Moon "Colony" Map

Pure

am i the only having trouble downloading this
it keeps opening a new page and saying crap like restarting download and crap please wit and then the normal download comes up agin and the same thing happens over and over :/

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
That really makes it look nicer. Like I said earlier, you'll probably want to desaturate things so that it meshes well with your monochrome landscape.

Also, I just realized something. Because there are no vehicles in Legions and there are no overhead ships, no one has ever bothered to establish an art style for ships in this game. (The rest of my post will basically be me thinking out loud about the technology of Legions which would influence what the ships look like.) If players have jetpacks like this, what would actual vehicles have? I doubt that they would have jet trails.

They're aesthetic and possibly gameplay-related; it'll be interesting to see how critical they are to visibility once IFFs get nerfed back to normalcy. But as far as the lore is concerned, they're just ghosting on the retinas or the camera, like if you were to look at something really bright and then look away really quick.

This would imply that they are stupid bright objects absolutely loaded with energy. If we have that kind of energy loaded up on players, then surely ships would have even more powerful weapons/engines. I think it was stated somewhere that jets worked by creating a gravity distortion beneath the player which is positioned variably to impart thrust. OD is simply the act of draining all available energy to maximize the strength of that field which results in directional thrust, but the forces have a tendency to turn the user into jelly.

So basically you have a civilization with high powered lasers capable of being carried by a single man and also has the ability to modify gravity. Ships then would also be able to modify gravity, and probably not just around themselves, perhaps going so far as to weaponize it. Ships would probably be built to take heavy G loads. While the coils on players are more or less exposed, those on ships would probably be significantly more protected with defensive ones being inside the hull. Offensive ones would likely be on the outside, though the defensive ones could probably be used at short range for very high damage to enemy ships. The ability to drastically distort gravity would then render traditional shields useless and wastes of energy. Why bother trying to block a laser when you can simply bend it away from you? Combat then would likely be battles of who has the better generator and can keep their ship from overheating which is surely a possibility when dealing with such high energy levels. This means that ships would also likely have very large heat sinks because when fighting an enemy that can distort gravity, directional gravity barriers aren't going to cut it. You'll have to block from all angles, otherwise they might bend the path of their own shot around your shield. This in turn rules out the possibility of using radiators during combat on the side of the ship that is not under fire. Battles then would then have to be quick, lest both ships roast from the activity of their own generators.

High gravity distortion also enables warp travel. When ships are capable of exceeding c and are not built for long battles, tactics will probably be hit-and-run if possible, though large fleet battles probably occur at times. In these instances, two strategies are likely to emerge: cycle through your ships in shifts so that not all ships burn up at once or just send everything you have at them immediately. The first option allows for a better outcome for you if the battle is ended through surrender though the second effectively guarantees the annihilation of one faction.

The bridge and the generator would likely be very close to each other as the loss of either would greatly increase the chance of defeat though auxiliary generators and a secondary bridge would probably be standard features. The auxiliary generators would probably be less efficient, generating more heat than the default ones.

As for general form, given that they were once part of an Empire, they were probably mass produced, leading to a preference of function over form. Also, the ability to distort gravity would neutralize any real need to be aerodynamic for interstellar ships, though ones that are not designed to be able to operate in a vacuum would still likely be.

I'll try to draw something up today/tomorrow by hand and then possibly redo it in PS if it turns out well.

stefygraff

Private Tester
You are stunning me. Also when it comes to ship art. We have an underground ship in fallout(middle of the map) i eas thinking to add that on this map but i dont want to make devs mad or get into troble (looking at the devs)

stefygraff

Private Tester
Had a look around in the editor, the outer part is not textured like a ship,but it looks like one. I really want to use that object.

Great stuff steffy loving the outer space feel keep it up lets get an asteroid belt map going

Ill give it a try, ill really do :)
am i the only having trouble downloading this
it keeps opening a new page and saying crap like restarting download and crap please wit and then the normal download comes up agin and the same thing happens over and over :/

Im sorry, verify your internet connection, its mediafire, very bad sometimes :(

57thEnryu

er, ive restarted the server, and well I'm still getting this:
Screenshot_20.png

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Had a look around in the editor, the outer part is not textured like a ship,but it looks like one. I really want to use that object.

I tried to draw what the outside of the ship would look like and honestly, that one struck me more as a freighter than a warship. I went ahead and drew up what seemed to me to be more along those lines. I'll upload them later and perhaps add another or two.

stefygraff

Private Tester
Volt, as soon as i get on the pc ill send you some pics with how the ship looks like, i guess no devs have a problem if im using it, all the art credit will still be theirs

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I have FELT plus another tool so I know what it looks like. Or do you mean that you'll send me a pic of what you envision?

stefygraff

Private Tester
Okay, I have been working on a new version for Moon Colony.

-Added other center objects;
-The beacons are placed the right way;
-Sky/fog modified.

Future updates:
-Texture fix (no square-like shaped texture that looks bad)
-New sky
-Smoothing terrain.

Im must point out that the current version of the map has lots of un-smooth hills(i need your help in deciding what to modify- classic screen shot helper ).

Download "Colony Moon" update here!
(changed the main link too!) Now, hit me with feedback!

stefygraff

Private Tester
NEWBASE-2.jpg

build a new base structure for this map, haven't finished some details and some hills are really bad, but i will shot this version of the map very soon

57thEnryu

Okay, I have been working on a new version for Moon Colony.

-Added other center objects;
-The beacons are placed the right way;
-Sky/fog modified.

Future updates:
-Texture fix (no square-like shaped texture that looks bad)
-New sky
-Smoothing terrain.

Im must point out that the current version of the map has lots of un-smooth hills(i need your help in deciding what to modify- classic screen shot helper ).

Download "Colony Moon" update here!
(changed the main link too!) Now, hit me with feedback!
er, did I get this update on my server....I don't remember.....think I did

stefygraff

Private Tester
New update on the Moon Colony. I've changed the map completely due the fact that i didn't like it at all, its improved now, terrain will be less hilly in the feature but it gives a nice feeling(hard to cap-but im sure you guys will find cap routes)

New base is made with Torque Constructor, some of you might not like it, but its here to stay.

Installing
This map has new objects located in the "newobjects" folder. You need to copy/paste or extract these folders to the specific place:
For "missions" folder: Public-test/legions/data/missions
For "newobjects" folder: Public-test/legions/data/interiors

Download link here (screenshots posted on the main thread post) Feel free to ask any questions or give any kind of feedback! And have a nice day! :) :p