Legions release campaign: MJ needs your help!

MJ1284

There's actually two things that I've planned for Legions: Overdrive. And I need your help to pull them off.

1. First of all, I was planning on trailer video (big surprise) and I wanted to use Legions -logo on it.. the problem is, most of them have "Fallen Empire: Legions" or "Instantaction.com" (neither of them technically exists anymore) so I need someone to make me a kickass logo. You can either PM me or post your productions in this topic (I'll gladly hear out what other people like of each picture), either way you'll be a big help.

2. So what's the second thing I have in mind? Game review. Yes, I'm serious on this one :p
I actually have a reviewer in mind, sadly he doesn't have previous Legions gameplay experience so I'll need couple american (or those who are close to America's timezone) volunteers to act as his mentors. This person lives in America and I live in Europe, 8 hour jetlag makes it pretty much impossible for me to train him.
I haven't talked with him yet and it's unclear wheter Legions will catch his interest but I'm more than happy to collect a list of voluntary community members who are willing to act as mentors.

JOIN NOW, MJ WANTS YOU!

uncle-sam.jpg

After discussing about this project on #legions with various community members, regular members and Mabel, I've concluded that it would be better to wait until devs release the official trailer first. Therefore, I won't start working the actual trailer before January/February (depending on when devs release trailer AND when Legions: Overdrive is running steadily and majority of bugs are fixed).

EDIT: I made some progress. After digging around my old clips I threw together a video to give you a rough idea what I had planned. WORK IN PROGRESS, finalized video will look better than this... I think. I will be posting couple of these and ask everybody's opinion on what's their favourite, this way I'll get a general idea what people want to see.

Keep in mind that these are mere layouts, actual trailer will have different footage.
Also DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!

This is my first concept shitty video that turned out skill montage instead of trailer:

And here's what I've gathered from your comments so far.

Pros:
- Few good ideas
- Syncing
- Fitting song (debatable)

Cons:
- Clips aren't well suited for trailer/feels more like skill montage than trailer *
- Needs more variety in terms of weapon & map display
- HORRENDOUS TEXT FONTS
- Too long for a trailer

* Old clips, I can't just snap my fingers and turn them into trailer material (wish I could).

What I'd change/improve in future version:
- Make it 1:40 - 2:00 long (with audio fade out near end)
- NEW CLIPS (soon as I CAN record new stuff), might use some stuff from Chronicles of Zeta
- Replace texts with some smexy art/change text font and put some animations on them
- Will try to add variety in maps and weapons
- Use more "casual" gameplay footage (not just MA hits, regular kills and regular movement)
- Use only a handful of MA clips with spiffy effects (keynotes at 0:58, 1:12 & 1:26), just to give the video some "highlights"

Hold your breath ladies and gentlemen (well, gentlemen mostly), here's the 2nd concept:

This one is widely different from what I've used to, let me know what you think.

And here's 3rd concept. IMO this turned out better than I expected, some minor flaws here and there but overall I'm happy with it:

4th concept is on hold done, hope you guys like it:

EDIT: Renamed videos to distinguish them more easily.

GReaper

Grumpy
1. First of all, I was planning on trailer video (big surprise) and I wanted to use Legions -logo on it.. the problem is, most of them have "Fallen Empire: Legions" or "Instantaction.com" (neither of them technically exists anymore) so I need someone to make me a kickass logo. You can either PM me or post your productions in this topic (I'll gladly hear out what other people like of each picture), either way you'll be a big help.

I think part of this is up to us (the developers, design team), to generate some logos for usage on other sites and in other materials. At the moment all we've got available is just designed for our own site, which isn't really ideal if someone needs to grab a logo to put an article about Legions on their site.

I'll see if we can do something about it.

Darklord

Private Tester
This sounds like something to talk to bugs about, doing this in an unofficial capacity and without any source material sounds like a bad idea.

Novaz

Where in the US does he live? I'm not all that good at the game, but I'd be more than happy to help out :).

MJ1284

Hmm, you're probably right Darklord. I would like to specify that:

A) I can record the footage myself (after Legions gets released, of course), so video itself shouldn't be too troublesome.
B) The reviewer I had in mind is more of a freelancer, NOT A HIRED JOURNALIST (ie. no staff from GameSpot or any such). He's doing reviews on YouTube on irregular basis (he doesn't get paid for reviews) and for his own leisure. I just realized I should have mentioned this earlier, I didn't think that gaming magazine journalists would pop up to someone's mind when I mentioned game review, my bad.

I didn't intend to launch a full-scale marketing campaign or anything such, I ment a small trailer to celebrate Legions relaunch and a minor game review to boost Legions: Overdrive's notoriety, that's all.
It's not like I'm running for president or anything....

GReaper: Thank you for replying, I don't mean to rush anybody here (and I'll work with any material I'm given) so you can focus on getting Legions up and running. While this campaign thingie is merely a hobby for me I do realize that devs are working hard for game's launch, it would be unfair to demand them to do additional work (and in return people would get mad at me for delaying the release).

In short: If you have the time and resources, good, if not, that's totally fine. I have confidence in community's siggy artists/photoshoppers :)

Xtreme: I appreciate your offer to make unofficial review, would be nice to see how you fare.

ContingencyPl4n

Elite Pro Mapmaker
Damn you mj, I wanted to make a trailer for legions, hence me asking you via pm of that stuff :(

Oh well, ill help out where I can

Snow

I'm ready to help in graphics and official review (by me). I used to play regularly. Also, I would suggest whoever is willing to help or even do a trailer (such as Contingency Plan above), let em do it. If someone is willing to do a service for you, don't deny it. :)

MJ1284

Damn you mj, I wanted to make a trailer for legions, hence me asking you via pm of that stuff :(
Oh well, ill help out where I can

But I thought that idea got scrapped? I still got some stuff stashed on Dropbox so feel free to contact me if you want to give it a try.. again.

I'll welcome each and every volunteer, but will it be a good idea to flood the internet with reviews & trailers (you know, quality > quantity)? I'm not saying that any of you are bad reviewers or videomakers, but I haven't seen your previous work so I'm little doubtful (hope I didn't offend anyone). Plus, I really want to try out my new video editing software and the clip will be around 1:20 so I can probably do that by myself :p
I mean sure, 30 trailers and 50 reviews are bound to get SOME potential legionnaires, but I think 3 trailers and 5 reviews that are well-made/look professional-ish are lot more attractive than "THIS IS TEH BEST GAME EVUH!" type of overviews.

But let's not go nuts yet, I'd prefer if we'd wait until devs come up with usable logos and until Legions comes back... believe it or not, I'm tad tired of watching Legions videos that are composed entirely of my footage :D

ContingencyPl4n

Elite Pro Mapmaker
Well I asked 2 people and the second thought it wasnt a good idea, so I said what ever... but it seems that people wanna do this. I've got 2 terabytes just sitting empty. If I could get a lot of footage, even if its youtube videos, I can use it.

Also MJ, I could throw together a few trailers with music to give you some ideas,(or we could just use mine :p)

MJ1284

Well I asked 2 people and the second thought it wasnt a good idea, so I said what ever... but it seems that people wanna do this. I've got 2 terabytes just sitting empty. If I could get a lot of footage, even if its youtube videos, I can use it.

Also MJ, I could throw together a few trailers with music to give you some ideas,(or we could just use mine :p)

Sounds interesting, I'll gladly have other people work as beta-viewers :)
Even better if you could hand out ideas and suggestions.

Oh and Snow, thanks for the link! While I have picked out a song I'd wanna use that site seems real nice (I'm a sucker for 8-bit Nintendo sounds) and I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Disci

Old man
Let the team make an official movie or get a permission from them to make one. All the rest "promotional" movies are unofficial movies. Keep that in mind when making these things.

MJ1284

Let the team make an official movie or get a permission from them to make one. All the rest "promotional" movies are unofficial movies. Keep that in mind when making these things.

Good point. I just wish the official trailer doesn't turn out to be same kind of mess as the Lamb of God trailer did (just saying that heavy music doesn't fit Legions).
Then again I never planned on making OFFICIAL trailer, too much pressure if you ask me.

MJ1284

Updated the OP, check the new video. Feedback is, as always, much appreciated. I just spent hours on this dang video and it's 5 AM at the time of posting so there might be some idiotic grammar errors or poorly synced scenes, ignore them.

Frost

The Trailer concept 1 has a decent basic idea but imo it's too much of a skill montage. The showing of the maps was a decent idea but most of the video was focused on MA's and Flag catches/chases. Putting in 1 or 2 MA's and one or 2 catches would be decent, but I think if it's a trailer for legions it should be more diverse and cover more maps and focus on that instead of skill level. I also think it's a bit too long.
Overall it's good, and I think the music works but I think it needs to focus more on "this is what anyone can do when they start playing" in comparison to "this is what you can do after months of practice"

Just my thoughts, keep up the good work.