Unlocking Legions - Upcoming Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi

We have numerous people here with great connections. I have 30 MB/s DL and 20 MB/s UL; Ucan is also a great host. Player hosted servers actually allow for people who might be close to you (thinking of you, Aussies :D) to get a good connection, instead of everyone in that area sacrificing ping in order to play on a ded. We have plenty of dedicated servers - there's a reason that even during peak hours, 2 16-20 player servers are full (at max). If you're connection isn't good, then irrespective of whether it's a ded or a player, your ping will not be good. If however, it's a distance problem, then a) a player near you can host and b) you still have the deds open.

Do you live far away from a dedicated server?

You are right. Uh, Im not sure, Isn't there a New Jersey server? and the ping on that one is like 50 for me, but its locked, and I live in NC. So...

Royalty

The Aussie
We have numerous people here with great connections. I have 30 MB/s DL and 20 MB/s UL; Ucan is also a great host. Player hosted servers actually allow for people who might be close to you (thinking of you, Aussies :D) to get a good connection, instead of everyone in that area sacrificing ping in order to play on a ded. We have plenty of dedicated servers - there's a reason that even during peak hours, 2 16-20 player servers are full (at max). If you're connection isn't good, then irrespective of whether it's a ded or a player, your ping will not be good. If however, it's a distance problem, then a) a player near you can host and b) you still have the deds open.

Do you live far away from a dedicated server?
What's more important when hosting? Upload or Download speed? Because my download is pwnage, but my upload is fail....
Either way, according to speedtest.net I still ping 50 in Perth.... So I can just let another Aussie host!
1519037588.png

1519039357.png

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
You are right. Uh, Im not sure, Isn't there a New Jersey server? and the ping on that one is like 50 for me, but its locked, and I live in NC. So...
Yeah, I'd probably be a decent East Coast Host for you. With player hosted servers, someone who lives (relatively) near you will ensure that you have good ping.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
lol.. Looks like I missed a bit of an announcement. Not sure I'm too keen on losing accounts, but I do like the modding potential it opens up. Still though...

What's more important when hosting? Upload or Download speed? Because my download is pwnage, but my upload is fail....
Either way, according to speedtest.net I still ping 50 in Perth.... So I can just let another Aussie host!
1519037588.png

1519039357.png
your upload is excelllent for Aust. Are u in Melbourne?

So long as everyone can play at under 100 you would be a good host.

Yeah I'm in Melbourne. I think 100 mb/s is the fastest you can get in Aus...
yeh but I dont know anyone who gets that, my up load is half yours and download a quarter of yours but its also the best connection Ive ever had.

hopefully its going to mean some good low ping legions for all, for u to ping 50 to Perth is VERY good as I ping 40 to you here in Adelaide. It might mean you will be our preferred host depending on how the Brisbane/Sydney players fair with you but surely it cant be more than Perth.

Its all I want for Christmas.

Royalty

The Aussie
yeh but I dont know anyone who gets that, my up load is half yours and download a quarter of yours but its also the best connection Ive ever had.

hopefully its going to mean some good low ping legions for all, for u to ping 50 to Perth is VERY good as I ping 40 to you here in Adelaide. It might mean you will be our preferred host depending on how the Brisbane/Sydney players fair with you but surely it cant be more than Perth.

Its all I want for Christmas.
Yeah I ping like 25 to Adelaide. Hopefully the above will be the case. As long as I ping under 80 in any server I join...

trinium

Private Tester
1519037588.png

1519039357.png

Latency and solid hardware. Connection speeds dont matter much for a game like this when no tpushing patches, but a datacenter and server rocket with quality low latenty hardware is whats up. Thats whats makes the difference between decent server and not, out in the major player world. Not sure what the benmarks are for the linux binarires, but im guessing there not as heavy as a lot of games. Just remeber this, if you try and host a server from your DSL, and god dare I say it an @home cable connect, you will play fine. Your neighbors will play fine, but anyone outside of 40-50 miles is not going to ping well.

No game is really safe from AimBots.

:-() did i ever show u my proof of concept pixel tracker for the cg, it fails. works up close but ultimately fails bad. game can be hacked but there are a large amount of memory locations that would be have to be sorted and processed, and the someone w/ a solid 5 years of C++ or lower levling coding would need to work some magic. Remeber all games are hackable ! if you move your mouse the the red arrow, so can AI.

Legions 'may' become more fragmented with player hosting but it will definitely bring more players to Legions which has to be worth it, I will personally bring some new players when I know their ping is going to be below 100ms as I know some younger crew excited about Ascend but have never heard of Tribes before much less legions. Not to mention deds have to be paid for which effects their longevity, this way Legions can live for as long as there are ppl who want to play it, even if its many years later you can drag out an instal and set up a server and be playing with anyone within minutes.

SWEET

bump, ive got a few peeps playing from this lan center but most the kids are u to playing counter-strike and havein 15-30 ping, so they see 70-80 and bail within 10 mins.

I feel like Legions needs more people in order for the dedicated servers to take full effect. Having to split the community into seperate games in the Legions current state will not make it a more "playable" experience. I just feel like it's too early to have something like this in development if we are going to risk losing our names and clantag/roster. . Yes, Legions is growing slowly, and we need to start somewhere. But I hope you devs have some sort of remedy that can control the changes that will be taken into effect when dedicated servers roll out. It'll be tough loss losing the competetive teams. We will still have the TS3 server for the most part, so that will have to do.

u wont pull players w/o servers. just look at every game that has required "company" servers ... all failed.

Snooks

Read up to page 6... All I have to say is sweeeeet. Opening this game might slightly kill it at first, but after the workshops come out to play, it will rock... I know I'll be scripting/modding, and I'll run a very good server.

The Dev's can only do so much, but if each of us who can would put a little effort in on our own time, who knows what will happen. Tribes1 only survived because of how moddable it was.

Royalty

The Aussie
Latency and solid hardware. Connection speeds dont matter much for a game like this when no tpushing patches, but a datacenter and server rocket with quality low latenty hardware is whats up. Thats whats makes the difference between decent server and not, out in the major player world. Not sure what the benmarks are for the linux binarires, but im guessing there not as heavy as a lot of games. Just remeber this, if you try and host a server from your DSL, and god dare I say it an @home cable connect, you will play fine. Your neighbors will play fine, but anyone outside of 40-50 miles is not going to ping well.
My whole network is wired, fibre optic CAT 5e. Will that be ok ping for others?

trinium

Private Tester
your internal network is nice if its fiber but copper is ok, it is really dependent on the underlying ISP's infrastructure routes, repeaters, and such enterprise hardware. Since none of the major game hosting sites will support this game ill take to the devs and see if maybe there is a way i can come up w/ an @ cost hosting solution for those of you who are not linux and or vps admins

The reason Im confident that Royalty will make for a very decent host is because of the IA player hosted days, the connection I have now isnt quite as fast as the one I had back then and a few to many players had ping over 100 making it not the greatest game, with specs he shows it will definitely roll onto the players that join him. I mean christ he pings half what I do when testing to each others city. Id say most will be able to play well under 100 ms.

How the hell did you get yourself fibre to your house, or is it just inside not from the street?

I looked into it here because there is fibre not 50 meters from my house but it was going to be thousands to get it to me!

trinium

Private Tester
The reason Im confident that Royalty will make for a very decent host is because of the IA player hosted days, the connection I have now isnt quite as fast as the one I had back then and a few to many players had ping over 100 making it not the greatest game, with specs he shows it will definitely roll onto the players that join him. I mean christ he pings half what I do when testing to each others city. Id say most will be able to play well under 100 ms.

How the hell did you get yourself fibre to your house, or is it just inside not from the street?

I looked into it here because there is fibre not 50 meters from my house but it was going to be thousands to get it to me!

A real "central server" hosted in dallas texas at 1 of the 3 major datacenter should provide 50 or < ping to most of the USA

Read up to page 6... All I have to say is sweeeeet. Opening this game might slightly kill it at first, but after the workshops come out to play, it will rock... I know I'll be scripting/modding, and I'll run a very good server.

The Dev's can only do so much, but if each of us who can would put a little effort in on our own time, who knows what will happen. Tribes1 only survived because of how moddable it was.

i love you snooks, T1-4Life

Vustom

I might be wrong here, but unlocking Legions requires a permission from IAC which still owns the game. You don't get much done before that. But even if this is not true, the other changes are rather easy to make and implemented compaired to what they are planing to do next. Also, like stated before, different people make different things. Adding new weapons doesn't take away from the time spend with making Legions free for modding and ability to host servers.

Refer to;
After quite a few discussions between the dev team, we've decided to change our plans. We'll be unlocking the game, allowing full server functionality for end users, however this comes at a slight cost.

I get the impression from that statement that they had a plan, but changed the plan to what it is now; or will be, in which I believe they waited to long to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.