Community Map Day?

Fixious

Test Lead
With new maps being created at a fairly fast rate by a number of community members, it's unfortunate that none are getting a signifgant amount of players on them. Sure people can host a server with them, but they never get the 15-20+ players like the main server(s) do.

So, how 'bout a day where servers only rotate community maps? Or we vote on a community map (or two) that'll be added to that day's normal rotation.

Fixious

Test Lead
NDA? How would that affect putting community-made maps onto server rotations? Defender has already put several of his maps up on his own server to play, but no one really visits it. Obviously unfinished maps shouldn't be added, or even really even available to download publicly (pics are fine).

3lionz

Legions Developer
Sure. But what will it be? Once a month/week?
I would actually love some variety.
Personally, I think that community maps should be on there already, just with a very low probability of being picked.
On a "community" day, these chances are increased.

Just an idea.

Fixious

Test Lead
Dunno. Weekends likely have the highest amount of players, so perhaps every Friday or Saturday. Making it once a month with the current rate of activity seems a bit too slow.

stefygraff

Private Tester
What we need to to firstly, is make a auto-download script... at the current stage, i see very few people joining this "event". I did try in the past with Odysseus, we got 2-3 pugs, but the last one was a fail(not because we didn't have enough people, players in this game don't know how to copy-paste a *dancing* folder).

I really want to see what the devs are planning for Custom Maps on long term.

But lets say that it all works and we get everything set for the Community Map Day; what maps will we play? I have like 4 custom maps coming up! :)

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
I like the idea and think a once-a-month thing would be pretty cool. What would be even better is if someone would host their own server with all the (useable) community made maps on it and rotate some out if the list gets too big. Then from there people would have a clear representation of whether the maps are playable in pugs or not.

Voltage

Puzzlemaster
Imo, once a month is quite a long period of time between each of these community days, once every two weeks is much more reasonable.

Pure

Or just make an other sever or replace duels servers with one that has community maps and leave it for a few weeks or a month and then see the top 3 or whatever and add them to the main servers.

Fixious

Test Lead
Please explain how that comes into play when adding user maps to a server. User maps are currently available to play, as can be seen on Defender's and other servers. The TX server seems to be one of, if not the most popular server right now.

So, we vote on a map or two, and have whoever runs TX add them. I see no issue here. If there is, then it doesn't make any sense to allow people to host their own servers and maps.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I think it's some sort of copyright/ownership issue.

It might be possible to get around if it went on an official server but the game did not download the user maps required for it. I'm not an expert on it though.

GReaper

Grumpy
We can't distribute files we don't own through the patcher.

I personally wouldn't want to direct users to download 3rd party maps after the bullshit we've had to deal with because people ran untrusted code.

Fixious

Test Lead
Never said I wanted the launcher to automatically download the files, even though that'd be pretty nice. If we can't make them available via mediafire or minus(Jordan just jizzed) due to security reasons, then I guess this idea is impossible. Shame. If the security stuff doesn't get straightened out it effectively kills any community-made content, thus Legions.

stefygraff

Private Tester
You cant just add random things to 'live', and in the current stage, a lot of maps have textures that are not created by map makers. Dev team will not risck adding content that is not yours.
When it comes to security, links can be verified onlne for problems, eveb if the Custom Maps section is virus free for now:p
I personally like the idea, but we need to organize this, like i said: we need a lot of ded servers running these maps, at least 3-4.
Only after we have the server hosts ready, we should discuss about what maps to add to the rotation sistem.
Last, but not least, we need players! so a map pack for these servers would be useful.

Now... Who can host? :D

Fixious

Test Lead
The problem is that if it isn't on a well-known server (TX), people aren't likely going to join. How many players visit the forums on a regular basis and even know we're discussing this? Even a blog post wouldn't do much. I fear creating a brand new server would likely be pointless.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I think if there was a way to make it easier for users to find out the required information (map download location, install instructions) on the server browser screen (ala more descriptive server window) this would help alleviate the issue of players not finding the required information.

Personally, I'd love to see some sort of community run site that would host user made maps (think the old Tribes2maps site). As for security issues, I like to think we'll be able to figure out who are douchebags uploading trojans, and we shouldn't be uploading .exe for map files anyway. Perhaps there could be some sort of 'verification' process before a map is uploaded to the site.