The art of sniping

Braiken

Hello there fellow legioneers! I've seen many threads about sniping, some found it underpowered while others believed the total opposite. I did some sniping in the last few weeks and while there is a lot more for me to learn I thought I'd share my experience with you about being a sniper (the pros and the cons).

So here are my thoughts:

I. Combat:
1) The enemy and you! Snipers are not frontline fighters (especially if you take the outrider sniper). Your most powerful weapon is your laser rifle which can deal a great deal of damage to the enemy before he reaches you or your base. Once in direct contact with your enemy your sniper rifle becomes somewhat useless since it eats your energy thus reducing your moving capabilities (which is essentials in combat). Other issue is that if you try to aim it takes time and during that time you'll most likely get a rocket in your face, so I'd advise either get away or practice your twitch-shooting skills (in time you'll recognize moving patterns and be able to shoot your enemies while moving/flying). If you're lucky a teammate will be there to assist you or even divert the attackers attention so you can aim carefully and land that killer shoot.

2) Zooming! I find it important that newbie snipers use the zoom function since it really makes your aim more precise. It's also important that what zoom level fits the current situation the best. There are 3 levels of zooming + the default view:
a) Level 3 (highest) zoom: I'd advise this on far away targets or mid range targets who move slowly.
b) Level 2 zoom: It's great for small maps to shoot incoming cappers (I use this the most). c) Level 1 zoom: Level 1 is probably the one you'd prefer in mid range (cappers who are getting real close or just leaving your base).
d) Default view: It's great when you need to shoot while moving since it gives you the best view of your surroundings (so it's your choice if you are attacked). In time you can become so professional with the laser rifle that you can shoot even far away targets without zooming!

3) Hitting your targets! At first it can be real tricky to get the enemy players, so here are a few tips on how to land a succesful shoot. Peak-shoots (thats how I call them) are one of the easiest ones to master. It involves shooting your target when his/her route reached its peak (when the route reached it's top and it's about to go down), cause during this few moments they hardly move. Another easy way to hit your target is to get into a position where it heads in your direction. Just aim at it and pull the trigger. It's also important to note that later you'll be able to shoot enemies who move really fast in any direction. The trick is to predict its movement and shoot where you think he will be the second you pull the trigger. So when you aim for those targets who are going away from you always shoot where you predict there will be the next moment (+ ping), cause if you aim for them directly it most likely will miss.

4) Range! Snipers are best at close to long range (350-400m). It's also important to note that after a certain distance your damage output will be reduced (it can be even zero if your target is really far away)

5) 1st or 3rd person? This really is an interesting question. I'd say whichever you prefer. I did just as good in 3rd person as in 1st so I'd say choose which fits your needs better, it won't influence how good you can become!

6) Energy and laser rifle! It's also important to note that the damage output of your laser rifle is based on your current energy level. Try consecutive shooting and notice how your damage output is reduced.

II. Your place in the match:
1) Snipers - Guardians of the falg! Snipers are meant for defense so I wouldn't advise offensive sniping (aka osniping). This means don't shoot the enemy defenders. I know they can be easy targets for their lack of movement, but this won't improve your skill, and you'll never become good at sniping. If you decide to roll a sniper you should stay in your base and obliterate the enemy's offense. Still I think it's okay to leave your cozy base just to retrieve the flag from the opposing team.
Another viable option is to snipe in midfield.

2) Positioning! It's really important to find the perfect place from where you can take out the enemy offense. The best position to shoot a capper is to stand somewhere where he comes straight forward for you (it's really easy to shoot them then and you might even do a body block). In time you'll able to shoot enemies from many directions, still it's best to choose the position where you can land your shoots with the highest precision (usually it's the front of the base or the back of it). If you are midfielding find an either high place where you can see the enemy targets or get into their routes and snipe/bodyblock them.

3) Chasing as a sniper! Currently I find the hornet (rocket launcher+laser rifle) the best one at snipe chasing. A quick rocket jump or the new trendy grenade+rocket blast combo and you're after your enemy. Sniping while going fast is really tough nut especially after the 1st shoot (it drains your energy and if the terrain isnt plain it can cause you to fall behind), so I'd advise to either get close to your enemy, stop, aim then shoot or get to a high point (or any other place) where you can have a clear shoot on them.

4) Roles!
a) Defender (see II. 1.)
b) Chaser (see II. 3.)
c) Midfielder: A variant of defender, the main difference is that midfielders are based somewhere on the battlefield instead of their own base.
d) Sweeper: Sweepers are killing machines, their job is to keep their base and its territory (or even the enemy base) free of the enemy

III. Loadouts:
Currently there are 3 loadouts that have the sniper rifle in them.
a) Sniper (light armor): Sniper is the only class that has the laser rifle 2, which deals a slightly more damage than the plain laser rifle. It can 2 shoot kill an outrider(59,5%HP/shoot), 3 shoot kill a raider(44,5% HP/shoot) and 5 shoot kill a sentinel (22,5% HP/shoot). It also has the chaingun which chainwhores will love. The greatest weakness of this loadout is the low HPs and the lack of splash damage weapon (some clever enemies use this to their advantage).

b) Hornet (medium armor): Armed with laser rifle and a rocket launcher this loadout is able to devastate an enemy player in a blink of an eye (well if that blink is longer then 3-4 seconds of course). One of the best combos is to shoot your target who is far away with the laser rifle then change to rocket launcher and suprise them with a MA (mid-air). Also this loadout has more HP than the Sniper and is more fitting for those who are good at MAs. It can 2 shoot kill an outrider(x%HP/shoot), 3 shoot kill a raider(40% HP/shoot) and 5 shoot kill a sentinel (20% HP/shoot). Weakness is the slightly less damage output with laser rifle (trust me it matters), somewhat worse manuverability, and the long weapon swapping time.

c) Rooster (medium armor): Same as the hornet just with grenade launcher instead of rocket launcher. I only recommend it if you are really good with the grenade launcher.

Well this post has gotten a bit long, but I do hope this will help some snipers who are eager to learn and become valued members of our community. Thanks for reading!

Other opinions:
1) Redvan raised a concern about osniping.
The reason people bitch about osniping so much is because they suck at countering it. Since you have spent time as a sniper, you'll know that they are weak. If someone is osniping, just go out and kill them.
O sniping is a valid tactic, and if a team cannot effectively counter that tactic, well, too bad for them.

Regards
Braiken

Redvan

Private Tester
I'd disagree with #3. Snipers are meant to be used where you feel like using them. Just like the RL, GL, and CG. The reason people bitch about osniping so much is because they suck at countering it. Since you have spent time as a sniper, you'll know that they are weak. If someone is osniping, just go out and kill them.

O sniping is a valid tactic, and if a team cannot effectively counter that tactic, well, too bad for them.

I could say pounding the ground as a gunner won't improve skill, while true, that doesn't mean it's not a valid tactic.

I think what you're trying to say with #3 is: If you want to get good with the sniper, dont just stand around picking off easy targets. Practice jetting and sniping moving targets...

Same applies for every weapon. For example: Best way to learn MAs is to restrict yourself to only going for MA shots. Once you get good at that, it's easy to go back to ground pounding.

Nice post other than that though :)

I've been able to successfully O Snipe before, as well as duel with a sniper. It's extremely hard, and you have to have some real confidence to do it.

Braiken

I forgot to add a really important thing, that I'd love to hear your opinion and discuss this stuff, cause not all I've said is engraved in stone. I'll gladly change my original post if you can give valid reasons to do so. Also I'm adding some new points to it I was simply lazy to do it an hour ago. Thanks for your feedback!

Propkid

My loadout is Hornet ever since L:O came out. I agree with most of the things mentioned in OP, though IMO Hornets can manage just as well in front-line battle as any other loadout if the player is skilled at MAs. It's not too UP and certainly not OP (well, Outrider Sniper is potentially OP but nobody good is playing it ATM). What I'd like to add is that when you are sniping it's really useful to add an extra zoom level, FOV 7 or 8. I also don't recommend using the default ret or the Rooster loadout, unless you are a grenade god.

Get Tomstoiler to read this thread. He's the only other decent Hornet user that I know

Braiken

My loadout is Hornet ever since L:O came out. I agree with most of the things mentioned in OP, though IMO Hornets can manage just as well in front-line battle as any other loadout if the player is skilled at MAs. It's not too UP and certainly not OP (well, Outrider Sniper is potentially OP but nobody good is playing it ATM). What I'd like to add is that when you are sniping it's really useful to add an extra zoom level, FOV 7 or 8. I also don't recommend using the default ret or the Rooster loadout, unless you are a grenade god.

Get Tomstoiler to read this thread. He's the only other decent Hornet user that I know

I agree that the Hornet is better at front line if the user is indeed a skilled MAer. Still I think it mostly come down to preferences. I'd say if you like the rocket launcher more take hornet. If you are a fan of chaingun take the sniper. I'm sadly uninformed about new zoom levels. As for the rets I'm still using default and managed to get to the level with them where I am now. It's preferences again I guess though there might really be some good ones out there that helps newbies. If you know any feel free to post.

Also why do you think the Sniper is OP?

If someone is o-sniping, they do maximum harass from a relatively safe distance. And if you go for them, you're not contributing to defense/offense, and chances are, the sniper will see you coming and respawn, making you waste valuable time while they can just start over in half a minute.
By going after them, they successfully divert a man from doing what the team needs; by not going after them, they rape the defense. O-sniping is a powerful tactic, but certainly not a valid one.
And PLEASE do not say you can snipe them back from your base.

On the topic of your original post:
I don't know what you're trying to say with Combat - 1 besides what should be apparent to the players.
In Combat - 2, you talk about your 3 preferred zoom levels, but you don't state the FOV, making the section very unclear.
Combat - 3 is excellent.
For Combat - 4... I'm not sure, but I think if you're dueling at close-range with the unzoomed LR, it has a slight damage increase decrease. I could be wrong, of course.
Your Place - 1, 2, and 3 are all quite good.
I suggest you replace the commas in your percentage values with decimals, though.

/end mini wall of text

Braiken

In Combat - 2, you talk about your 3 preferred zoom levels, but you don't state the FOV, making the section very unclear.
For Combat - 4... I'm not sure, but I think if you're dueling at close-range with the unzoomed LR, it has a slight damage increase. I could be wrong, of course.

What should I state about FOV? I'm unsure what you mean, can you elaborate?
Also as far as I know there is no damage increase with unzoomed LR.

Some of you newer players, Braiken, Lepidopterist, should get onto Teamspeak 3 and play some PUGs. Show people how it's done.

I'll gladly do some PUGs but my mic is currently broken.

Sniping, like trolling, is indeed a art.
I don't get why are you comparing sniping with trolling, this really has to do nothing with my original post. Give constructive critism or troll elsewhere

Propkid

Also why do you think the Sniper is OP?
Potentially OP. Once the day will come when a decent chaingunspraywhore will learn to LR well. CG=OP imo (keep this argument for another thread), and if someone skilled combines it with the LR anything flying will just die.

Potentially OP. Once the day will come when a decent chaingunspraywhore will learn to LR well. CG=OP imo (keep this argument for another thread), and if someone skilled combines it with the LR anything flying will just die.
Definitely. I played someone who was using CG/LR, and although he wasn't necessarily skillful, I was taking a lot of damage very quickly every time I dueled him.

Redvan

Private Tester
/facepalm
If someone is o-sniping, they do maximum harass from a relatively safe distance. And if you go for them, you're not contributing to defense/offense, and chances are, the sniper will see you coming and respawn, making you waste valuable time while they can just start over in half a minute.
By going after them, they successfully divert a man from doing what the team needs; by not going after them, they rape the defense. O-sniping is a powerful tactic, but certainly not a valid one.
And PLEASE do not say you can snipe them back from your base.

An O sniper is harassing the enemy D, therefore, it's valid. Is that not what anything O want's to be doing?
Someone going out to take care of the sniper is helping D, because they're scaring off the sniper, whether the sniper respawns or waits to get owned. If the sniper respawns, the person going out to take care of it has 2 options: Continue on route to enemy base for a grab or LO (send someone who is playing one of these positions out to scare off the sniper next time they respawn), or they can respawn themselves just as easily. It's not a waste of time if you're scaring off something that's "devastating" your D. You're also not diverting a man from doing what the team needs, seeing as the team needs to get rid of the osniper.

I'll add to this and say: If you're getting hit by an osniper while playing D, you're probably not moving enough. Don't just stand there waiting for cappers and LO, keep moving. It's easy.

You could also send an additional LO to the enemy base to put more pressure on them, thus causing them to want to pull their osniper back into a defensive position.

You just need to keep your mind open to the options rather than qq'ing about osniping.

Kryst

Private Tester
Come on down to some pugs one day and see if your sniping skills can change the flow of a game. :) That's a good way to tell if your doing it right. O-snipe, D-snipe, Sweeper, Snipe chase. Bunch of ways it can be used.

Redvan

Private Tester
Come on down to some pugs one day and see if your sniping skills can change the flow of a game. :) That's a good way to tell if your doing it right. O-snipe, D-snipe, Sweeper, Snipe chase. Bunch of ways it can be used.
+1

Osniping in PUBs is going to seem excessively easy, due to the generally easy nature of PUBs. Take it to a PUG and it'll turn out quite differently.

What should I state about FOV? I'm unsure what you mean, can you elaborate?
Also as far as I know there is no damage increase with unzoomed LR.
You're separating the zoom levels that work for you, but there are so many zoom levels. Just saying "high, medium, low" aren't going to cover it, although people's preferences differ.
Changed my post. I meant to say damage decrease.

So I guess, instead of arguing about the validity of o-sniping, I should just go out there and try it myself.

LindN

PUGs are scary! I got Teamspeak, though.
go do it, play one single.

i snipe a lot in pubs but in PuGs, it's not possible cause you're gonna get rockets up your ass as fast as you even think about picking the LR and start aiming

however, still a valid tactic to annoy the living crap out of cappers in pubs seeing as you won't get rockets up your ass and if you are they're probably too bad to kill a LR in a duel

Braiken

You're separating the zoom levels that work for you, but there are so many zoom levels. Just saying "high, medium, low" aren't going to cover it, although people's preferences differ.
Changed my post. I meant to say damage decrease.

I can't really talk about other zoom levels since these are the ones I got experience with. If you got something to say about it I'll gladly add it to the original post. Also zooming doesn't change the damage output of LR, your current energy levels does though.