Central Slack Channel

Would you be interested?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

Emyrk

Would people be interested in having a central Slack channel? I have found a teamspeak for everyone, but I was wondering if people would be interested in something like slack to arrange things.

What is slack? It's basically and improved IRC chat that groups can utilize to manage their activities. If enough people use it we can even create bots to improve the experience like announce when enough people are online to a channel that people can join to send notifications to their phone or something similar.

Please post your opinions, I think it would be cool to bring people together in more ways, and slack can be integrated with many other applications. We can figure out a way to integrate it with teamspeak for example to use existing forms of communication.

Edit: Thanks for all the responses, and you guys are right. IRC is the way to go, thanks for the insight!

Last edited:

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
I use Slack for some other stuff I do but we already do have an IRC channel, if that's what you're after.
#legions on Quakenet, if you want to join.

Xzanth

Legions Developer
As far as I can see all the main benefits of slack are for a business/work collaboration standpoint. All the things you've specifically mentioned are easily done with just normal irc. Do you know there is already a bot for integration between the legions game servers and irc? (irc.quakenet.org/#Hotswap.1)
Plus the fact that with the current size of the community any attempt to switch technology without significant benefits would probably just result in fragmenting an already small amount of people.
Besides do you really want to challenge the monopoly of GReaperNet?

GReaper

Grumpy
I think this article explains why you shouldn't use Slack for public chat. It's an article aimed at open source projects which use Slack as a public tool, however the same arguments apply to anyone trying to use it as a public channel - it's not designed for it.

Something like Discord is probably more suitable/appropriate, as it seems to combine text chat and VoIP in a single app. However given that they currently don't have a business model (they're burning VC money), it's easier to stick with the reliable things we know and trust.