The Great Mortar Debate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karnage

Private Tester
What I always found funny was how the "heavy" class was centered around an instant mobility ability (IOD).
There are a lot of weird physics in the game...

Nerf the mortar and these threads will disappear. Either take away its damage or its distance. Most people on my team seem to agree that nerfing the distance it can travel would be the best solution.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Nerf the mortar and these threads will disappear. Either take away its damage or its distance. Most people on my team seem to agree that nerfing the distance it can travel would be the best solution.

How is nerfing the mortar going to make threads about Sents having regular stream OD disappear?

jago

How is nerfing the mortar going to make threads about Sents having regular stream OD disappear?
its only the experienced players who want the mortar nerfed because now its a lot harder for them to do their cap routes that they have probably practiced a 1000 times or some new player has come along pawned them with a mortar i think you guys need to learn to improvise and stop bitching learn to deal with the mortar they are really easy to dodge if you have your eyes open

Propkid

its only the experienced players who want the mortar nerfed because now its a lot harder for them to do their cap routes that they have probably practiced a 1000 times or some new player has come along pawned them with a mortar i think you guys need to learn to improvise and stop bitching learn to deal with the mortar they are really easy to dodge if you have your eyes open
Mortars are SPAMMED all the friggin time by any rookie that gets a hold of the gun. Now that's bad for the gameplay, both in the matter of cappers (show me how to dodge mortar spam) and in the matter of defenders (eg. HoF) standing on the flag stand being killed by mortar spammers. I don't see many HoFs developing in pubs if mortar stays the way it is.

Oh, and let me fix your post
its only the inexperienced players who don't want the mortar nerfed because now its a lot easier for them to get easy kills that they have probably didnt have to practice a 1000 hours to learn or some old player has come along and they pawned him without any effort or skill involved. i think you guys need to learn to kill with skill and stop bitching learn to deal with the mortar being spammy they are really easy to get a kill with even if you have your eyes closed
I wanted to fix the grammar and all but let's leave it more legitimate

MightyDeath

Don't know about american servers, but in euro servers from those 16 ppl on the server, atleast 6-7 spam mortars on the flagstand.
Also just shooting random mortars everywhere is just causing teamkills.

jago

the same thing was said about clusters now its mortar ffs

new players need help why don't some of you try and do that instead of moaning all the time

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Alright, moved the 'mortar spam' discussion from the 'Regular OD on a Sent' thread into its own thread. Discuss away!

As for Seymour's stance on mortar, I like it the way it is. While in Legions current iteration it seems like a overly spammy weapon, I like to think once turrets and other base assets are introduced, there will be less focus on spamming the flag stand and more focus spamming the various destructible base assets. This should alleviate the frustration of too much mortar spam from HOs against HoFs.

One thing that I feel is near perfect is the range, earlier versions of the mortar had barely any range, making hitting fast cappers incredibly difficult, so that's one attribute that I would not want to see nerfed.

MightyDeath

I don't have anything against it.
The only thing I don't like is that I get like 10 times teamkilled in a single game by a guy that just spams it.

Karnage

Private Tester
I am convinced that all the complaints about heavies started MOSTLY after the introduction of the mortar. Before that hardly anyone ever talked about the heavy. It starts with complaining about mortars but then other people say that no the mortar is fine so the people who complained then start thinking about other ways to make the heavy less of a nuisance. For example - Get rid of his iOD and he is way easier to kill and less likely to be making a nuisance of himself with those mortars in the enemy base. I am convinced that if you take away the mortar problem the other problems will seem far less pressing.

On the other hand, take away the iOD and the heavy is just a big lump waiting to get shot. He will be completely useless. No more holding the flag for the heavy unless it's just as a temporary punching bag while others respawn. No more blocking incoming cappers. The heavy will be practically useless.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I am convinced that all the complaints about heavies started MOSTLY after the introduction of the mortar. Before that hardly anyone ever talked about the heavy. It starts with complaining about mortars but then other people say that no the mortar is fine so the people who complained then start thinking about other ways to make the heavy less of a nuisance. For example - Get rid of his iOD and he is way easier to kill and less likely to be making a nuisance of himself with those mortars in the enemy base. I am convinced that if you take away the mortar problem the other problems will seem far less pressing.

On the other hand, take away the iOD and the heavy is just a big lump waiting to get shot. He will be completely useless. No more holding the flag for the heavy unless it's just as a temporary punching bag while others respawn. No more blocking incoming cappers. The heavy will be practically useless.

I dunno, it seems like that thread was more about adding regular style OD to the Sent as an option, not necessarily replacing it (thus nerfing Sent's iOD). I still like to think that base assets will go a long way in reducing a lot of the current mortar issues.

Totally agree with you on the iOD, tho, a Sent w/o iOD would be kinda useless. Sure, some would argue that Heavies worked fine in Tribes, but I believe due to Legions quicker pace, the Sent needs that boost to be viable.

Disci

Old man
Add a tad bit longer arming time. It will instantly make the weapon harder to use. Now it's like instant boom, aka very easy to time to blow up capper on top of it.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
Just because you hooligans are used to spamming the R button when there's a stand off, doesn't mean that's the right way to use the sentinel. The mortar doesn't need any tweaking, you guys just need to learn to use it appropriately. What really needs to be adjusted (if not removed) is iOD because heavy capping (as well as flying to the sky during standoffs as i mentioned in the first sentence) is ridiculous atm.

poiuyt580

Just because you goddamn cunts are used to spamming the R button when there's a stand off, doesn't mean that's the right way to use the sentinel. The mortar doesn't need any tweaking, you fucks just need to learn to use it appropriately. What really needs to be adjusted (if not removed) is iOD because heavy capping (as well as flying to the sky during standoffs as i mentioned in the first sentence) is *dancing* ridiculous atm.
When you fly to the sky, it's easy chain. Nothing to complain about.

Propkid

What really needs to be adjusted (if not removed) is iOD because heavy capping (as well as flying to the sky during standoffs as i mentioned in the first sentence) is *dancing* ridiculous atm.
iOD is good the way it is and always was. Heavy capping is way easier to chase and to predict with an aware defence. iOD-flying up to the sky during a stand-off is just a tactic which every experienced player has already learned to deal with.

IMO mortar is fine in terms of weapon balance; it's still OK to cap when the enemy is using it, but it is insanely annoying when your teammates are constantly spamming it wherever they think it's needed. IMO what would need to be temporarily implemented is some sort of punishment for wounding allies with mortar, for example extended respawn time.

DKnight556

The only problem with the mortar is the that newbs will sit away from the stand and when a sent tries to body block and do the job hes supposed to the newb will just fire mortars onto the stand, only to kill the sent and letting the capper get the flag

Xtreme

shaska's bff
The only problem with the mortar is the that newbs will sit away from the stand and when a sent tries to body block and do the job hes supposed to the newb will just fire mortars onto the stand, only to kill the sent and letting the capper get the flag

What the toothpicks is wrong with you people? If you see people spamming the stand, just stay away from it and sit further out if you want to body block. I don't get you fellers sometimes..

Karnage

Private Tester
XtremeSpeed, it would be nice if you could stop being so condescending and also if you could tone down the language a little. Insulting the general community is not going to win you any friends.

Royalty

The Aussie
I like the mortar as it is. It's very useful with high ping. *cough *cough mortar spam *cough *choke *cough

Status
Not open for further replies.