Jump Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homingun

So here it goes,

I think the jump pads could be an interesting addition to the game. But the way I see them used right now (as in Gorge), they seem almost like a crutch for building good skiable terrain down the middle. I crater all over the place when I try to chase without using the jump pads in Gorge. I don't know if this was on purpose, or the map just wasn't refined enough.

Another annoying thing I find about jumps pads is that I get jumped in the direction I am moving. Though this might seem logical, it is really annoying when I jump in a different direction than I wanted because I was moving slightly sideways. Many times, I have run into towers. I think it would be improvement to have them jump in the direction that one is looking than the direction that one is moving.

This is based on my experiences, what do you guys think?

A2

Well, I have nothing against the jump pads. I feel fine with it, using it only for chases and it works pretty well. Again, that's just me.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
I think it comes down to an issue of purpose, Hom. In the case of the Gorge pads, they're designed specifically for chasers, and since cappers can come in from all sorts of angles, the ability to go in any direction is rather important. I, for one, never use the pads when I'm headed down the middle, as the ramps down the side of the dam face serve quite well to get you boosts up the center line.

As for switching from a "boost direction of travel" to a "boost facing direction" paradigm, I think that might be a balance situation. The ability to INCREDIBLY rapidly change your movement direction, irregardless of what speed you're going, seems like it could be incredibly overpowered. As it currently stands, there needs to be some element of planning going into the use of the pads.

Like I said in the beginning, though, it all comes down to purpose. If there was a map that had bases that were, for some reason, difficult to reach or otherwise separated from viable routes, incorporating more Quake-like jumppads that send you in a particular direction at a particular speed could make a lot of sense. It all comes down to the map, and what roles you want the pads to fill.

Homingun

I think it comes down to an issue of purpose, Hom. In the case of the Gorge pads, they're designed specifically for chasers, and since cappers can come in from all sorts of angles, the ability to go in any direction is rather important. I, for one, never use the pads when I'm headed down the middle, as the ramps down the side of the dam face serve quite well to get you boosts up the center line.

As for switching from a "boost direction of travel" to a "boost facing direction" paradigm, I think that might be a balance situation. The ability to INCREDIBLY rapidly change your movement direction, irregardless of what speed you're going, seems like it could be incredibly overpowered. As it currently stands, there needs to be some element of planning going into the use of the pads.

Like I said in the beginning, though, it all comes down to purpose. If there was a map that had bases that were, for some reason, difficult to reach or otherwise separated from viable routes, incorporating more Quake-like jumppads that send you in a particular direction at a particular speed could make a lot of sense. It all comes down to the map, and what roles you want the pads to fill.

I have been chasing since L:O was back and I find that I rarely ever chase in any direction except out front in Gorge. I would think this has a bit to do with the fact that the bases are located at the opposite corners of a square map. I don't remember exactly which side it is but one of the sides also has a ramp face that leads into a wedge in the terrain which gives fall damage. The other side isn't that much better, but it is better than nothing. If there was a good bowl that the dam face leads into, I would rarely use the jump pads.

sugardemon

If you switch to using player aimed jump pads, how about extra health drain if its a radical direction shift? Should offset any silliness and make the pads a little easier to use.

Oh, and I find Gorge to be a bit one-sided when it comes to skiing down the middle. From one side I like my imposing golden fat suit, and on the other its more like I'm driving a yellow shortbus with jets.

Darklord

Private Tester
Apparently you haven't seen Homingun in-game. He can ski and pick routes for chasing/capping and almost always get his kill :D

Spartan is quite possibly the best chaser in the game right now. Maybe not at preventing the grab, but certainly at chasing and returning. I haven't seen quite enough to judge accurately, but he is very easily in the top 3-5.

moronval

Private Tester
I think it would be improvement to have them jump in the direction that one is looking than the direction that one is moving.

Especially this, I've thought about this since the day Gorge came out and my opinion's still that I wish it would shoot me in the direction I'm facing.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Well placed slopes would make the jumppads unnecessary and prevent all these discussions.

Yes, but the benefit of jumppads is that we can make them team-specific, thus catering them to certain roles (like chasing, for instance). Slopes work for everybody!

RiPTaCk

True but can these jumppads be used on any other maps that don't have such a terrain design like gorge? I think that these jumppads would only work on gorge because imo they were specifically designed for gorge. I can't think of any other terrain design that would favor these jumppads without being imbalanced.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
True but can these jumppads be used on any other maps that don't have such a terrain design like gorge? I think that these jumppads would only work on gorge because imo they were specifically designed for gorge. I can't think of any other terrain design that would favor these jumppads without being imbalanced.

Very true, hence, only Gorge has jumppads at the moment. If we were ever to introduce jumppads on other maps, they would almost assuredly be new maps, and would definitely be designed to incorporate them properly. The chances of us putting jumppads on classic maps is pretty much nil. =)

Chi-Ro

Private Tester
I crater all over the place when I try to chase without using the jump pads in Gorge. I don't know if this was on purpose, or the map just wasn't refined enough.

Gorge's hills are probably some of worst in the game imo (just behind nivo). They're sharp, and most of the time you have to work just to get them to send you the right way. This was why a lot of cappers and chasers really didn't like the map at all when it came out.

Whatever happened to hills like in Zenith and Blade Run that don't actually give you fall damage every other ramp you go up?

stefygraff

Private Tester
Its not that we can't place the pad's on any map.. its just stupid to do that, don't be lazy! Slope a hill !
Some maps work with pads, others don't... Gorge is a success.

Disci

Old man
Gorge's hills are probably some of worst in the game imo (just behind nivo). They're sharp, and most of the time you have to work just to get them to send you the right way. This was why a lot of cappers and chasers really didn't like the map at all when it came out.

Whatever happened to hills like in Zenith and Blade Run that don't actually give you fall damage every other ramp you go up?

What happend to skiing skills?

Gheist

King of all Goblins
You don't have to be able to ski every *dancing* hill without damage. Skiing requires some thinking, not just pressing "W" and "RMB". You can traverse Gorge prefectly fine, without damage, if you just plan ahead a bit, and work with the terrain. If you try to force your way through the hills, well, your fault.

Chi-Ro

Private Tester
I believe you both missed the point.

The point isn't if someone whose been playing the game since it came out can ski them, obviously I can. The point is quality wise the map is much worse than others. It's not a problem for old players skiing a map like this but what happens when Legions starts to advertise, new people come, and they find themselves half health before they even get to the other side of the map? Who's going to want to play like that? It's unnecessary. Instead of making a hard game harder (be that by a small amount or large) why not actually make good hills?

Elitist attitudes, and large skill curves are what drive most of the new people from this game. Don't make a bad thing worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.