New Game - MIDAIR

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I'm liking the Inventory screen, hopefully we'll get some more detail on that aspect of it. I'm curious how the system will work out (what you can mix 'n match, what's available for Abilities, Items, Tactical, etc).

Thanks to Fixi for finding me a higher quality pic.
436320913_preview_Loadouts.png

Last edited:

scoot

It seems like some of the most scathing reviews come from people who haven't really played fpsz games all that much. The tribes subreddit was way more supportive. It's disappointing, but no one really expected this game to appeal to non-tribes/legions players anyway.

It seems like some of the most scathing reviews come from people who haven't really played fpsz games all that much. The tribes subreddit was way more supportive. It's disappointing, but no one really expected this game to appeal to non-tribes/legions players anyway.

To be fair, there are also scathing reviews that come from people who have really played a lot of FPS-Z games. Namely, the criticism of the art style of the game. That's both something non fpsz players and fps-z players have responded that they don't like.

And even Tribes players don't like it, just see how many responses there are that contain the words, "Carbon copy".

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
So, I decided to post the trailer in the /r/Games subreddit. They pretty much confirmed my beliefs about the game. I really hope Archetype Studio drastically changes the art style of the game. I'm really not much into cartoonish graphics when Unreal Engine 4 is capable of much more.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3yd5h7/midair_greenlight_gameplay_trailer/

Even the youtube comments have tons of similar posts.

I also posted it, when we first launched. The responses seem to be very different to your opinions and ideas, also Mabel has nothing whatsoever to do with HiRez or development/community of T:A. Plus there is a lot of upvotes to your post, far more than there are naysayers.

Edit: also as I am reading through your post, it seems that a lot of the people who say it looks like a "carbon copy" of Tribes are being downvoted, implying people disagree with that.

That being said, we do appreciate the thoughts and feedback from everyone who plays FPSZ games. There has been a lot of support from general FPS gamers and there has been a considerable amount of people (check the Greenlight comments) who seem to like the art style. So, no, the art style will not be drastically changing, if that is a breaking point that makes it so you cannot play Midair, I am sorry to hear that and wish you the best.

We also really appreciate all of you who have given us your Yes vote on Greenlight and taken the time to share your thoughts, feedback and criticisms. :)

Last edited:

Gheist

King of all Goblins
They pretty much confirmed my beliefs about the game.
Phew man, you're lucky! Just imagine yourself having a belief that's not shared by someone else... that would be hard to bear. Luckily you've found someone to hide behind and don't have to present your opinion as what it is: Your opinion.

I get you man, I sometimes have problems in that regard as well. It can be hard to stand up for something you believe! So in this case, let me just quote a user named "SeizeForce":
You're an idiot.
Thank you.

Disci

Old man
So, I decided to post the trailer in the /r/Games subreddit. They pretty much confirmed my beliefs about the game. I really hope Archetype Studio drastically changes the art style of the game. I'm really not much into cartoonish graphics when Unreal Engine 4 is capable of much more.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3yd5h7/midair_greenlight_gameplay_trailer/

Even the youtube comments have tons of similar posts.

In 2015, almost 2016, graphics in games is the biggest concern people have. Thank god I don't live right next to you because I'd cuddle you until you see the light!

Accelerate

Private Tester
In 2015, almost 2016, graphics in games is the biggest concern people have. Thank god I don't live right next to you because I'd cuddle you until you see the light!
Such a stupid comment. With today's level of technology, there is no reason why you can't have great gameplay and great graphics. And yes, graphics do make a huge difference. Still looking forward to Midair, though.

Reactions: loc

Disci

Old man
Such a stupid comment. With today's level of technology, there is no reason why you can't have great gameplay and great graphics. And yes, graphics do make a huge difference. Still looking forward to Midair, though.
Not as stupid as the one I quoted. With all the tech pros in different games lowers the graphics to the minimal. You might wanna guess what's the reason behind that is? Anyways, graphics should be the least problem at this point when the game is in pre-alpha, which I assume most doesn't even know what it means. Newfags always crying about graphics first.

57thEnryu

What's wrong with the art style? Yeah it's a little weird but not a turn off. I'm more concerned about game pace/play. As long as that is good who gives a *garsh* how cartoonish it looks. I mean look at overwatch, the graphics are completely cartoon, but gameplay is fantastic so no-one cares.

Also congrats on gl!

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I think most people who are worried about the graphical art style is that it won't attract people because it isn't 'dark' and 'gritty' like more modern shooters I can think of, however, I think that midair's art style is fantastic. Look at LoL, different genres sure, but it had a very vibrant and bright art style that worked in it's favour, especially when getting people involved in playing it for the first time, especially to those who had never tried the genre or even particularly played video games before.

Armageddon

Teapot
I hate the art style, to me it looks like a kid with downs went nuts with a few crayons he didn't eat. Won't stop me from playing but it's too splatoony. The thing that will turn me away (don't weep) is how cookie cutter the whole game seems, if i wanted to play T1,T2 or TA i'd just launch them. Instead of buying or microtransactioning a new game with old gameplay mechanics.

Royalty

The Aussie
I actually like the map art style, just not a fan of the character models at the moment (concept art looked much better).

That's a small nitpick though, I am hyped to play and will hopefully be buying a new PC when more news about release comes my way.

I will sell my soul to private test.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I hate the art style, to me it looks like a kid with downs went nuts with a few crayons he didn't eat. Won't stop me from playing but it's too splatoony. The thing that will turn me away (don't weep) is how cookie cutter the whole game seems, if i wanted to play T1,T2 or TA i'd just launch them. Instead of buying or microtransactioning a new game with old gameplay mechanics.

That art style doesn't bother me too much, for a multiplayer game I prefer the bright graphics. I find I go a bit cross eyed if I'm playing something with a ton of detail (most recently Arkham Knight). With that said, I'm hoping the final character models will be less 'waxed prepubescent boys' and more 'hairy macho men'.

I'm hoping you're wrong about the cookie cutter sentiment, but it's hard to argue at this point. I'm hoping once the base assets are introduced, we'll get a better idea of how deep (or shallow) this game will be. Personally, I'd love to see the complexity of T1 and T2 return, where base management was a key feature. It seems to me that anything 'Tribes-inspired' lately has just been trying to squeeze the Tribes experience into something suitable for esports. It would be interesting to see a game that featured Blastside/Broadside/Scarabae-style matches, but with base customization and options similar to that of Minecraft.

Armageddon

Teapot
Totally agreed about the esports catering part. TA tried to make base D and turret farming a part of the gameplay but it always seemed to just move into a tribes LT match. I'd love to see real roles defined and matter instead of Cap/Chase/Rinse/Repeat. I'd like to see the game allow for many turrets or deployables to be set by one person instead of limiting them to 2-3, a good crop of turrets would make the enemy call in the heavier weapons and suits and bring in that semi-ground fight T1 base was good for. So far it's just playing out like Tribes LT or L:O and i thought the whole point was to make something different.