PuG NIGHT BOYS

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
Looks like the 27th will be the final Saturday before the servers are pulled. One last hurrah, anyone?
dO2jP8wv3Ie7C.gif

I'll be there.

yami

Private Tester
sigh, ill be at a lan playing overwatch, sorry
Or you take a break from OW and join one game, then somebody looks over your shoulder and wonders what's that sweet game you're playing, pretty soon the whole lan party is watching. Intrigued, they all download it, and it becomes a legions party. You are regarded as a hero for breathing new life into the game.

57thEnryu

Or you take a break from OW and join one game, then somebody looks over your shoulder and wonders what's that sweet game you're playing, pretty soon the whole lan party is watching. Intrigued, they all download it, and it becomes a legions party. You are regarded as a hero for breathing new life into the game.
I had a mixup with greyhound and basically said "*garsh* it", so i should be there tonight :)

Fixious

Test Lead
For the time being, yes. The US servers will be taken offline at the end of the month, and PUGs are dead. However, @nil is looking into setting up his own server that can be brought online/taken down should PUGs make a come back. I'm not sure if he's totally going through with it, but he and Triad did discuss it during PUG night.

People can still host their own servers, and the EU servers will continue to operate.

I'd recommend joining the Steam group if you haven't already. Many of us are members, and is the main source for getting PUGs going.

Xzanth

Legions Developer
However, @nil is looking into setting up his own server that can be brought online/taken down should PUGs make a come back. I'm not sure if he's totally going through with it, but he and Triad did discuss it during PUG night.
One way of doing this could be a plugin for my pugbot that spins a cloud server up whenever a queue is filled. It's just a question of whether the interest is there to ever fill a queue.

Fixious

Test Lead
I believe that's what he had planned, minus the queue requirement (it'd just be manually brought online, though he might be interested in the bot). He talked about using an AWS server. It sounded pretty nifty and quite cheap.

nil

Private Tester
I created a micro instance on Amazon EC2. I'm not sure it can handle the player count for PUGs, but if it can't it is a simple matter to scale the instance.

If anyone is interested in PUGs on Saturday let me know. I will be in Teamspeak for the usual time.

@Xzanth that sounds like a good idea, although I think a web front end would be best in the future. I can send you some AWS API keys if you want. Is that in ruby? You can hook it up with fog.

Last edited:

GReaper

Grumpy
Incase it's needed, I've created a quick cloud-init user-data script:

https://gist.github.com/tomkins/b9aeeeef725eb1b002b2999b34303009

It should allow you to quickly bring up a Legions server on any cloud provider which supports cloud-init. I've tested it on DigitalOcean - and it can bring up a server in under 2 minutes.

You'll obviously need to edit the config for the admin passwords, the server name, etc. It needs Ubuntu 16.04, but with a bit of tweaking you could run it on other distributions if you want to.