Chaingun Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzykittenhead

I was browsing around skill videos (I'm amazed at how rusty I am after IA) and I noticed in the comments of this one that a "nub" couldn't understand why the chaingun wasn't overheating. Graydoubt replied:

You sound like a newbie. Your chaingun doesn't overheat if you go fast enough. The idea being that the wind speed cools down the gun. Less heat means tighter cone of fire. And you can see the heat meter go up in the video, too.

Is this a feature currently embedded in the game? If not will it be there in the future?

Also, how does I shoot a chaingun with accurate? No, really, any tips?

A2

Also, how does I shoot a chaingun with accurate? No, really, any tips? :)
Depends on your ping. Lower ping is pretty easy coz' you can just shoot head-on and adjust it here and there if needed.
For higher ping, you've gotta use your head and think ahead especially when their moving. Like, if the player is moving to the right, you've gotta shoot more to the right and all that. That's basically all I know :S

Siper

Private Tester
This feature has been in legions for a long time, so pretty much because you are traveling at high speeds your chaingun "cools off" faster, so if you are a chaser and you are traveling at high speeds you can just hold down chain on the capper with no spread.

Synista

Also, how does I shoot a chaingun with accurate? No, really, any tips?
Try to imitate your opponents movements. Say you're flying left and so's you opponent, which will be your right, you'll be flying away from eachother - you don't want that! Copy his movements so it's as if you're looking in a mirror, this will mean less moving the mouse and more accuracy. Also try being aggressive, get right in his face, but also be wary of getting MA'd. It's also easier to chain if you're just above or below your target.
Best thing to do is stay close.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
The feature is turned on, but you won't notice any really difference unless you're going over 100 at least. The chaingun won't heat up at all, making the weapon even more ideal for chasing. Must try this with plasma now, seeing as it heats up too.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
The feature is turned on, but you won't notice any really difference unless you're going over 100 at least. [...]
If my memory isn't playing tricks on me here, the cooldown effect starts at 80m/s (and increases from there on).

Synista

If my memory isn't playing tricks on me here, the cooldown effect starts at 80m/s (and increases from there on).
Also, to prevent overheat completely it is atleast 120m/s. The plasma doesn't heat up either when going that speed either.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Kk, 100 was a good guess then. Don't see the need for the cooldown on the plasma, it can hardly be used for chasing.

Abandoned

The easiest way to chain someone if you're chasing is to continuously shoot and look at your line of bullets. If you have high ping you can still do this. Going at a faster speed which menas more shooting time allows this to work.

It's best to move yourself into the same line that the opponent is in.

fuzzykittenhead

Great! Glad to know the cool down effect is still around, it's one of those small things that makes the game great.

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'll definitely have to do some practicing ;)

Mabeline

God-Tier
The feature is turned on, but you won't notice any really difference unless you're going over 100 at least. The chaingun won't heat up at all, making the weapon even more ideal for chasing. Must try this with plasma now, seeing as it heats up too.
You're completely wrong. Real pros move a bunch (downjetting off towers, whatever) to slow down overheat. The effect is super-noticeable and playing in sent is a nightmare because your chain overheats super-fast.

DOS4/GW

love it when sents help me by self inflicting wounds! Allows me to get on to more important targets faster :D

Except when the Sent ODs under you, swings around and nukes you before you can figure out what happened. ;)

But really...Sents are made to take damage, self-inflicted or otherwise. That's what they do. Playing careful just ain't the way to do it. The trick is taking damage on your terms, not your opponent's.

Status
Not open for further replies.