Community Map Day?

Fixious

Test Lead
I think if there was a way to make it easier for users to find out the required information (map download location, install instructions) on the server browser screen (ala more descriptive server window) this would help alleviate the issue of players not finding the required information.

Personally, I'd love to see some sort of community run site that would host user made maps (think the old Tribes2maps site). As for security issues, I like to think we'll be able to figure out who are douchebags uploading trojans, and we shouldn't be uploading .exe for map files anyway. Perhaps there could be some sort of 'verification' process before a map is uploaded to the site.

T1 had what you just described. It was a MOTD button that flashed when there was a new 'Message of the Day', clicking it opened a little window displaying whatever. This would be quite nice, and would give some actual use to all the empty space that's currently on the server browser.

I don't think the community is really big enough to warrant an entirely different site for community-made maps. It would just make things harder for them. The custom maps section on the forums is a nice place to find everything. Having an official page on lo.com that lists them (or at least links to the forum thread) could also work. Hell imagine adding a rating system on the page as well.

Vox

I also think there should be a server(s) strictly for custom maps that have been finished and requested to be added onto the server.

Jello

Contributor
Whatever happened to this? I was gonna make a thread that we should have a server that has ALL the community maps that were made but I guess this thread really does it but yea will this happen? And can it be added to the launcher like regular updates? and when we finish playing on them can we vote on which maps we think should be added, seeing as how many maps me and def and others have made in the past....most of em(mine) crap but this is up to the devs.

Last edited:

Fixious

Test Lead
Not entirely sure how we'd do it. It was previously stated that the devs couldn't distribute maps/content through the patcher that they didn't already own. For this to work, the maps wouldn't be allowed to have any custom terrains or objects, unless made by the map maker himself and gave the devs permission to redistribute it. I'm all for the idea, but map makers need to re-tool their maps to meet the requirements. Getting them onto the patcher is the tricky part.

Fixious

Test Lead
For this to work, the maps wouldn't be allowed to have any custom terrains or objects, unless made by the map maker himself and gave the devs permission to redistribute it.

Jello

Contributor
Well then, looks like I gotta actually read next time
If it helps, I can setup a small base server that will only have your custom maps on it..

Well devs?

Next trick is getting players to install them...

that indeed will be difficult, but we'd have to gather all the previous maps that were made by the current players and put them into a section for instance:

Defender's Maps-....
Hi's Maps.....
OBLIVION's Maps.....
Stefygraff's Maps.....
etc
but this shouldn't have to be the case, you can just put everything together in one folder and label it Community Maps and all of them will be in there, that's gonna be one massive file though....

Fixious

Test Lead
They won't. Half the current players don't even visit the forums or read the blog. The best thing to do would be to get it on the patcher.

k e v i n

Private Tester
what fixi says is true, a lot of players don't use the forums, read the blog, update (until told in game), even play when they're in game. *some* people don't even know how to get to the forums, believe it or not.

but he's right, the best thing to do would be to get it on the patcher. people don't like manually downloading things.

Defender

They mite download if they connected to a server that has players, and there was a game loading screen, that gave them a direct click-able link to the map download, or information on where to download.. TGE, has code for auto-download of files from server to client, sure wish we had it in legions.

Last edited:

Defender

I am offering to run none official server, meaning you can have custom assets in your map, made or not made by you, or without permission to use if you like, I could care less.;)
You can have sexy nude posters on the inside walls of your map structures if you want, vary easy to do, in constructor, I will help you add them, if you want..

Last edited:

Jello

Contributor
Can we please do this so we have more maps to play for PUGs since we have quite a few players for Saturday nights? All we play is Frostbyte, Zenith, Qualm, Wintermelt, when we have good maps. For instance we have good TDM maps such as

Legions%202013-06-15%2018-32-24-07_1280x1024.jpg

And a Frostbyte map since people are always complaining about the back hill

Legions%202012-09-13%2016-06-15-62_1024x819.jpg

Instead of playing Zenith, Frost, Wintermelt over and over you have other maps to play.

http://www.tribalcombat.com/Maps/

Just once a week is fine or even during a PUG, we have great maps in this Custom Maps section too but no one wants to freaking download them...Have 1 server where all/most of the maps in the "Custom Maps" section are placed and everyone would have to update their launcher to play, yea some of them are not all legions structures/terrain/objects, etc but 75% of them are.

Last edited: