Is Tribes Ascend Worth It?

Xtreme

shaska's bff
worth what? the insurmountable amount of fun you'll experience in playing it? the waves of rage resulting from stacked teams? the inclination to smash your keyboard because of base raping coupled with hitscan abuse? all of the above?

how_about_no_evil.jpg

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
Don't pay for it, it isn't worth it. Though if you get a free beta key and wanna install the gigantic file, go for it.

skypredator

You absolutely suck. T:A has plenty of potential, and the developers seem to be listening.

I'm sorry I have a different opion than you. On another note, that's what the developers of CoD4, MW2, Black Ops. Combat Arms, and Project Blackout said. Sure, the eye candy in T: A is lovely, and it is definitely fun, but you see, "free-to-play" usually means a points/loadouts system that you just want to beat with a spork and burn it up with a blowtorch. I'm grateful that they've made these plans to "fix" it, but I'm very unsure of it.

Yes, MMOF(T)PS. :)

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
[...] Sure, the eye candy in T: A is lovely, and it is definitely fun, but you see, "free-to-play" usually means a points/loadouts system that you just want to beat with a spork and burn it up ith a bowtorch. I'm grateful that they've made these plans to "fix" it, but I'm very unsure of it.

Yeah, that has been a big issue, but personally - they are also increasing the amount of players the game gets, which can be nothing but good right?

My Take: I just got a free beta key card (thansk heartsong)
I'm in middle of download, and my whole computer lags. I just entered three pugs. two of which the team I captaiend won ^_^ but i laggeg miserably my whole comp lags. If this is download.... do I really want to find out how the finished file would affect me ?

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I have a bizarre love/hate relationship with the game. On the one hand, I love the game. On the other hand, I hate the dev/community interaction. The community is horribly disrespectful and the devs don't listen. Bad combination that will cause itself to continue unfortunately and will negatively impact the development of the game. It's like feeding lead to a baby, really. Yes, it will still grow and develop, but it will be retarded and won't accomplish much in life. It's a sad thing to watch in either case, though obviously it would be worse in the case of the baby, I'm not inhuman.

You get the point though. IMHO, it'll get the short stick like legions did. Legions got the shaft from IA numerous issues. TA'll get it from the devs and community not working well together unless they can fix it.

Fixious

Test Lead
Said it before, I'll say it again only shorter. As a game it's fun, as a Tribes game it isn't. Skiing is sorta fun, only as Pathfinder though. PUBs are getting slightly better it seems, or at least people are catching on to certain things. I'm still waiting for private servers though, along with a slew of fixes regarding energy consumption and movement in general(cough*discjumps*cough). The lack of mod support will kill the game prematurely.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
I tried it out for a couple of days. I don't really like it all that much - Legions is much more fluid IMO. Tribes just feels clunky (especially because I'm limited to Ranger/Soldier).

skypredator

Appli, not gonna lie, CoD4 and MW2 were complete and utter failures. They just suck. It was the loadouts and killstreaks that killed 'em, along with the weak community >< Developer team relationships; otherwise, they were fine. I'm glad there's a game like Legions with balanced classes and PuB's/PuG's. Z-stlye shooters tend to be more fluid with the vast range of gamers out there (imo).

Fire, I guess you're right on that, but as Volt stated, there's a weak bond between the community and devs in T:A, which could lead to a potential meltdown. Hopefully T:A will get private servers and the community will just make their own mods to suit their needs/wants.

Those discjumps. Fuuuu.

FTP = restrictionsrestrictionsrestrictions. I can't complain about T:A too much though, it's a fairly decent game IMO. I just hate not having much of a choice in what I do. Does anyone know if we'll get more of a reliable loadout system, like a test driver thinger? I picked out a class to be one of my defaults and I absolutely hated it.