General Hardware Shenanigans Thread

Sean455

Seriously you don't know what a SLI card is? GTC 480 SLI card, oh and about the build..I've already bought my processor and motherboard.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Seriously you don't know what a SLI card is? GTC 480 SLI card, oh and about the build..I've already bought my processor and motherboard.

Didn't you know that mid to high end nVidia cards come with SLI? Either way, crossfire is better.

Yep it's a stock 3.4Ghz,I've taken Intel i5 to 4.7Ghz on stock cooling,for o.c it to over 5Ghz you need a water cooling maybe a H60 or H70

4.7 on stock cooling? Did you run the i5 at full load, because I'm pretty sure the stock cooling can't deal with that at reasonable temps. You'd be seeing the 70 at least. I know the stock cooler is good and I run my i5 at 3.5 with some decent arctic thermal paste (not the stock thermal). Idle temps can be as low as 33, and load temps are relatively low. I've done some HD video rendering and the temps never got higher than 56.

Sean455

Exterior temp also matters,since I use a Nzxt phantom case I have a cool interior.I didn't actually hit 70..It was around 60-65.I ran Need for speed most wanted for like an hour.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Exterior temp also matters,since I use a Nzxt phantom case I have a cool interior View attachment 2168

Man, next time link to a picture that is in better resolution. As a matter of fact, my case temp is 33 too, mainly because I run with the case open :D

Exterior temp also matters,since I use a Nzxt phantom case I have a cool interior.I didn't actually hit 70..It was around 60-65.I ran Need for speed most wanted for like an hour.

That's not heavy load on the CPU :/ Heavy load is video rendering and CPU heavy programs, i.e. photoshop.

Sean455

Man, next time link to a picture that is in better resolution. As a matter of fact, my case temp is 33 too, mainly because I run with the case open :D

That's not heavy load on the CPU :/ Heavy load is video rendering and CPU heavy programs, i.e. photoshop.
Photoshop seriously ? I'd give it a shot on my i7 2600k once I've finish the build.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
You dumb *dance*, it's not an SLI Card, you SLI two or more GPUs, it's a method of utilizing all of them. Go learn your facts before you preach them.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Don't start getting nasty to each other nerdbombers. Also changed thread title as per OP's request.

nerd_fight.jpg

Sean455

You dumb *dance*, it's not an SLI Card, you SLI two or more GPUs, it's a method of utilizing all of them. Go learn your facts before you preach them.
LOL,That card has the specs of 2 cards that's why it's got a SLI name to it? Why spend for 2 cards when you get the same thing on 1 card,then again not all motherboards come with 2x Pci-e card slots.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
LOL,That card has the specs of 2 cards that's why it's got a SLI name to it? Why spend for 2 cards when you get the same thing on 1 card,then again not all motherboards come with 2x Pci-e card slots.
Rofl.
"Scalable Link Interface (SLI) is a brand name for a multi-GPU solution developed by NVIDIA for linking two or more video cards together to produce a single output. SLI is an application of parallel processingfor computer graphics, meant to increase the processing power available for graphics."
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Link_Interface
Facedesk.

EDIT: So I take it, from what you have said you are going with the GTX 590?

Propkid

It has an SLI name to it because you can plug it in together with another card that has SLI...

Sean455

It has an SLI name to it because you can plug it in together with another card that has SLI...
Damn I had a blonde moment,sorry.
Rofl.
"Scalable Link Interface (SLI) is a brand name for a multi-GPU solution developed by NVIDIA for linking two or more video cards together to produce a single output. SLI is an application of parallel processingfor computer graphics, meant to increase the processing power available for graphics."
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Link_Interface
Facedesk.

EDIT: So I take it, from what you have said you are going with the GTX 590?

Gtx 590 nope,Gtx 480 yeah..Later on switch to ASUS Mars II 3 GB Dual GTX 580.