General Hardware Shenanigans Thread

I

IzRaPiDz

Lol, woke up this morning to go turn my computer on and it makes beeping noise that lasts about 2 seconds then stops then starts again and will not start up. Does anyone know what the problem is here? Thanks!

Defender

I would blow the case out with air, make sure the cpu and video fans are working..
My computer has been giving me boot problems lately.. I'm in a cool climate, so I started just leaving it on all the time, problem solved for now.:cool:

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
Lol, woke up this morning to go turn my computer on and it makes beeping noise that lasts about 2 seconds then stops then starts again and will not start up. Does anyone know what the problem is here? Thanks!
Those beeps mean something, happened with my old desktop... Can't remember what they mean though, hit up Google with the number of beeps & problem.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
Those beeps mean something, happened with my old desktop... Can't remember what they mean though, hit up Google with the number of beeps & problem.
You have to look up a document with matches the lights/beeps to what they mean. By lights I am talking about the 4 lights that can sometimes be found at the back of the computer.

Propkid

In older PCs you could hear a single 'beep' when you started them up. It's a chip on mobo that checks all hardware before the PC starts up. It also prevents the system from starting up if something is wrong. Check:
If your RAM is inserted correctly
If something isn't misplaced in the case/ there is no dust to cause a short circuit (nothing in the interior should be touching walls of the case besides the screws)
If there is no floppy disc in the PC (yeah, that one got me once. took 2 days to figure out ^^'')
If there's nothing plugged in that could stop the PC from starting up (sometimes things mess up the startup if they break)

Dabb is right, the beeps have their own meaning.

I

IzRaPiDz

Cheers guys for the help. Been at school so i aint been able to have a look at it. Personally, i think it may be a ram problem. Might be buying my friends computer off him for spares and repairs because i have about 5 decent computers in the house. Lolol

DKnight556

It sounds like the POST is finding something wrong. Try making sure everything is full put into their correct sockets and see if something has failed.

I

IzRaPiDz

Took computer apart and put it back together, started it up and the beeping noise was going. It goes onto the loading screen but then freezes and doesn't do anything else.... Hmm how strange....

I

IzRaPiDz

I'll be getting a new computer tommorow i think so it'l be good. Really appreciate all the help you have given me guys, thankyou

I

IzRaPiDz

...I hope it's worth the money.
Getting it given mate :p and fixed my computer, it was my ram. One more question. I'm on my new computer now would i be able to buy a new Pci graphics card and speed up my gaming experience or do i need a new processor?

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
Getting it given mate :p and fixed my computer, it was my ram. One more question. I'm on my new computer now would i be able to buy a new Pci graphics card and speed up my gaming experience or do i need a new processor?

depends on the specs.

I

IzRaPiDz

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/11/2012, 14:53:16
Machine name: STUBBSY-PC
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Basic (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.101014-0432)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Compaq Presario 061
System Model: EL495AA-ABU SR1609UK GB540
BIOS: Phoenix - Award BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3000+, ~1.8GHz
Memory: 1214MB RAM
Page File: 970MB used, 1725MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode