Server Browser via Forums

Royalty

The Aussie
Is it possible that we can view the servers which are online via the forums, and how many people are in those servers, without having to launch Legions every time?

How much coding would this require/is it possible?

Dino

I like this idea and it would be very helpful.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure there is an add on in which you can see how many people are on a server, because I have seen them in different game websites.

I

IzRaPiDz

Best idea I've seen. If I had the Torque programming knowledge, I'd be cracking on with it now.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Does anyone actually visit the homepage? There's a rather large blank area to the left of the forum logo. Though I guess it wouldn't hurt to have it on all pages, considering the banner is displayed everywhere.

I don't think there would be more to put all the servers there. I don't visit the homepage but I would if the server status was there. It's only one click away from the forums as well. On the other hand it might actually promote the game some more as new people would see that there are actually people playing the game right now.

Defender

http://t2.plugh.us/
Tribes2 alternate master server uses a crude server list code on its site.
It only updates like every hour but that could be adjusted I think.
The code for it is mostly included, except for some of the web code on his site..
You can contact the creator at Email: t2ams@t2.plugh.us, and ask for master server code..
I added it to my site, but its not updating, sent an email to the guy who made it, no response yet, guess he busy..

The guys at, http://www.maxogc.net/tribes/t2/master.php
Made a real nice one for tribes2, maybe they would help...
I just found a link to download what looks like the code that runs all this...
http://www.maxogc.net/tribes/t2/T2phpstats.tar.gz

When you click on a server you will see this below, the link to the code is there.

Copyright © 2013 MaxOGC.net and its original authors.
All rights reserved.

Armageddon

Teapot
I might take a crack at this since i was working on a mumble viewer for Xenforo not too long ago and this would be pretty handy not only for this site but also for mine :). It's not going to be anything huge like Def just posted, probably more like what fixi mocked up- Server name/status and player count.

GReaper

Grumpy
Just a few things to clarify my position/thoughts on it.

I'm not adding any plugins to the forums. It's not needed, and only causes more time and effort every time I want to upgrade the forums to the latest version. I prefer to keep them as simple as possible, so that I don't have to go updating various things, or ending up with forums which lose features every time they get updated.

You do not need this in the forums. Really, you don't. You're just asking for it because it's the place you frequently visit, you assume that everyone should visit it, and should be the most logical place. Everyone uses the forum, right?

No!

People should be able to get the game, read all about it without having to go to the forums. They shouldn't have to read 20 sticky threads which haven't been updated for months because the users of the forum believe that's where the content should go, even though once a thread gets stickied the creator of the thread rarely updates the content of it.

Excuse that mini-rant.

What you probably want is just a page somewhere you can go and look at so you don't have to load the game. It can be hosted anywhere, just so that you've got a bookmark you can click so you can see the list of servers, and who is playing on each server. This makes it ideal as a small project for someone else, as they could make a mini site to provide the functionality for the small number of users this really matters to.

A couple of bits of advice to anyone who wants to do it...

As I've said before, the game query protocol is standard Torque (check T3D here). Reading this should help describe the protocol. There's a few implementations of Torque compatible master servers available online as well for reference.

Please cache any data you get. The master server doesn't need querying every time your page loads, and the game servers don't need querying constantly either. A 60 second cache of any data your page gets from game servers should be reasonable.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
Managed to actually get half of this working... thanks to a lot of hand holding from GReaper. ^_^

Armageddon

Teapot
Just a few things to clarify my position/thoughts on it.

I'm not adding any plugins to the forums. It's not needed, and only causes more time and effort every time I want to upgrade the forums to the latest version. I prefer to keep them as simple as possible, so that I don't have to go updating various things, or ending up with forums which lose features every time they get updated.

You do not need this in the forums. Really, you don't. You're just asking for it because it's the place you frequently visit, you assume that everyone should visit it, and should be the most logical place. Everyone uses the forum, right?

No!

People should be able to get the game, read all about it without having to go to the forums. They shouldn't have to read 20 sticky threads which haven't been updated for months because the users of the forum believe that's where the content should go, even though once a thread gets stickied the creator of the thread rarely updates the content of it.

Excuse that mini-rant.

What you probably want is just a page somewhere you can go and look at so you don't have to load the game. It can be hosted anywhere, just so that you've got a bookmark you can click so you can see the list of servers, and who is playing on each server. This makes it ideal as a small project for someone else, as they could make a mini site to provide the functionality for the small number of users this really matters to.

A couple of bits of advice to anyone who wants to do it...

As I've said before, the game query protocol is standard Torque (check T3D here). Reading this should help describe the protocol. There's a few implementations of Torque compatible master servers available online as well for reference.

Please cache any data you get. The master server doesn't need querying every time your page loads, and the game servers don't need querying constantly either. A 60 second cache of any data your page gets from game servers should be reasonable.

Really disagree on most of this, mainly about personal projects and lack of updates on them. This site lacks a community file system even though one exists for the software used here. Does anyone need to visit the forums.. no not really but i'd highly recommend to anyone who hasn't because of the tweaks/helpful videos and other community projects. Honestly making the forums more user friendly wouldn't hurt.. when was the last time the main page was updated with anything useful?

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
yE2nYgw.png

(you don't understand how hard this was)

credit to koan (C++) and GReaper (networking) for talking me through a wall of confusing stuff.

Last edited: