Request: Aussie Test Servers

Royalty

The Aussie
In this thread: http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/australian-servers.36/ many Aussies and devs have discussed the possibility of having dedicated Australian servers.

I suggest using the money which has been donated by the community to set up two or three test servers based in Australia- Preferably in Adelaide, NSW or Melbourne.

These servers would only stay for a week or two as part of an incentive for more Aussie players/ Kiwi players to donate, meaning if enough money was donated, the servers would stay.

There is quite a large number of Aussie and Kiwi players, and these servers would regularly be used, even occasionally by some Asian players.

Just an idea....
-on that note, maybe this thread should be moved to suggestions...

Royalty

The Aussie
In the thread which posted in my original post, the Aussies have listed a few server possibilities, in fact GReaper has even posted in that thread himself. That thread however hasn't been active for a while.... so I don't know if those possibilities are still available...

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
In the thread which posted in my original post, the Aussies have listed a few server possibilities, in fact GReaper has even posted in that thread himself. That thread however hasn't been active for a while.... so I don't know if those possibilities are still available...

The last post of the thread you linked to was dated Feb 3, 2011 (excluding yours). GReaper's post was made May 2, 2011. As far as I know, GReaper's post still stands and I'm unsure if anyone has forwarded viable Australian servers their way yet.

BugsPray

Legions Developer
We actually have been contacted by a couple folks about Aussie servers. I responded saying that we'd love to work something out, gave them the specs and requirements, but I haven't heard back since. This has been the case with most of the offers from the Aussie community. We're definitely open to helping host servers in other locations as long as we retain exclusive control over the server (until we get the game to a state where we can allow player hosted dedicated servers). In fact, we're working with a member in the community right now to do just that (not an Aussie server though). We just need you guys to follow through.

Royalty

The Aussie
We actually have been contacted by a couple folks about Aussie servers. I responded saying that we'd love to work something out, gave them the specs and requirements, but I haven't heard back since. This has been the case with most of the offers from the Aussie community. We're definitely open to helping host servers in other locations as long as we retain exclusive control over the server (until we get the game to a state where we can allow player hosted dedicated servers). In fact, we're working with a member in the community right now to do just that (not an Aussie server though). We just need you guys to follow through.
Could you please try an get in contact with these people if possible. I know your really trying to get some Aussie servers up and I appreciate it.
Thanks...

GReaper

Grumpy

Could you please go through each of those sites, and post here with the following:

- The cost per month
- The specs of the server, and if it uses virtualisation - which hypervisor it uses
- Amount of bandwidth per month
- The minimum contract period for that provider

You'll probably end up finding the following:

- It's likely to cost a hell of a lot more than any US/EU/Asian servers, and given the number of active players in your region, it'll cost 10-20 AUD per month per player - and the chances of every player donating are close to 0.
- We'll probably end up stuck in a contract and paying for this *chocolate cookies* whilst nobody is donating.

Royalty

The Aussie
I totally agree with most of what you just said.

You don't have to answer the following questions if you don't want to/are not allowed:

With the current amount of money you guys are receiving right now, are you struggling to keep the current servers going?
If you aren't struggling why not use the leftover money to go to an Aussie server, along with the money that 90% + of the Aussie/Kiwi community will donate?

Regardless of my two questions, you must understand that every good online game is made by Americans, has American servers, European servers, sometimes even Asian servers, however if an online game has an Australian server (which is not common), it will always be last on the priority list.

Aussies are always the last priority in online games. Don't tell me this isn't true because you know it is.

My aim of this post is just to remind you the situation Australians are in when it comes to gaming, and I hope you take this into consideration and have a think about it.

Feel for the Aussies man.... :(:(:(

*Don't start raging at me....