Charging Before Sniping

XAleXOwnZX

The LR is meant as a sniper weapon, but that doesn't mean it was limited to just being a long range camp machine.
It wasn't easy, the LR was well balanced for a wide skill range in FE:L:
  • Noobs could waste their games sniping at afk enemies at spawns, which although gratifying, didn't actually help their team.
  • Moderately skilled players could use it for effective base defence and killing cappers
  • Well skilled players could use it for chasing, mid fall sniping, ATA sniping. Good players could use the LR as a close range weapon, sacrificing rate of fire, splash damage, and ease of use for higher damage output when compared to rockets.
So yes, "I think it's clear the new new LR discourages fast, close up or chasing type engagements" when compared to the versatility (and difficulty) of the old mechanic.

XAleXOwnZX

Old Laser Rifle (in the InstantAction days):

• 1 shots an Outrider
  • 60% damage to a Raider
  • around half damage to Sentinels
  • Unlimited Ammo
  • Lengthy "charge" time
  • Beam shows while you're aiming, make it easily dodgable
  • Can't ski while charging, but still allows for mid air shooting
  • It was possible to chase by flying as high as possible and shooting as you fall
  • HARD to use (viably)
Current Laser Rifle:

• Doesn't even do half damage to an Outrider 53% damage. Decreases with range, and still not rewarding enough giving the lower rate of fire, and speed/manoeuvrability advantage of outriders
  • Doesn't do much damage to a Raider pretty balanced damage on raiders imo and no one even plays raider anymore, atleast in NA. subjective; though i think it should do enough damage that it encourages a successful snipe to be followed up by an alternate weapon as a finisher, and not require countless other snipes.
  • Damage was negligible on a Sentinel (An idle Sentinel heals faster than constant sniper shots can damage.) you will never find a sniper targeting heavies That's a fundamental flaw then. Sents are great in close combat, so snipers should be able to pick them off from a distance.
  • Damage decreases with distance (what? it's a sniper ffs!) 95% of the community can't even make those shots that are within the damage fall-off zone. How do I know about the existence of this damage reduction then? If "95%" of the community can't even make those shots, why have the decrease? May as well make it rewarding.
  • 15 round clip, but instant shots (no "charge")
  • Drains energy upon firing, discouraging chasing and close combat. you are completely wrong, the sniper is completely broken in close combat and most of the people that play with it chase IDK what you're trying to say tbh, but I was comparing it to the versatility of the old LR in the hands of differently skilled players (see my last post ^)
  • Limited to the raider class, making it fragile, but immobile due to the energy drain. energy drain is hardly a big deal considering it only takes 2-3 seconds to fully recharge your it and you're meant to be squishy and easy to kill as a sniper so the raider limitation is completely fine. Squishy makes sense, and so does a slight damage nerf, but not both at once. And the energy drain is enough to make the sniper useless in ATA fights.
  • Easy to use but basically a pointless class now it's the strongest class atm in the sense of damage,versatility and viability. Low damage, low health, nerved range, limited manoeuvrability while sniping, harder to use (in general)
I think it's clear the new new LR discourages fast, close up or chasing type engagements, making the sniper a non-viable class with low HP, damage, and manoeuvrability.

ContingencyPl4n

Elite Pro Mapmaker
Its a 1.88 second charge time with the old 'aimbeam' back. You can jet during the charge up and damage has been taken down about 14%.

The aimbeam in the few games we played with it was proving to signal cappers to juke again and felt nice. The charge up only seemed to really affect duel sniping. Long range base snipes were still getting their shots off. I don't think anyone got used to skiing and sniping with the charge up yet but phanakapan proved back when this mechanic was live that it is very viable and he couldn't even jet during the charge.
Phans OD sniping, damn the good ol' days...

Maxter

Have you guys tried reinstating the old sniper and trying it out now? Things have changed, and it might not be as overpowered now as it was back then.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Have you guys tried reinstating the old sniper and trying it out now? Things have changed, and it might not be as overpowered now as it was back then.
Its a 1.88 second charge time with the old 'aimbeam' back. You can jet during the charge up and damage has been taken down about 14%.

The aimbeam in the few games we played with it was proving to signal cappers to juke again and felt nice. The charge up only seemed to really affect duel sniping. Long range base snipes were still getting their shots off. I don't think anyone got used to skiing and sniping with the charge up yet but phanakapan proved back when this mechanic was live that it is very viable and he couldn't even jet during the charge.

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
A potential one hit kill to raiders not being OP? Like Pop said, it's a modified version.

Maxter

Well that's great, I used to love being challenged by the beam snipes while capping back then. Looking forward to this modified one.

Fixious

Test Lead
Defender's Tribes mod server has the charge-up sniper on it. Pretty sure the damage values are different though.

Skutki

Is it still going to have a decreased damage over distance? because i think it should be the reverse of that and the damage difference should be only slight. i understand the need of balancing the game out but greater skill should be rewarded, not punished. this is what true gaming is all about.

I loved the old sniper. I had fun at all ranges and felt more engaged in the game, more than anything chase sniping. Then once you killed a capper a couple of times.... that beam would mess with their minds. You didn't even have to shoot, just swing it around in front of them and watch them miss the flag while freaking out.

Damn... how long ago was IA?? Dr. Wiley... haven't heard from that guy in forever. I am getting old at 22.....