and actually want another one right after - win or lose? Even the teams that lost played against each other simply because it was a good time and we had so many users on at once that legions never see's.

My rules weren't just me but a committee of - as fireblasto put it - "Any decent player". In fact, i've received all positive feedback except from fireblasto since he's all hurt about the 1 hof rule. Sorry bud, you lose that one. Completely changing the rules will completely go against user feedback. I did it for you (plural)... not me.

So for all you nay sayers and disbelievers, the tournament and its rules were a complete success. And carrying them on is a smart move rather than trying a different approach.

Application-1

test bester
Of course the tournament was a lot of fun, I had a blast and even after our team lost we kept playing for some time together. But I would like to say that these rules are good for a fun and quick tournament. If you really want to go competitive with a whole season of competing against eachother then I would rather have a different system (like a ladder). That's all.

Armageddon

Teapot
I love it except these,

• Sniper Limit set to 1
  • No blatant rabbiting to prolong game or prevent score
  • No turtling
  • HoF Limit set to 1
  • Breaking the rules will result in a lose on that map
Adding position guidelines just sucks, if a team wants to run 8 Sents then they should be allowed to do so. -[HA]- HeavyArms was a pretty well known team in T1 and ran nothing but heavies on the OGL CTF Open ladder, and did well. Not to mention the slew of pure sniper clans that tribes has had, i just don't like how you are pigeon holing everyone into playing a set type of tactics.