Range Finder

RainPilot

stinky bear
Range Finder: Whenever your cursor hovers over a friendly, it tells you the distance between you and the person. This would be somewhere above the icon for that player and not very distracting. If you don't want to see it, turn it off or move your cursor.

Purpose: Very useful for the defense to calculate the time in which their cappers will be coming home. LO could use this to see how far out there cappers our and calculate when they should began clearing.

Can be used for all sorts of things such as passes that require timing and sometimes you can't really see the player model due to sky box. You can only see the IFF and need very good communication to actually pass it.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Personally, I love this idea. It's not intrusive, and has the potential to add slightly more depth to decision-making.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Because Mabel would be coding the thing. If he refuses to do so, the only hope of getting this is someone like Rex to make a mod out of this. Of course, if Mabel refuses it on the grounds that it will cause problems (and not just that he doesn't want to take the time), it will be unlikely that anyone would make a mod of it.

Siantlark

Range Finder: Whenever your cursor hovers over a friendly, it tells you the distance between you and the person. This would be somewhere above the icon for that player and not very distracting. If you don't want to see it, turn it off or move your cursor.

It should also tell you how fast they are going. Because there is a timing difference if they are going 33 mph or if they're going 230 mph. Or meters. Whatever.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Well, the problem is, the more info you put on that, the more difficult it becomes to actually see your target... I think distance is enough.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
It should also tell you how fast they are going. Because there is a timing difference if they are going 33 mph or if they're going 230 mph. Or meters. Whatever.
You can look at how quickly they are approaching or going away based on how fast the numbers are changing. That gives a fairly intuitive feel for how fast they are going, though it may take a while to get used to.
This is a good idea, I can see it being quite useful.

Redvan

Private Tester
a range finder would be handy. Speed can be best interpreted just by viewing how quickly the distance changes, as gang said. If an actual speed were shown, you'd need direction (thus velocity) to really make it useful.

If said range finder was also included for the distance to flag stands, that would be Very nice. Gone would be the days of returning the flag because you see your carrier align with the flagstand, only to discover they were in a line, but still 400m on the other side of the flagstand. you could watch and wait till the numbers become the same. (or at least close to the same).

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I'd think that it would apply to any IFF object (flag, stand, or player), so just move your reticle over the player and the base and if they're close, then you're good.

Fixious

Test Lead
In a similar vein I wouldn't mind a targeting laser as well. I like pointing out incoming cappers in Tribes so those on the flag stand aren't caught off guard, and found myself trying to do the same in Legions.

And while I don't have any experience in coding, I don't think it'd be that difficult to make. Basically a sniper rifle with a constant, harmless beam.

Homingun

In a similar vein I wouldn't mind a targeting laser as well. I like pointing out incoming cappers in Tribes so those on the flag stand aren't caught off guard, and found myself trying to do the same in Legions.

And while I don't have any experience in coding, I don't think it'd be that difficult to make. Basically a sniper rifle with a constant, harmless beam.

Maybe go as far as to make it that if you use the targeting laser on a player, their IFF will be seen for the next 5 seconds or so. I don't know if this was how the targeting laser actually worked in tribes but it's an idea.

Lin

I like the targeting laser idea, but i feel like its a little too easy right now to get the IFF up and find out where everybody is for that to be much of an improvement. Maybe if the targeting laser showed where the person was even off screen, like the flags do.