Tribes Ascend announced.

Redvan

Private Tester
Finally a game to look forward to, unfortunately now I have almost no urge to come back to legions. They better not *dance* it up. I'm glad they are releasing it on Xbox 360 if only for market exposure, hope we can play against them cross platform :)

probably means aim assist will be in the game then...

skypredator

6747_funny0130.jpg

Fixious

Test Lead
Some forums posts from Hi-Rez dudes:

Art style:
We're trying to pull aspects of the art from tribes 2 that worked. I didn't like how far away from T2 T:V got artisticly. So we're going to back and referencing almost exclusively T2 stuff. I'm sure we'll start posting *Tribes: Ass-End* concepts sometime probably on Facebook so they'll be finding their way around the net sooner or later.
Obviously we've had to update the style, as in todays market a guy in seemingly skin tight metal armor would look rather silly. Some things worked really well back then that just don't work these days, so we're updating, but I'm trying to bring many nostalgic things to *Tribes: Ass-End*.
Regarding the Unreal Engine:
I can't say much about gameplay. The engine is a pretty recent version of the unreal engine. However it doesn't have all of the newest features. We may sync but it all depends on if it will be worth the time spent. Some of the features listed are excellent for cinematic games. But we are a multiplayer shooter, so alot of the bells and whistles would be lost on us. For what it is the new features and the execution of "the samaritan" is amazing and I loved it. We have many great features with what we are currently on.
Oh and the video was shot 100% in engine.
The characters in ascend are all custom mesh/rigs/animations so we have our own proportions. Nothing used from any other ue3 game.
Weapons:
I'll speak on the aesthetic of the weapons. We're a little here and there like the original tribes. Some weapons look very futuristic, while others look a little older. You'll see some nostalgic qualities to the weapons we're bringing back though.
Regarding this T1 concept art and melee combat:
We referenced that image a good bit when we were coming up with the medium concepts. The guys shown in our trailers and shots these days are the light characters.
The tribes fiction was that the swords were handed down through the family. so they bring them to battle mounted to their jet-packs. I can't really say on melee combat though, we're not talking about the game-play much yet.
The trailer and color correction:
We're releasing some background images sometime soon. These are a more accurate representation of what the color looks like in the game. The trailer came out a little more orange. Looks nice on an HDTV as the colors are warmer. Youtube compression seems to have muted the colors.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I'm liking things so far, good to hear that the BE was more 'orange' than they wanted it to be. Kinda had a CotP vibe when I first saw it.

As for going with Tribes2 for aesthetics, I have no problem with that. In fact, if anything, that DS model in the trailer reminded me a lot of the T1 Royo designs (which is super cool).

I'm looking forward to the unveiling of the spinfusor, I'm hoping they return to Tribes1's 'open top' design.

At this point, my biggest concern is that it's also going to be a XBLA game. Normally I wouldn't be that concerned (consoles are everywhere and their game depths have improved), I'm just concerned that due to the restraints of XBLA (2gb size limit, lack of user created content) that these limitations would carry over to the PC version (which there really is no reason that they should).

Still, even if this is more of a 'preview' product of what Tribes: Universe will be, it's nice to see the Tribes IP put to use again.

Lin

but what about legions? will you guys be continuing development after ascend and universe come out?

Redvan

Private Tester
jesus christo. T2? really...

Again going to the second gen players. T1 is where the bread and butter is.
art style referencing T2... T2 art was basically a more polished T1 art due to advancements in computing... at least thats the way I look at it. They not talkin gameplay here... gameplay hopefully will be fairly new since both T1 and T2 are slow.

Propkid

but what about legions? will you guys be continuing development after ascend and universe come out?
No. In order to not be limited by his inferior human shell and its needs Mabel will scan and convert his mind into an .exe to play *Tribes: Ass-End*, hence he won't be able to write any more code for L:O.

Of course they will continue! First of all (I hope that) L:O will be released before T:A and will gain a sufficient popularity to keep going/ to make IAC reconsider the project. Second of all the only way to stop these guys from working on L:O would be everyone quitting it for good. So ask yourself if you'll give up the game, then think whether others will.

Buhlitz

probably means aim assist will be in the game then...

You know as well as I do no amount of aim assist will make up for tribes aiming skill/habits. Slight magnetism is probably the route they'd take I assume , Halo / Shadowrun esque. Even then it only really helps slow players at low sensitivities in my experiences. I doubt that would be included in the PC version though so it wouldn't matter I think.

On another note, I played Tribes Arial assault and while it felt cumbersome I definitely think controls can be done that will work, and I think some people will be surprised at the level people will be able to get to with a controller, some might even be able to compete. Capping and Flag play for instance would be easy with a controller imo. Skiing/capping feels like driving a vehicle for me anyway (third person). I'll be playing PC regardless though, unless the xbox version see's Black ops like numbers, which is again why I'm REALLY hoping for cross platform.

Binswees

Why the hell is this in the off topic section? I never read this crap and I'm probably not the only one, deserves to be in general discussion imo.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Why the hell is this in the off topic section? I never read this crap and I'm probably not the only one, deserves to be in general discussion imo.

Seeing as Tribes Ascend is not associated with Legions: Overdrive, I would agree with Fixious that this thread belongs here in Other Discussion - Off Topic and not Legions - General Discussion.

GReaper

Grumpy
The Legions section of the forums are strictly Legions only. Whilst I'm sure most of us are pretty excited regarding the announcement of *Tribes: Ass-End*, it still belongs in Off Topic.

Perhaps you might want to visit this place a bit more often?