Clearing The Only Limitation To Character Movement Physics.

Mahidhar

but doesn't that make it seem really wrong to you? "I know the laws of physics say I should fall, but I'm magic and can float on my chest :D " is what I see happening. It won't make sense to look at. When in overdrive or using your jets, it makes sense. You are actively using some sort of energy requiring tech to keep yourself afloat. It's obvious. In this case, you are just floating there...

The laws of physics also say, that when you body block a certain player, you should sustain some damage, and be knocked back in the process. Well, I don't see that happening in the game, and see you have any trouble with that. It's just one of the limitations of the engine, and unless major changes are done to the engine(or even scraping the current engine and shifting to a better one), nothing can be done about it.

so then how do you apply sideways momentum? Does the process of banking sideways also apply a sideways push force, as pressing a/d normally do?

The sideways movement of the Character, will mostly be the same. Therefore, when you press A/D(while skiing and holding down the Sky-Axis), you'll be moving diagonally(as a result of trying to move forward and side ways), while looking forward. But, this is when you are keeping your mouse steady, to move straight. When you move your mouse sideways, you'll be making a sideways curve, and change direction. Combine this with A/D, and the curve will be smaller as a result, and you'll be shifting direction, more effectively. This helps when you want to shift the direction you're pointing at, while moving, and not lose too much speed.

You'll have to excuse me, if I'm not being clear. This is something in my brain, which I'm having a hard time, to drop into words. Every time, I type all this, I just tell myself; I wish I could just show it to him.

to solve the keys issue, and although this might defeat the purpose, but you could always be fixed looking forward, but ur body tilts where you move your mouse. You could still move in all directions while shooting, but it would be harder to control movement direction. so if you move your mouse forward, you face upwards. then to continue on your previous forward path, you would have to do a Shift-Right click, which to your character would normally be down, but in this sense, forward with reference to the way it is now. the only problem would be people that play on low mouse sensitivities, they would run out of space to move their mouse. This differs currently because ur character just aims and looks in the vertical directions, but rotating in the horizontal directions. this would make him rotate in both directions, removing the final constraint.

In Sky-Axis, your body is fixed looking upward(just like it is, in Overdrive). This would allow for both aiming, and movement(although a different one from the actual, stand and ski).

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
But at least that makes sense with the idea of a midget trying to push over a sumo. I know that everything is scaled up, but to the observer it makes sense. Big guy gets hit by little guy, big guy doesn't notice.

Mahidhar

What about; Outrider blocks Sentinel, Outrider doesn't feel anything. Anyway, I understand what you say Volt, but you also need to understand that this is a game with limits, and whatever is being developed for this game, are bound by these limits.

I myself, do not believe we're arguing here, but just looking at two sides of the same coin. ;)

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I don't know... I'm just more comfortable with the collision thing than a guy floating for no reason other than the engine says so...

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I know... But that doesn't bug me because it involves blink-of-an-eye calculations rather than things that can be seen over the course of multiple seconds...

Lin

You'll have to excuse me, if I'm not being clear. This is something in my brain, which I'm having a hard time, to drop into words. Every time, I type all this, I just tell myself; I wish I could just show it to him.
Ill try to be a little more clear myself.
When I say sideways motion, there are three things that can mean:

1: Cursor remains in the same position, player stays upright, player moves to the side. This is what happens currently when you press the A/D buttons while standing/skiing.

2: Cursor moves to the side, player stays upright, player turns around the vertical axis, remaining in the same position. This is what currently happens when you move the mouse to the side while standing/skiing.

3: Cursor remains in the same position, player rotates around the saggital horizontal axis, player stays in the same position. Leaves the player with his feet on the same level as his head, effectively lying on his side midair. What I assume would happen in Skyaxis.

There are 3 methods of movement here. We currently have 2 means of input for sideways motion, the A/D keys, and the mouse. How can we perform all three of these actions at the same time?

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Judging by the sentenced that followed, you obviously don't.

I was referring to hitboxes and being fired at when I mentioned the calculations. Obviously collision with things such as the ground are going to last a while.

Ill try to be a little more clear myself.
When I say sideways motion, there are three things that can mean:

1: Cursor remains in the same position, player stays upright, player moves to the side. This is what happens currently when you press the A/D buttons while standing/skiing.

2: Cursor moves to the side, player stays upright, player turns around the vertical axis, remaining in the same position. This is what currently happens when you move the mouse to the side while standing/skiing.

3: Cursor remains in the same position, player rotates around the saggital horizontal axis, player stays in the same position. Leaves the player with his feet on the same level as his head, effectively lying on his side midair. What I assume would happen in Skyaxis.

There are 3 methods of movement here. We currently have 2 means of input for sideways motion, the A/D keys, and the mouse. How can we perform all three of these actions at the same time?

It is assumed that the player will continue to use the mouse to orient themselves in the traditional manner, only instead of the weapon following the movement of the mouse, the entire player would follow. Basically, when moving the character within the sky axis the following controls the various types of movement:

Mouse Up/Down: Pitch
Mouse Left/Right: Yaw
A/D Keys: Roll

Mahidhar is free to correct me, but to my understanding that is the idea.

Lin

I was referring to hitboxes and being fired at when I mentioned the calculations. Obviously collision with things such as the ground are going to last a while.

It is assumed that the player will continue to use the mouse to orient themselves in the traditional manner, only instead of the weapon following the movement of the mouse, the entire player would follow. Basically, when moving the character within the sky axis the following controls the various types of movement:

Mouse Up/Down: Pitch
Mouse Left/Right: Yaw
A/D Keys: Roll

Mahidhar is free to correct me, but to my understanding that is the idea.
See movement method 1. Not covered in your interpretation

Lin

So when we enter skyaxis, we aren't allowed standard movement?
So we can't cover all 3 at the same time?

Mahidhar

Sky-Axis does not replace the standard movement. Just covers the areas where the standard movement is limited at. It's just like Overdrive, but unlike Overdrive, you can do hard turns, loops etc, while in Sky-Axis. If you do not use Jet-up(which replaces forward key W), while in Sky-Axis, and just hold Right Mouse, you'll be turning in your own axis, without any change in the direction you are moving.