A Change in PUGs

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
If they aren't at similar picking levels, or it looks stacked to other normal captains, they need to step up and at least mention it. If the captain still thinks he can do it, he should get his shot, but realize if he gets smashed, he isn't captaining for a while, and he needs to re-evaluate how he measures people's skill.

3. Correcting team balance. If you see a team overly stacked, make necessary trades to try and even the teams as much as possible.

4. A slightly tweaked captain system. Captains should cooperate rather than picking teams to win. Yeah, you can pick good players, but try to get new players into the mix, too.

Also, I agree with what you said about captaining and the time it takes to get a game started. I will personally try to captain more often at the end of games, and I'm sure the others will to.

With some persuasive reasoning.

natulrich091100116.jpg

i guess you guys are worth putting up with.....

Play pugs more often. :mad:

Sharp

Private Tester
I suppose mine is a more nuanced approach (tho my only answer for pulling it off is a more involved average pu population). I personally find the game more fun when it's out to win. I think new players should be added at the start, and then it's play to win. I'm hesitant to fully advocate a "we will tweak the teams very often" because I know first hand how ingrained it is in people's heads what a person's skill level ought to be (based on time in community, # of games played, color of hair, etc). People need to have freedom in who they choose, but at the same times, games shouldn't get ruined because of garbage captains - interesting dilemma.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
Had an awesome time playing the pugs after the Legions Live cast. Nice to see the newer players taking part in it as well. :p

Redvan

Private Tester
Perhaps you could establish what kind of PUG it will be before hand... ie: Friendly PUG or Competitive PUG.

Friendly PUG: Pick new people, try to make teams as fair as possible, etc...

Competitive PUG: Take the gloves off and do whatever the hell it takes to win. Pick that better player that walked into TS last min. Try to stack your team as much as possible. Who cares. You're in it to win it.

Just establish what it'll be before hand. Perhaps make a separate channel in TS for each, that way people know what's going on when they come in to TS.

Fixious

Test Lead
A set schedule for PUGs would be nice, but nigh impossible with everyone's different schedules. As is they start at random it seems. I'll check TS3 every once in a while, and usually it's either empty or they've already picked and started playing.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
A set schedule for PUGs would be nice, but nigh impossible with everyone's different schedules. As is they start at random it seems. I'll check TS3 every once in a while, and usually it's either empty or they've already picked and started playing.
http://view.samurajdata.se/rsc/9433537c/
This was something that Outlawl proposed a while back. This might help with organizing pickup games and making a solid list of admins to run pugs. I also though of a kind of 'checks and balances' sort of thing, but I lost the idea quickly.

Edit: borked link :> It was basically a way to schedule pugs and appoint admins to more jobs.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester

Would not being picked for a pug because of my ping link to this issue?

While ping issues might limit your effectiveness in game, you are always welcome to play. Try and let us know before hand if you have suspicions that you might lose connection and let us know if you are having a lot of trouble playing and need a sub.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux

Yeah, a set time can work well, look at Euro's and we start playing at 7 PM UK time, give or take a few minutes for obvious reasons.

Dacil

While ping issues might limit your effectiveness in game, you are always welcome to play. Try and let us know before hand if you have suspicions that you might lose connection and let us know if you are having a lot of trouble playing and need a sub.
lolz

Fixious

Test Lead
If everyone used Steam and joined the Legions group, we could easily announce when PUGs are happening. Just a suggestion...

Immanent

I play in 270 ping in US pugs with 10fps in a crowded as *chocolate cookies* base! Good games, good teamwork, too much clutter on teamspeak I can't hear anything... Essentially I don't have problems getting picked in high ping.