Charging Before Sniping

Mahidhar

A joke my friend. A simple joke. As evidenced by the :p.

Why are people so uptight on the internet? Sheesh.

My bad then. People are uptight, because it's difficult to distinguish between sarcasm and joke in text. I rarely acknowledge smileys myself. :p

phanakapan

Private Tester
This topic has been beaten to death, but here is my opinion yet again:

Original sniper:
  • Mechanic: Charge to snipe was great for a number of reasons and simply more fun than the current mechanic. First, you couldn't ski or fly while charging, which meant chasing with it required both increased jet management and increased terrain awareness, since you were more or less forced to fire at the peak of your arcs or lose all speed while chasing. This meant it took a lot more skill to get good at using the weapon and getting chasing snipes was more rewarding as a result. Second, it allowed for you to use OD and charge the sniper at the same time, creating a really interesting combination move you could use in a variety of niche situations not currently possible. Third, the charge to snipe mechanic was entirely different than all of the other weapons which added variety to the game. The visible beam also allowed cappers to actively avoid incoming snipes if they were aware of the beam, though as a capper I still actively strafe and dodge at random to avoid snipes when they are most likely to come (peaks of arcs, etc).
  • Damage: The top end damage of the weapon was definitely too high, but the main issue with the old sniper damage was the fact that the beam lingered, creating a damage over time effect if you were to line up well on someones route. You could often lay the beam across the flag and one shot kill incoming cappers because of how long they would be in the beam and how much damage it would do. The only neat aspect of the lingering beam was the fact that you could kill multiple people with a single shot, which was kind of a neat event even if overpowered and unnecessary.
Current Sniper:
  • Mechanic: The point and click mechanic is just like every other weapon and every other sniper rifle in every other game. It's damage is based off of how much jet you have when you fire, but with the speed at which jets replenish in legions and the fact that you can still ski at speed with full jets and fire the weapon, chasing with it is much easier than the old version. I find the current sniper to simply be boring and too easy to use; and with little exception, I am rarely impressed by the shots I make or see others make with the current version.
  • Damage: I think the damage on the current version is pretty much perfect. It takes two full power shots to down an outrider, which is as it should be. The fact that the DOT beam was changed to a hitscan beam is also the way it should be.
If the current damage was combined with the old mechanic, it would be a really fun weapon to use and be more balanced than both versions are on their own, but of course there would be a lot of people bitching because they can no longer abuse the easymode current iteration.

Homingun

phans tl;dr version:

The issue with the old sniper was not the charge-up mechanic but the high DOT beam. Adding the charge-up mechanic to the new sniper would make it more unique and skillful to use.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
phans tl;dr version:

The issue with the old sniper was not the charge-up mechanic but the high DOT beam. Adding the charge-up mechanic to the new sniper would make it more unique and skillful to use.

this and phan's post got it spot on.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
This topic has been beaten to death, but here is my opinion yet again:

• The only neat aspect of the lingering beam was the fact that you could kill multiple people with a single shot, which was kind of a neat event even if overpowered and unnecessary.

I've gotten the occasional double hit with the current LR. Unfortunately, one of them is always a teammate. Anyways, I haven't played with the charge-up mechanic, but to me it seems that a charge-up doesn't fit the pace of the game quite so well, especially for tagging incoming cappers, though I suppose with a lingering beam that would be relatively effective.

phanakapan

Private Tester
no lingering beam...that was the problem. the charge up would be a relatively short amount of time, and it fits the pace of the game fine...its an instant hit scan weapon. prepping for a shot would simply require you to keep the weapon charged, or pay attention and charge as people come in and leave the base. all it would affect is twitch shots and being able to respawn and instantly snipe someone. otherwise, it just forces people to pay attention to the terrain and their jets which is all around a good thing in my opinion.

RiPTaCk

Nononono we don't want snipers to move, we want them to place themselves somewhere safe and snipe around. Why would we want them to be mobile, it's not like mobility is important in this game. Lets use energy instead of ammo so we can be sure that they won't move at all when they shoot stuff. Oh but if people decide to attack a sniper..hmmm...lets just put the whole snipey thing in the outrider so we can escape quickly without being killed. And if we have to encounter anyone we can fly very long and manoeuver around incoming projectiles so that we kill him before we even touch the ground again. That should be enough to nerf the sniper. Mission accomplished!

XAleXOwnZX

Old Laser Rifle (in the InstantAction days):

• 1 shots an Outrider
  • 60% damage to a Raider
  • around half damage to Sentinels
  • Unlimited Ammo
  • Lengthy "charge" time
  • Beam shows while you're aiming, make it easily dodgable
  • Can't ski while charging, but still allows for mid air shooting
  • It was possible to chase by flying as high as possible and shooting as you fall
  • HARD to use (viably)
Current Laser Rifle:
  • Doesn't even do half damage to an Outrider
  • Doesn't do much damage to a Raider
  • Damage was negligible on a Sentinel (An idle Sentinel heals faster than constant sniper shots can damage.)
  • Damage decreases with distance (what? it's a sniper ffs!)
  • 15 round clip, but instant shots (no "charge")
  • Drains energy upon firing, discouraging chasing and close combat.
  • Limited to the raider class, making it fragile, but immobile due to the energy drain.
  • Easy to use but basically a pointless class now
I think it's clear the new new LR discourages fast, close up or chasing type engagements, making the sniper a non-viable class with low HP, damage, and manoeuvrability.

ContingencyPl4n

Elite Pro Mapmaker
Im guessing you havent played against good people, as the sniper as it is now, is very OP in terms of usage and how its handled.

Chasing is easy with it, and it can easily help win duels, as well as end someones life at any range with ease (those 90 degrees man). Dont forget that people damage themselves/get damaged when doing things, either capping/ defending/ or offense. The sniper is can easily be used to turn the tide. (then theres the times when multiple people have it, dear god).

Its all good to think how you do. Most people that are new, or never really played to 'get better' understand just how crazy things can get...

also, one hell of a necro...

Skutki

Current Laser Rifle:

• Doesn't even do half damage to an Outrider
  • Doesn't do much damage to a Raider
  • Damage was negligible on a Sentinel (An idle Sentinel heals faster than constant sniper shots can damage.)
  • Damage decreases with distance (what? it's a sniper ffs!)
  • Drains energy upon firing, discouraging chasing and close combat.
  • Limited to the raider class, making it fragile, but immobile due to the energy drain.
  • Easy to use but basically a pointless class now
I think it's clear the new new LR discourages fast, close up or chasing type engagements, making the sniper a non-viable class with low HP, damage, and manoeuvrability.

what is it with all the New Members being so dumdum nowadays and also having such SiCk NiCkNameZ, its as if these are smurf accounts of rejected community members or simply some banned kids ;d

anyway nice necro, lets see if i can highlight how dumb your post is by making it argue with itself, literally, with as little input from me personally as possible.

Current Laser Rifle:
Drains energy upon firing, discouraging chasing and close combat.
(what? it's a sniper ffs!)

Limited to the raider class
i'll assume this is just a silly mistake

I think it's clear the new new LR discourages fast, close up or chasing type engagements
it's a sniper ffs!

sniper

Web definitions
a marksman who shoots at people from a concealed place.
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

A sniper is a highly trained marksman who operates [...] from physical distances exceeding the detection capabilities of the enemy personnel [ie. from far away]

now because i cant stop myself: the sniper is wrong/op, not "non-viable". although it isnt, i can imagine it being severely abused the way it is now. It's not a problem, but what im saying is that you're completely and utterly wrong and should take your laptop/pc, put it under your bed or even better on your house's rooftop to let it rot, buy an Xbox or a PS3, play those junky console games and come back online in a few years once you've defeated your puberty and high school.

EDIT: i should give you one thing though, props for not creating a new thread and using the search function.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
The LR on live servers does in fact do >50% health in damage to an OR. OR's have 75 health; LR does at max 40 damage.

The falloff of the LR starts at 400 meters and continues until its maximum range at 1400 at which point it is still dealing 20 damage. Even chaingun/bolt shots traveling at 1km/s would still take 1.4 seconds to hit and at that range, there's no reasonable way you're going to predict those shots. Compare that with a hitscan insta-fire weapon. If you know what you're doing, cappers die.

You charge faster while on the ground, so unloading rapidly isn't exactly difficult if you know what you're doing.

Sent has 200 health, LR does 40 damage. 5 shots to kill and there is a lag between when you take damage and when you regen. This lag is greater than the time between LR shots. You have 15 ammo. Each shot does 40. Provided you actually hit him from <400m, he'll die as quickly as you can unload 5 charged shots. Heck, you could theoretically kill a Sent literally one bullet fired every two seconds from the chain. It would take a while, but they would inevitably die.

Mukhtar

Old Laser Rifle (in the InstantAction days):

• 1 shots an Outrider
  • 60% damage to a Raider
  • around half damage to Sentinels
  • Unlimited Ammo
  • Lengthy "charge" time
  • Beam shows while you're aiming, make it easily dodgable
  • Can't ski while charging, but still allows for mid air shooting
  • It was possible to chase by flying as high as possible and shooting as you fall
  • HARD to use (viably)
Current Laser Rifle:

• Doesn't even do half damage to an Outrider 53% damage.
  • Doesn't do much damage to a Raider pretty balanced damage on raiders imo and no one even plays raider anymore, atleast in NA.
  • Damage was negligible on a Sentinel (An idle Sentinel heals faster than constant sniper shots can damage.) you will never find a sniper targeting heavies
  • Damage decreases with distance (what? it's a sniper ffs!) 95% of the community can't even make those shots that are within the damage fall-off zone.
  • Drains energy upon firing, discouraging chasing and close combat. you are completely wrong, the sniper is completely broken in close combat and most of the people that play with it chase
  • Limited to the raider class, making it fragile, but immobile due to the energy drain. energy drain is hardly a big deal considering it only takes 2-3 seconds to fully recharge your it and you're meant to be squishy and easy to kill as a sniper so the raider limitation is completely fine.
  • Easy to use but basically a pointless class now it's the strongest class atm in the sense of damage,versatility and viability.

The LR can have a pretty high skill ceiling if someone is good enough with it. Considering it's hitscan, you will find people who can only hit front routes to those whom find it difficult to miss.

Poponfu

Lead Developer
Its a 1.88 second charge time with the old 'aimbeam' back. You can jet during the charge up and damage has been taken down about 14%.

The aimbeam in the few games we played with it was proving to signal cappers to juke again and felt nice. The charge up only seemed to really affect duel sniping. Long range base snipes were still getting their shots off. I don't think anyone got used to skiing and sniping with the charge up yet but phanakapan proved back when this mechanic was live that it is very viable and he couldn't even jet during the charge.