The art of sniping

Xtreme

shaska's bff
Insightful post. Don't mind the others, they're anal. I've played against you several times and I must admit your sniping was most enraging. Not only because you were good, but particularly because it proved to be effective, as it stopped me in my tracks whenever I was going for the flag or chasing an enemy flag carrier.

I've played around with the Hornet class and it's not bad at all. I recommend it to people who find themselves stuck playing in a rather boring pub.

Floks

The only practical use is dueling, though.

Please don't say things like this.

1. Who are you?

2. What evidence do you have to support the idea that it is only useful for dueling?

The outrider sniper has been shown to be quite effective in pick up games. In fact some might say it's not practical at all for dueling, but very practical in CTF.

Please don't say things like this.

1. Who are you?

2. What evidence do you have to support the idea that it is only useful for dueling?

The outrider sniper has been shown to be quite effective in pick up games. In fact some might say it's not practical at all for dueling, but very practical in CTF.
Woops, sorry about that.

1. My name is Lepidopterist.

2. For defending, I bet it's pretty useful, as are all the sniper loadouts. But again, with all sniper loadouts, you have to be a pretty good shot. Chasing wouldn't work, because Laser Rifle removes all energy. Capping is pointless with it.

For those people who say "it's not practical at all for dueling", I must be an absolute god with the Laser Rifle. I was easily holding my own against Raiders. Even if it wasn't good for dueling, don't get on my case just because you don't know me. I said something absolute about a loadout and you get all defensive on me. If anything get on your buddies' ass for saying it's not practical in dueling. You do know a Laser Rifle shot does tons of damage close range? You don't duel across the map.

Redvan

Private Tester
Woops, sorry about that.

1. My name is Lepidopterist.

2. For defending, I bet it's pretty useful, as are all the sniper loadouts. But again, with all sniper loadouts, you have to be a pretty good shot. Chasing wouldn't work, because Laser Rifle removes all energy. Capping is pointless with it.

For those people who say "it's not practical at all for dueling", I must be an absolute god with the Laser Rifle. I was easily holding my own against Raiders. Even if it wasn't good for dueling, don't get on my case just because you don't know me. I said something absolute about a loadout and you get all defensive on me. If anything get on your buddies' ass for saying it's not practical in dueling. You do know a Laser Rifle shot does tons of damage close range? You don't duel across the map.

thats the problem.

What you said is most certainly not absolute.

You can easily hold your own against raiders? What is holding your own? Getting a shot on a raider before he annihilates you? Going 1 and 1? What players? Some noob raider or someone that actually knows what they're doing?

As for chasing not working: I've seen it done. Just takes energy management.

As for Capping: I've seen capping done with no shots fired, so, technically you don't need any weapons at all for capping. True, you limit your capabilities as a capper when you have a LR, but, I'm sure someone could make it work.

As for the point click argument: Every weapon is point click. You point where you want to aim, then you click. /argument

Outlawl

Macabre
If you can't argue without being a dick, don't post.

Any passive-aggressiveness or general dickish behavior will be met with a nuke and/or ban.

thats the problem.

What you said is most certainly not absolute.

You can easily hold your own against raiders? What is holding your own? Getting a shot on a raider before he annihilates you? Going 1 and 1? What players? Some noob raider or someone that actually knows what they're doing?

As for chasing not working: I've seen it done. Just takes energy management.

As for Capping: I've seen capping done with no shots fired, so, technically you don't need any weapons at all for capping. True, you limit your capabilities as a capper when you have a LR, but, I'm sure someone could make it work.

As for the point click argument: Every weapon is point click. You point where you want to aim, then you click. /argument
Holding my own means killing them, 1 on 1. I'd say it's people who are my own skill level. With your other points, yeah, it may be possible to do those things, but there are other loadouts that are much more efficient at those jobs. So why pick Outrider sniper to cap, when a RL is so useful for some routes? Why chase with a LR, when it just adds another thing to slow you down?

Redvan

Private Tester
Holding my own means killing them, 1 on 1. I'd say it's people who are my own skill level.
Ahh, k ;)

With your other points, yeah, it may be possible to do those things, but there are other loadouts that are much more efficient at those jobs. So why pick Outrider sniper to cap, when a RL is so useful for some routes? Why chase with a LR, when it just adds another thing to slow you down?
Chasing with a LR = Get fast, jump a hill, pop a shot, hopefully get them to minimal health with 1 hit, fall back to earth. If done right, you fall onto a down slope headed in the direction you want to go for another shot if necessary.

If you fail to stop the capper, but are inbound on their flag on a halfway descent route, flow right into a capper role. Hopefully you have LO already at the enemy base that can help stop the cap if they weren't able to egrab, or at least create enough confusion for you to slip in for the grab. Makes it even easier if you're on TS or Vent with your team. If you know you failed to stop the capper, but you know your LO will be able to, let them know to not egrab, just prevent the cap, so you can get the good grab.

L:O is about fluidity. When people stick strictly to specific roles, you cant achieve maximum fluidity (hence the reason I always say players need to be able to fill any role), or you'll get caught with your pants down. Some people may enjoy that more than others.

So really, it's not so much about what loadouts are better for what positions. While that is true, don't limit yourself to that mentality. It's about the flow.

As for picking LR OR to cap, well, run a back route, good LO distracts, you garb falg, pop a hill, turn around, boom headshot anyone who's chasing you.

I'm aware of the "flow" of Legions. I did earlier recognize it was possible to do those things as a LR OR. It just seems goofy to use LR OR primarily to cap, or chase. The idea of being ready for anything, with any class is great, but most people, such as myself, are no where near the skill level needed to accomplish the things you described.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I've played around with the Hornet Loadout for a few days now, and it is most effective sniper in my opinion. With the rocket launcher and the higher health from the medium loadout, I can be a base defender and capper at the same time. Versatility.

Its main problem is the lack of dueling ability, against the chain, it becomes darned impossible. The best way to counter it is to keep your distance and ground pound them.

Trust me. Chasing with the sniper rifle IS possible, it takes practice, alot of it. (Quake Live is a good training ground, use the railgun, I get around 50 % Accuracy average with it nowadays) I find the best way to chase is using the OD SlipStream method, where you can gain speed quickly, and be right behind them. You would not believe the skillful shots I have been pulling of in Publics, its even surprised me. Just need to try it in a pickup now.

skypredator

I personally don't like the Hornet, but the Rooster is alright. My problems with these two classes is the low amount of ammunition for the LR, the restricted maneuverability of it, the weakness of the LR, and the slow fire rate. Personally, I don't think that it's very much use as a normal D Sniper, but perhaps more of an "all-over-the-base" sort of defender. And I've only seen Epiclight and Kryst use it effectively. I was good with it before IA went down, but now I can't stand trying to chase-snipe with a medium-sized suit. It's hard even with an Outrider.