My hopes for the future of Legions

Royalty

The Aussie
Below is the longest post ever. Please only read it if you really care about this game. Otherwise, feel free to go look at the "Harlem Shake" videos in the "Off Topic" section. :D

PLEASE REMEMBER:
  • This next post is what I want Legions to become in the future. It does not represent anyone else's views or opinions.
  • Do not post "smart ass" comments. I welcome criticism and discussion.
  • I not expecting this to happen instantly, nor am I expect instant gratification upon (Steam) release.
Before I begin this post, I will tell you a little about myself. I am and Australian Legions player, who is turning 16 this year. I have been playing Legions since late 2008. Legions has been a big part of my gaming life (which is obviously not the extent of my life). I have been skiing since I was 11 years old. Yes, 11 years old. I have stuck with this game throughout the past five years, regardless of what downfalls it experienced, whether they be the IA downfall, or the extreme lack of players in the Legions Overdrive era.

I have stuck by this game, for all of my gaming life so far. I feel responsible for this game. I feel like the game needs me, the game deserves me, and that I am a valued member of the community who will make a difference when the time comes.

That time is post-Steam-release. I believe that Steam will increases this games player-base exponentially. I believe that Steam will attract the gamers this game deserves, both in terms of numbers, and quality.

I expect Steam change Legions for the better in the following ways (within 3-6 months of Steam release):
  • Over 1,500 (I obviously expect more in certain regions) active players in EACH REGION. (EUROPE, NORTH AMERICA, SOUTH AMERICA, ASIA, AUSTRALIA & NEW ZEALAND)
  • At least 3 24-player servers in each region.
  • More exposure to the media (e.g. Reviews on Youtube, gaming websites/forums)
I believe that Steam will bring relief to both Legions and the community. It will mean at least one full server, per region, 24/7 (excluding dead hours). Hopefully, this will also result in two PUGs every hour or so in every region.

Although it saddens me to say this, I hope that there will be so many player is European, Asian and Australian players online, that I will never again have to set foot in an American server. (Unless of course, I want to have a family reunion with my fellow vets :D)

I do however, expect the Steam release to present some challenges. The immediate one will be getting used to the new engine, as despite the fact that the physics won't change, Legions will have a slightly different feel.

The biggest challenge that I expect, will be introducing new players to the game. This will be a significant barrier.

WE HAVE TO BE PREPARED FOR THIS MOMENT.

We must be ready to collaborate and make tutorials, and create a space which fosters learning, and development in-game.

Here is what I propose we should do to achieve this, and shorten the learning curve:
  • Tutorials must be made. Skiing, rules, duelling, flag passing, HUD, basic capping and chasing. You name it.
  • Veterans MUST be willing to go out of their way to teach new players how the game works for the first 3-6 months after Steam release. Veterans HAVE to understand that if we can get new players to enjoy Legions, and play it well from the first few months, the game will prosper without much attention from then on.
So what do I propose Veterans should do during this "growing period"?
  • Make videos. Especially capping videos and tutorials. If we can release a couple of basic route videos per map, the new players will get a feel for capping, and will then be able to learn more complex routes from others in-game, or create them themselves.
  • Be prepared to play with bad ping. You heard me. Let's face it, all the skill in this game is centred in America and Europe. There are simply not enough active Asian players or Australian players (I may one of the few left) active. Nor have these players have enough practise or exposure to low ping to reach the skill level of many Americans and Europeans. As a results, we NEED veteran Americans and European to be willing to spend some games in servers where they may have unideal ping, in order to teach new players, and show them how Legions is and should be played, as well as set the standard for skill and ability. I want to be clear here- I am not expecting veterans to play every single match in the Asian or Aussie servers. I do however expect them to say: "Ok, I'm going to do my part to nurture this community, and I'll play one in every ten games in an Asian or Aussie server, for the first 3-6 months". This is the attitude we need in order for the game to succeed in regions where it hasn't at any stage in the past.
Now, I don't know how long it will take for the game to hit Steam. 6 months? A year? 2-3 years?

But I do know this. I will always stand by Legions. When it is ready to hit Steam, I will be there with it. I am willing to accept the partial responsibility of the growth of Legions globally, and specifically in Australia. I will not see Legions fail. I will not allow Legions to pop and fizzle into nothingness.

I want to see its success. I will be there for its success. I will help ensure its success.

Royalty

The Aussie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This part of the post refers to my personal plan for Legions in Australia.

As some of you may have realised, at 16 I am nearing the age where I will need to stop playing games for a few years, in order to succeed in my studies. I will make this clear now- I am passionate about doing well in life and at school, and as a result, I understand the importance of studying around the clock during the two years when I am in doing my VCE (don't know what this is called in America). This period will be during the years 2014 & 2015.

If the game does happen to hit Steam in these years (which I sincerely hope it does), I will be unable to attend to Legions in game, to build the Australian community. I will however be around to hover around the forums and establish the culture that is Legions.

If the game is released in 2016 however, when I am at Uni (College in America, I believe) I will be playing frequently.

Regardless of the time when Legions is released, I will be active on the forums to see its prosperity. I am determined to be known as "that Aussie guy who stuck by Legions". I want to be respected, and much like all the people who currently play Legions, be a role model for new players- a standard to equal, a standard to beat.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wish all of the community and developers the best of luck and I know that with us on board, this game will succeed.

Once again, I will always stick with Legions, and I will be around, lingering on the forums, or playing depending on when the Steam release occurs.

Also thank you to those who originally created this fantastic game, as well as the current developers- who I am confident will bring this game success (and I hope that they will also be rewarded for their hard work). Thanks to everyone who showed me how to play Legions, and set the standard for me, and inspired me to play better.
Just to clarify, I will be active for the rest of this year, but won't be in-game for the next two.

Good luck Legionnaires. Brace yourselves, and prepare, for our chance of success is coming.

We can do this.

I hope you all take this post seriously, as I hope you all feel the same way I do.

(I can't wait until I get the chance to *dance* *chocolate cookies* up in the Aussie servers) !
Expect some montages from me :D

-Zero-

Too much!!
But good info about you.
But the point is. You want to see legions on steam. We get it ;p

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
Just a couple things.
A) Legions: Overdrive will not be on Steam, it would be may too much work to get a game on an outdated (TGEA) engine onto Steam, as sad as that is.
B) Unity Successor Game (name tbd) will be very different from Torque Legions.

However, as always, thank you for all your feedback and input. It means a lot that you guys want to see the game succeed and we truly appreciate the support and time (both with the community and in-game) that you have dedicated to us. Hopefully you'll still be able to squeeze in some Legions here and there during your studies. (Because, lets be honest here, who doesn't want toplay video games instead of studying!)

P.S. The post is not that long.

Oi don't start thinking you're the only two aussies left. I'm still keeping a keen eye on the development. ;)

Atm I'm just mixed up with other games and good ol' med, lol.

Armageddon

Teapot
A) Legions: Overdrive will not be on Steam, it would be may too much work to get a game on an outdated (TGEA) engine onto Steam, as sad as that is.

Wouldn't go that far, i've seen more shitty side scrollers on steam lately then ever, If the current legions or future legions can't make it onto steam then it's not steams fault. The engine doesn't mean anything. The craftsmanship of the game is the focal point not what it's built on.