Clarify: sniping tactics

Aki

So today I managed to get myself into a *male chicken* fight with a player who was sniping into the enemy base (my base, in this case). After killing him twice, he said, "Leave me alone." I said no (in less than polite phrasing accompanied by an accusation of osniping).

My accusation was promptly rebuffed with something to the effect of 'how am I osniping?' Later, one of my own teammates said he was using a different tactic, but I missed the name.

At one point, the player today told me, "I'm not osniping, I'm playing Hornet LO." Maybe it's just me, but every definition I've so far seen of osniping is "offensive sniping, using SR to target players in their base," and since LO is necessarily an offensive position... Anyway, it was after that comment (about a full minute after) that my teammate said he was using a different tactic whose name I can't remember. It was something to do with specifically targeting the HoF, I think.

So my question is: what are other sniper tactics that people use, and when do they cross the line into [useless] osniping?

Ones that I know: sniper-chaser (forgiveable, but still annoying), midfield sniper (okay as long as they're not shooting into bases)... that's it, actually.

inb4 'another whiny sniper hater': I'm actually genuinely interested in an intelligent discussion of sniper tactics beyond defense and chasing, not a flame war or a discussion of 'lawl t3h sniper is OPd and osnipers are t3h suxxorz.' Anyone attempting to flame or derail the thread will be promptly ignored.

Abandoned

Sniping, imho should be used as just a support class and mainly for those finishing kills. People who can chainwhore effectively and expertise themself in sniping are quite OP.

[...]Later, one of my own teammates said he was using a different tactic, but I missed the name.[...]
That was me. I know the name of that person you got into an argument to, but I won't share his username. I suggested that since he was positioning himself where cappers start their caproute, he was bowlparting. Quite effectively too (annoying but, hey). What gets annoying is when you start your route, you can dodge a rocket. LR is hitscan and with a low ping less than 90, its so easy to stop cappers from starting.

Aki

Bowlparting? Odd name, but now I know why I kept thinking of bowling when I tried to remember the name. So that tactic is to hit cappers on their way out? That team's other sniper said something about 'keeping the HoF in line,' but I didn't catch all of that comment, either.

Aki

No harm done--I was annoyed at the time, but my extensive use of pubs has made the reality of such annoyances all too clear.

That said, it can be hard to tell who a sniper is consistently targeting. If someone is sniping at the base, I just assume they're after everyone and I go after them. --osnipers *always* turn me from LO or capper into LD in pubs-- Which is why I refused to leave you alone :p .

So, we have midfield, chasing, and bowlparting. Each of these is an offensive sniping tactic that can be considered 'outside' of the realm of "osniping," which is sniping all of the defensive players in the base.

It sounds to me like the midfielder and the bowlparter are essentially the same thing: they both aim to hit incoming cappers and to be in place to get the killshot on the FC. If Shaska's demonstration today is an indication, the main difference is positioning? Or are they actually synonymous?

Anyone know some other tactics?

OmniNept

Actionaut
Aki, you've presented yourself relatively well, and this statement isn't aimed specifically at your thread.

That being said, the idea that particular positions should be exposed to attack from only "vet-approved" positions, and through only "vet-approved" tactics, with only "vet-approved" weaponry, is goddamned ridiculous. Or, it ought to be recognized as such, anyway; and it clearly isn't.

Hanna has the right idea: Adapt or die.

OMGJuicebox

Snipur should be limited too 1 per team anymore and it's "OP", Heavy Offense should be Frowned upon, "Bowl party" Should be limited to LO. What Tactic can you use amongst mostly new players. Practice basic Capping, Stay Home, Body Blocking, MA, Chasing. This community is too small too Inexperienced to be using a "Tactic" it in a pub Scenario. If you really want use "Tactics" I encourage you to go on Teamspeak and play a PUG with Experienced players. Hell Poke me, I would love to show anyone the ropes if it means I don't have to HoF anymore. Hopefully we can Achieve a community that requires a "tactic to PUB. Wouldn't that be fun.

Shame on you shaska NO Noob stacking xP

:);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:

trinium

Private Tester
Sniper offense is a legit tactic. It is used for killing flag carriers(chase), and anyone involved in a standoff situation. I also use it on LO from time to time as a distract. Midfield sniping, is usually used to hit people in transit (ie people starting routes) Its normally used in competitive play. Pubs are not usually organized so the benefit isnt really tactical, just point based and it is easy to snipe people who are spawning, which really serves no tactical purpose but to score *lady friend*, but the same can be down by LO and HO (bowl parties). These are considered overpowered tactics as it take some coordination or good players to defeat. Unfortunately, many of the public games lately, have team stacking, where all 1 clan or all the good players are on a single team and completely overpower the other team , some even w/ tactics similar to this in order to "score boost" and other general mayhem.
I dont normally osnipe on a pub, but if theres a bowl party/llamma party/clan party/ vs. .....

If you run into an osniper in a pub, just go kill them, they usually are easy because they cant manage energy like the other classes. Many will respawn as soon as you hit them once. (i die easily , or i run/respawn) QQ'ing is not going to help your situation AT ALL. You will just get singled out. People start running their mouths ... and it ends up in a forum pissing match :-( . Bottom line, it happens, change up your route/class/whatever, and just ignore it, or open up a can o dat woop arss. (however if your getting sniped on a route, dont do the same one over and over, and expect not to get hit)

Ones that I know: sniper-chaser (forgiveable, but still annoying), midfield sniper (okay as long as they're not shooting into bases)... that's it, actually.
Sniper chaser, is completely legit. Period not true, at all , see above.

Skepsis

Sweeper is another tactic of Sniping, Its like Mixing Mid-Field and BowlParty- Sniping (as you recall it). Being Useless O sniping would probably be Sniping anyone and not paying attention to the Flags in a CTF game. Everyone just loves to pew there snipers at someone, They Usually don't notice someone is going to Cap unless they realize the game's already over as the other Team has already won. A bunch of O-Sniping tactics, But its useless if your not effective.

Abandoned

Sweeper is another tactic of Sniping, Its like Mixing Mid-Field and BowlParty- Sniping (as you recall it). Being Useless O sniping would probably be Sniping anyone and not paying attention to the Flags in a CTF game. Everyone just loves to pew there snipers at someone, They Usually don't notice someone is going to Cap unless they realize the game's already over as the other Team has already won. A bunch of O-Sniping tactics, But its useless if your not effective.

A lose-lose situation, people start hatin' on you.

Propkid

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
Ya, like Skepsis said, the position is called a Sweeper which is a situational position. Theres no "single role" that it can play, but hitting cappers is one way of playing it. Usually when someone mentions "Sweeper," its a hornet that zooms around the map killing everything and returning flags. Thats basically what it is. You'd be on a defensive, offensive, and/or mid-field oriented depending on the position. Each of these three ways of playing consists of 2-3 sub-positions, so you need to be on your toes.Its a fairly new way of playing the game, and kind of annoying to some people, but thankfully only a limited number of people can play it right. Again, like he said, people who are just standing in front of the enemy base and sniping their defense are useless. It requires a combination of great flag awareness, dueling skills and a decent sniper shot.

I disagree with JuiceBox when he says that Heavy O should be frowned upon and bowlparty being limited to LO. Even though not many people play it, Heavy O is a legit was of playing the game and more interesting IMO and would require a whole nother post to explain. Heavy returns are fun. :p Also, defensive bowl partying is one of the niches that a sweeper needs to fill. Also, just because you're in a pub doesn't mean you're incapable of making "tactical plays." The size of the community doesn't contribute to that ability at all.

I'm actually genuinely interested in an intelligent discussion of sniper tactics beyond defense and chasing.

If Aki or anyone else is even remotely interested about the specifics of the position, I can give a quick breakdown. People who only "Hornet LO" are either doing it wrong or playing their version of it entirely. As I said, it depends on the situation and what you really need on the team. If you offense is having trouble, you could contribute on offense. You can guess the rest. Though, killing cappers on their way out does in turn help your defense. Cappers and LO coming in at 60% after being damaged by a Sweeper is a great relief on your defense, trust me. If you choose to go on the offensive route, make sure to do more good than harm for your team. Don't just stand around and snipe people in their base from a tower or the bowl. That's not what the position is meant to do. You could do a number of things, such as rocketing your priority targets (Cappers, LO) coming out of the base. I usually follow up that shot with a quick snipe. They can also simply distract for your teams cappers. Don't stay in the bowl too long, because a standoff can be right around the corner. Mid-Field is my favorite, because you have access to enemy cappers leaving their base, LO at our base, and cappers who have grabbed our flag and are leaving our base. Again, this type of sweeping needs good flag awareness and dueling skill, because people come Mid to take you out most of the time. Defense is just defense, you can take out the LO, help block cappers, and/or snipe them on the way in/out. Again, you can do all three of these during a game depending on what your team really needs. You don't have to just stick to one. Remember to ask yourself: who is the biggest threat? If there are two LO coming in, Mabeline and FireGhostJames, who would you shoot? If you were as cool as I am you would kill them both. This was only a brief description, and would require much more time to tell about all of the situational parts of the position. Maybe another time.

Propkid had given links to some sniper discussion threads, but they don't cover the more detailed ways of sniping. Yeah, beginners can try, but it takes a great deal of skill to be useful. A sniper discussion thread would also be useful, and I would contribute or make one myself once I felt like writing an essay. :confused:

I personally don't like bread and butter strategies and positions, and am constantly trying to find new niches for me to fill. I wish there were more people wanting to try more diverse positions, but tis okay I guess. Props to Homie for actually getting into it. If you've watched Legions Live, they had said that there will be more variety to positions, one of which is the heavy. I'm pretty excited about that.

trinium

Private Tester
People cry when they die by anything other than splash dmg, people bitch about sniping, frag combos, chainwhoring, heavy O.
Just do what you do, people wouldnt be complaining if it wasnt effective.

I disagree with JuiceBox when he says that Heavy O should be frowned upon and bowlparty being limited to LO. [/quote said:
It;s way OP in pubs, where your teaming up against randoms + noobs. all tactics are legit in any competition.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I usually play in a defensive role, tagging incoming cappers and finishing kills and trying oh so hard to not get sucked into duels. Also, sometimes when people REALLY hate snipers, I can lead them away from the base. I've also been working on chase sniping. In my almost expert opinion, base to base sniping is still osniping, not hornet LO, because they have rocket launchers, and thus they have no excuse.

Offensive sniping usually is a useless tactic until you get into a standoff, at which point you can either target the carrier or the other defenders. As anybody could tell you, standoff situations where the flag is dropped and your defense is down by a couple guys for a few seconds makes a huge impact for collection. I usually just try to target the carrier, but sometimes if there's an easy kill that helps with the rest of the offense, I'll take it. I usually avoid offensive sniping in standoff situations for defending the carrier.

(note: if there are some good snipers on your defense, people like epiclight, kryst, skypredator, and diplodocus to name a few, do them a favor and don't run away from the base. They can probably catch up and save the day, but the closer the enemies are, the easier they are to hit. Also, in standoffs, unless you have no other options, don't pass the flag to the snipers, we don't always know we have the flag. I'm speaking more for myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if another sniper has wondered why there's three raiders beelining on their ass and they unzoom to find that woah, they TOTALLY have the flag.)

Reactions: Aki

Mots0311

First someone complains about snipers, then someone complains about chaining, then rocket combo, then nade jump. I had someone complain to me about my RL, said it was noobish since it requires no skill. Why would I fight to someone elses strengths??? Personally I think everything should be allowed, if its a real problem then do away with the LR or whatever else. Lets just lob stones at one another.

DKnight556

Every *dancing* day there is a new thread with someone complaining about OSnipers, or Frag Combos or Chainwhoring in the public games. Can we please just stop whining at the devs and the forums. It doesn't matter whose right about who osniped or didn't. Can we please get on with our short lives.