Legions Weekend - Trying to Attract Players from T:A

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Tried it and it seems like the effect of the combo explosion on the flag has been toned down quite a bit. Not sure if it's still a valid tactic.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
Tried it and it seems like the effect of the combo explosion on the flag has been toned down quite a bit. Not sure if it's still a valid tactic.
Yeah, I believe that the impulse that comboing did to the flag has been nerfed. Many people made hotkeys that threw the flag and then instantly comboed it to massively boost the flag. It was pretty OP at the time.

Yeah, I believe that the impulse that comboing did to the flag has been nerfed. Many people made hotkeys that threw the flag and then instantly comboed it to massively boost the flag. It was pretty OP at the time.

I remember this now. The problem was, it was too easy to do. In T:A, flag punting allows for an effectively nerfed max flag toss range in exchange for a skillful way (it's actually pretty hard and even good players fail at flag punting a lot) to give it extra distance. I think it'd be cool to see what this would do to Legions, though throwing to base isn't as big of a problem now that defense has a counter to it, being boost combos to get to the flag before the defense.

TriggerFinger

I'm probably going to make another video and put it out 2 weeks after the last one (Aug 9th).

[...]

-Some of the intricacies of skiing like when/when not to strafe and carving

If you do this, could you also touch on the basic paradigm shift between T:A jet/skiing and Legions jet/skiing? That is, in T:A (and all the Tribes games for that matter), your jet is primarily an up jet, which can be modified in any one of four directions. In Legions, the impression I'm getting is that your jet is basically a skiing device, which can be modified with any one of six directions (up and down included.) Although, if I'm not mistaken, up and down jetting get a lot more power than lateral jetting. Does make for certain optimal skiing behaviors which are non-intuitive for a T:A player? I.e. does holding the ski button and one of the directional buttons in the air have more effect than in T:A? What about feathering?

Air control in Legions also seems to be rather different. Coming from T:A, the best way I can put it is that left/right jetless air control in Legions is equivalent to back+left/right in T:A. I'm not quite sure how forward jetless works in Legions.

Another thing I'd find interesting would be an exploration of how Legion's different physics affect the paths you take. In T:A, routes generally consisted of going ridiculously high, then landing on various hills that acted as ramps to the flag. In Legions, I'm getting the feeling that it's different.

Of course, I'm coming from T:A most recently (although T2 Classic before that), so I might just be misunderstanding things.

Last edited:
I'll see what I can do to break down the skiing for people better.

Another thing I'd find interesting would be an exploration of how Legion's different physics affect the paths you take. In T:A, routes generally consisted of going ridiculously high, then landing on various hills that acted as ramps to the flag. In Legions, I'm getting the feeling that it's different.

I think that's even more prevalent in Legions, honestly. One high arc and some downjet will give you the a lot of speed,. You could stay lower in T:A while gaining similar speeds.

Fixious

Test Lead
I'm probably going to make another video and put it out 2 weeks after the last one (Aug 9th). I think having some sort of Legions content come up on the Tribes sub every 1-3 weeks would be great for growing the community. Too much more and I think they might get a little mad..

Is this still planned?

I'm promoting the game right now on some Quake forums esreality.com. Thread has to be approved by an admin first, though.

ContingencyPl4n

Elite Pro Mapmaker
I have all day sunday that I can tweak some maps, Sleepwalker wont take long, I already have an idea, and after that, idunno:( I still have 'new mirage' which was given approval by a few people as being fun, yet challenging for cappers.

its really up to you guys on what should be hit next.

Vox

I have all day sunday that I can tweak some maps, Sleepwalker wont take long, I already have an idea, and after that, idunno:( I still have 'new mirage' which was given approval by a few people as being fun, yet challenging for cappers.

its really up to you guys on what should be hit next.
I've noticed Stygian and Moonshine both popping up as maps a little more often, maybe tweak one of those then the other next?

Here's the ESReality thread. I have no idea how it'll be perceived. http://www.esreality.com/post/2462579/legions-free-quake-like-tribes-game/

Sleepwalker is definitely top priority to what "could be good". Tone down the fog please! Make the sides more even.
Next, maybe Gorge and it's awful middle/slightly too rough terrain.
Stygian I like somewhat... not sure what to change about it. Maybe smoother and shorter hills so people could actually run routes.
Fallout needs a different stand that's not hanging off the ground like it is. Maybe bump up the terrain under the base.
Mirage also needs a new stand and surrounding buildings.
Moonshine's mid section needs to be redone.
It'd be fun to see Nivo with more hills surrounding the mid section. Maybe actually make a new map with Moonshine's surrounding hills and Nivo's mid.
On Throughout the Night should be low priority, but if you decide to change that I think the hills are a little too steep. Not necessarily too high, but steep.

Reactions: Vox