REQUEST: Mod which shows your health in numbers

snob

Bump!

Found this whilst lurking through legions stuff on google.

The screenshot is of PlayLegions, so at some point someone made this work.

godofgames

If you can see someone else's percentage of health, there's a way. Just find the variables, make some fancy art, script it, and voila!
The hard part is finding those variables. Then after that, if you know what you're doing, it's just smooth sailing.

Redvan

Private Tester
Your mind can comprehend an analogue readout faster than a digital one. That's why most instruments in aircraft are represented in analogue format. They are augmented by a digital readout if necessary more precision (ie: Altitudes for Instrument Flight Rules, Reduced Vertical Separation Minimum operations, etc).

All that to say: You're only slowing yourself down ;)

Your mind can comprehend an analogue readout faster than a digital one. That's why most instruments in aircraft are represented in analogue format. They are augmented by a digital readout if necessary more precision (ie: Altitudes for Instrument Flight Rules, Reduced Vertical Separation Minimum operations, etc).

All that to say: You're only slowing yourself down ;)
Can't agree more. But we're not asking to replace the bars with a digit readout, we're asking to add it. That way we get precision for the most important gauges on your hud.

Redvan

Private Tester
Can't agree more. But we're not asking to replace the bars with a digit readout, we're asking to add it. That way we get precision for the most important gauges on your hud.
Just out of curiosity, what do you need exact HP readouts for? Do you have the values memorized for how much damage each rocket does at different splash ranges/direct hits?

It's cool that you want it and all, I just fail to see the point unless you plan on calculating where you can be in relation to a grenade explosion and take minimal damage for amount of energy used to dodge it ;)

Delpicy

I think the most useful use for it is to know EXACTLY how much health you need to rocket jump. If you are capping but don't know if you will make it in time, as your health is fairly low, it is good to know whether you can afford a rocket jump or not

I kind of like to know the percentages myself, as well. I would like to see in an instance if I can make that close rocket jump. Or how many bullets you can receive before you hit the dirt.

Knowing the exact amount is useful for things like rjs and combo boosts, but also if you can make a getaway safely or not. Knowing if you can take a sniper hit on the return route is vital information sometimes. And it can be useful if to know if you can make the OD return and things like that.

But most importantly, it should be added because the enemy knows this and you don't. The fact that you're guessing and the enemy isn't is simply weird, and it would be a good idea to set this straight.

I think the most useful use for it is to know EXACTLY how much health you need to rocket jump. If you are capping but don't know if you will make it in time, as your health is fairly low, it is good to know whether you can afford a rocket jump or not
Use your head and try to not die when rocket jumping
if you're good at it you can rocket jump with 2% health
i usually succeed at 4%-5% without dieing

Redvan

Private Tester
Knowing the exact amount is useful for things like rjs and combo boosts, but also if you can make a getaway safely or not. Knowing if you can take a sniper hit on the return route is vital information sometimes. And it can be useful if to know if you can make the OD return and things like that.

But most importantly, it should be added because the enemy knows this and you don't. The fact that you're guessing and the enemy isn't is simply weird, and it would be a good idea to set this straight.
If you learn those things based on the analogue readout you'll be able to process it quicker than via digital readout. The mind interprets images quicker than words/numbers.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Interesting, I guess this would help some players, I just go by the little white bars and the color of the highest bar in my HUD.

Kissyface_r0x

Private Tester
If you learn those things based on the analogue readout you'll be able to process it quicker than via digital readout. The mind interprets images quicker than words/numbers.
I would like to see this implemented as well. Although the reasons arent numerous, it's a simple mod which can be helpful in the following situations (that I can think of off the top of my head):

- On your way home with the flag wondering if you have 6% or more health, since there is a crucial difference between needing two chain shots to be killed and only needing one.
- In a slower or more relaxed dueling situation (SaH trying to kill an LO near his base) where you want to know if you can still survive being mid aired once, and adjusting your movements accordingly.

Both situations allow plenty of time to look at your hud to check your health without jeopardizing your position, and also have a significant reason behind needing exact numerical values.

I'm not trying to argue, I understand that you were just questioning the usefulness of it and I'm responding as such. I do agree that in most situations, this mod would would be trivial but I also see some significant uses for it.

My exams are nearly over, I'll have a look into scripting a mod for it after they finish. Mind you, I'd have to find which of the variables being sent from the server is the right one. They will exist somewhere.
I have to say, while I'd never even glance at it in intense combat situations, I do sometimes like to know an exact number.

...make some fancy art...
No art involved mate. It's a numerical answer, Much easier to just use text of the right size and colour, perhaps with a shadow like the small ones on other people's health.

I have to say, even though I would use it even less, I would probably also have to make a energy bar one for symmetry's sake.
(I'm a bit like that. Can't give one of the two cool bar things a number and not the other, it'll feel left out and self-harm, then you'll be left with no energy and just have to walk/jump the whole game).

godofgames

You could in theory find what your health is at each place on the bar and put little percentage ticks evenly spaced on the bar. This would not require any scripting, and would probably be easier to do for the average Joe. And here you would use fancy art. ;)

well if you want that, i've actually got this.

Found it on my computer while I was searching for a copy of the original ones.
Sorry to whoever actually made it, it doesn't have a signature and it's old enough I can't remember who did it.

They are fairly basic, but if anyone wants to base new ones off it (more prettyful) then I'm sure they're welcome to.

P.S, just realised. this thread should really be in the mods thread.

Attachments

• Legions Health and Energy Bars.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 8