autobalance, free join, friendly fire (PUBs only)

Dimitryy

i would like to see the possibility to start a game with automatically balanced teams.
if there would be an information about each players preferred position and skilllevel, the autobalance could assign the player to team alpha or beta and the teams would be much more balanced.
PUBs would be fairer ....
(or maybe you can choose the position you would like to play before the game starts, so no info about the player)

also to turn off freejoin would be a nice option for self-hosted games (if its possible to host own games)

and what you think about an option for friendly fire?

i hope this topic is not there already (i searched for it) ... but didn't find it.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Friendly fire will always be activated. There's not a single good reason against FF.
[...] @Team damage: It's staying. There is probably going to be some sort of voting in the future to handle things like problem players [...]

What do you mean by "freejoin"? And no, user hosted games will not be possible in the near future.
FAQ said:
We are investigating ways to allow users to host their own games, but out of security and community unity concerns, for the near future players can only join official dedicated servers. [FAQ]

Regarding PUB balance:
[...] Pubs will probably not allow you to imbalance the teams by more than 1 person. A rebalance/shuffle vote is also trivial to add.
Forget about automation and skilllevels though.

Next time, search more thoroughly. ;)

Dimitryy

i didnt meant the near future with my post so maybe there will be some private hosted games ....

with freejoin i mean that players can enter the game after it started (if you have the option for 5on5 7on7 and 10on10 but you want play 8 on 8)

also, there is a reason for no ff: teamkillers
or in rabbit the damage was reduced for everyone who had no flag

and i guess a 5 vs 5 or so can be unbalanced too if the skill of the teams isnt nearly the same and those PUBs suck too.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Teamkillers are not a good reason to deactivate FF. They just aren't. Think about all the effects that missing FF would have on gameplay. Also, please read the whole quote. There will be ways to deal with teamkillers.

"Freejoin" is also a necessary option. PUBs are PUBs, not PUGs. People are free to leave during the game. And thus people also have to be able to join during a game.

Dimitryy

and if you just want to practice?
find new routes?
ski around or match a friend?
you can only join an server and other ppl will come and are pissed off because you do nothing for the team.
(i know its no public game than anymore ... my topic is wrong in this case)

also, i dont have any problem with ff when there is a vote to kick option.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Application-1, please, read the thread before posting. Hosting your own game will not be possible in the forseeable future.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
Application-1, please, read the thread before posting. Hosting your own game will not be possible in the forseeable future.

but will there be a "practise/offline" mode where you can ski around and practise routes and caps?

Strife

but will there be a "practise/offline" mode where you can ski around and practise routes and caps?

Unlikely, AFAIK they have no plans of implementing something like that or have just not mentioned it as a topic for public discussion.

Annihilate

They can probably launch a server if they want(correct me if I'm wrong)for a pug.
Yea silly me, I didn't think of a password protected server which is probably whats going to happen.
But they will most likely have to launch several servers because obviously everyone who wants to PUG won't fit in 1 server. Or PUGers could have turns each on the server Im not sure.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
If you're going to go with skill level, you'll probably need to have a note of accuracy, top speed, average speed, average kills per game, games played, cappers killed per game, team kills, and the like.

Beyond those basic stats, a score per kill logger should also be placed and might be the best indicator of someone's skill level.

Basically, you take their velocity and yours, and compare the two. The faster they go compared to you, the better with lancing shots being the highest due to the very very high relative speed. Then, if you score an MA (which we'll define as meaning you are at least 1.5 meters off the ground), you multiply the previous number by 3 or so and if you are MA at the time, you multiply by, say 1.3.

This makes the equation for a ground hit where neither is flying: |your velocity-enemy velocity|
Ground hit where you fly: 1.3x|yv-ev|
You're on the ground and they are flying: 3x|yv-ev|
Both are flying: 3x1.3x|yv-ev|

By these standards, the hardest shots are going to be lancing shots where both are going 200+ in opposite directions and flying at the time.

By tracking the highest score/kill and the average highest score per kill (as in log the highest from each game and then average all those), you should be able to get a very good measure of just how good a shot someone is, and honestly, this one statistic could almost holistically describe how good someone is (if you also take accuracy into account). That means that the only measures you'd really ever need are:

Favorite Class
Favorite Weapon
Highest Speed
Highest Score Kill
Average Score Kill

Dimitryy

when legions went down there was a site with starts about each player, who played on one of the ded servers.
www.leejunz.com (not working anymore)
there could be a system that rate the skill of each player with this stats .... but ti would be alot of work for the devs and i guess there are easyer ways to play PUGs

I remember that website.....

96243-8FWVEBU.jpg

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
when legions went down there was a site with starts about each player, who played on one of the ded servers.
www.leejunz.com (not working anymore)
there could be a system that rate the skill of each player with this stats .... but ti would be alot of work for the devs and i guess there are easyer ways to play PUGs

Not necessarily... The equations I mentioned are simple vectors and could easily be calculated by taking the x,y, and z values of each person's velocity. In the game, it already uses a similar version to determine a player's displayed speed using the 3D version of the pythagorean theorem. Beyond that, there's not a whole lot to it, as servers that are capable of doing the far more advanced skiing code would be able to run a few simple equations in the event of someone's death. After all, when someone dies, the death is already linked, all you need is to modify the death subroutine so that it returns the velocity and distance off the ground to the previous code which then uses the killer's same values and runs the calculations.