New Game - MIDAIR

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
Hey guys, we are super excited to officially announce the formation of our indie studio, Archetype Studios and give the official announcement for our project code-named "Project Z." We aren't prepared to let any detailed information out at this time but make sure to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram for all the latest. Plus you can idle in our Quakenet channel, #Archetype and don't forget to sign up for our official newsletter by heading to our website at ArchetypeStudios.net.

In addition, if any of you will be at or near PAX Prime 2014 in Seattle, WA (Aug 29 through Sep 1), we'll be hosting an event to give you a sneak peek of what we're working on. So be sure to sign up for our newsletter via the website and check the box to indicate that you'd like to participate. Beer will be provided and much more importantly you'll get to hang out with yours truly and the rest of Archetype team. (*Please note that this is not an official PAX event.*)

We are super pumped to be working on the game and, as committed players of the Tribes series, Legions, et al, are excited to make something we know you'll all have a blast playing! :)

You can find more in BugsPray's reddit post here.

Please feel free to ask questions but it's likely we can't answer many of them just yet but they'll be good fodder for a future FAQ page!

Last edited:

57thEnryu

Oh damn knew I should have made room in my schedule for pax...time to see if I can drop some *chocolate cookies*

What day would this be?

Last edited:

Application-1

test bester
yYZCqMl.gif

Royalty

The Aussie
Looking forward to it - and that's an understatement.

I know this dev team well, and I have faith that you guys won't make the same mistakes made by Hi-Rez in T:A.

Knowing that fact, I really hope the game gets the attention it deserves - you'll have my support when the time comes.

57thEnryu

Looking forward to it - and that's an understatement.

I know this dev team well, and I have faith that you guys won't make the same mistakes made by Hi-Rez in T:A.

Knowing that fact, I really hope the game gets the attention it deserves - you'll have my support when the time comes.
I fully agree, I think this game has the potential to be better than any big studio game (even make eSports scene?)

GReaper

Grumpy
eSports is build from within the community. Developers that force eSports are doomed to fail. Let the developers worry about a fun and good game. The community will turn it into a competitive game if its fun and good.

eSports does require developer support though. Riot supports LoL leagues/tournaments, Valve supports Dota 2 / CS:GO, Hi-Rez supports Smite. Only the developer can add silly little items to the game which the players can buy to support and fund the prize fund of the next big tournament.

However the first most important thing is to build a fun game which people want to play, otherwise you end up with a Shootmania - all eSports and no players.

Application-1

test bester
eSports does require developer support though. Riot supports LoL leagues/tournaments, Valve supports Dota 2 / CS:GO, Hi-Rez supports Smite. Only the developer can add silly little items to the game which the players can buy to support and fund the prize fund of the next big tournament.

However the first most important thing is to build a fun game which people want to play, otherwise you end up with a Shootmania - all eSports and no players.

Dota 2 and LoL are both games that have founding members of the wc3 mod called dota. Over the years of development people started making tournaments and it became highly competitive. However those tournaments were never funded by the developers so it remained small compared what you see nowadays. Valve took up dota 2 and Lol has riot games. Both games are now funding their own competitive scene because they are succesfull enough to do so, they have the big bank.

Counterstrike has similiar story to it all where it was the community that made it happen not valve.

Hi-rez saw a succesfull game and tweaked it a little and are feeding of a working formula.

So yes to be up there with the big dogs you need developer support nowadays. However remember that these games never had that in the beginning. The game grew on its own untill developer support was actually feasible to do. And that is a very important part imo. Esports will not earn you money at the start at all. The first international Valve lost money. Riots esports scene costed them a whole lot of money. I think it was the second or third big championship that riot did where they lost a lot of money because of a huge pricepool. However the companies here had a lot of money and could spare that kind of money. I don't see our friends at Archetype coughing up that amount of money just like that. Nor do I see hi-rez doing that however valve did something simple but increadibly smart. Make the pricepool crowd funded. With the big fanbase valve already has this gave them a lot of money. So much money it actually earned money in the end. Hi-rez took note and is now doing the same with their tournaments. Before the crowdfunded tournament they had normal tournaments aswell but props(wow props to hi-rez what is this) to them they never blew it up and kept it small just like their community.

What I am trying to say is that not a single game has ever skipped the part where community feedback happens and THEN goes into developer support in esports. Those games that did (shootmania and hawken for example) aren't doing so well right now. Smite might be the odd one out there however they are working with a succesfull formula.

tl;dr
The big esport games all started non esport. Community said we esports now. Developer said aight we esports then. Developers who didnt follow this are literally dumpster tier right now.

57thEnryu

stock-photo-can-of-worms-candy-worms-in-an-aluminum-can-isolated-134644967.jpg

Tbh most eSports that make it big (SC2, DOTA, LOL, CS, Battlefield of Duty) are backed by the development BUT that does not mean development specifically makes the game for eSports. If the game gets enough attention it could get picked up by 3rd party eSport tournaments, like (and this is an example not saying they will) MLG or IEM. Make a game that is competitive and the scene will (with community backing and exposure) come to you.

Last edited:

Fixious

Test Lead
I wish people would just sort of ignore the whole cash aspect for a second and simply focus on what's fun, balanced and actually important. Developer support means proper spectating tools, demo recording implementation, competetive rulesets, proper team/tournament management tools, a ranking/match making sytem, player stats, etc. If none of that is implemented at launch there's no chance the game will really take off competitively. If the devs (and community) want that stuff then they'll need money to do so, which they'll likely get from 'silly' crap from some dumb marketplace assuming Z will be F2P (which we all know it will, sadly).

But again, set aside cashpools for a second. If it's fun, people will play. I really dislike how important cash is for people to play in a god damn video game tournament. If that's the only thing keeping you playing, or worse if it's your main source of income, then you should probably prioritize things better.

Last edited:

Application-1

test bester
Just to clarify some things.
I never meant money as in making it profitable for players to play. I meant if you wanna make esports happen within your own game it is going to cost your company money to make it happen. Because again community made tournaments can bring in sponsors of their own if a pricepool is something you want.

Also I am against hopping aboard on the esports train when developing a game that isnt even finished yet.

That big post up there was just my 2 cents of how esports should come to fruition if a developer so desires while giving some examples.