A Change in PUGs

Homingun

Being asked to join a PUG because there arent enough people at the moment and then not being picked because a couple of aces show up in the middle of the pick blows hard. Close the door when picking starts. If "Ace Legion dude" shows up in lobby during pick tough luck, start game and no trying to get him in PUG channel.
Outside of that I understand the need to win and no one wants to receive a shelacking, playing just to play is what PUBs are for. The good players get picked first thats the way it is, perhaps a tier system for games. First tier are experienced above average players and second tier seasoned but not as experienced ( 3rd tier just needs to grind it out in the PUBs). Either have different PUGs for tiers or have a required amount of tiers per team. I know that might edge out some really good players depending on the amount of people that show up for pick. It would also get messy defining who is on what tier.

Completely agree with you. Once picks have started, the channel should be locked. Besides being cheap, having a good player jumping in and getting picked late usually ruins the PUG.

HVanquish

I think that before the match picks are made the captains should tell one another that they each should pick x amount of new players. Or their first picks will both be of new players. It seems sad that this should be done, but it's the natural point of players to have your first picks being good players to give some ground to your team before venturing off into newer players. This should change, or there should be some times where an admin picks both the teams as evenly as possible.

Freeman

RAYTANG
We've done that a few times actually. We find the new people and put them on the team first, then we continue as we usually would.

Of course its also up to the new people to make it known that its there first game. Sometimes somebody may ask, but its no guarantee

ContingencyPl4n

Elite Pro Mapmaker
I've always thought it was best to get the lower players first, then the good ones. Its just that some captains don't see eye to eye on that.

Application-1

test bester
FLASHBAAAAAAAAAAAACK:

On my first pug i was HoF on core. I had no chance at that time considering I was a big noob. The flag just kept getting grabbed at speeds of 200+ wich was a whole new thing for me. But everytime it did happen they would say don't worry you are doing great keep it up. And if I would have a succesfull block (how easy it may be) they would say: nice one. All this together gave me a great feeling.

And that is how new players should be treated imo. Encourage them, don't say: OH GOD NOT AGAIN in his face. It will discourage him/her and he/she will play even worse because they might get nervous. Encourage the good things they do, and on the bad things just say: better luck next time or w/e.

Yesterday gekkeman123 had his first PUG. Steffy gave him lots of information on how to play the game, what he needed to do,... As a result gekkeman123 played great.

I think encouraging people gives them a much better feeling and makes them play much better.

He can't read either.
This is a hard world for me for sure

Cry-icon.png

Propkid

FLASHBAAAAAAAAAAAACK:

On my first pug i was HoF on core. I had no chance at that time considering I was a big noob. The flag just kept getting grabbed at speeds of 200+ wich was a whole new thing for me. But everytime it did happen they would say don't worry you are doing great keep it up. And if I would have a succesfull block (how easy it may be) they would say: nice one. All this together gave me a great feeling.

And that is how new players should be treated imo. Encourage them, don't say: OH GOD NOT AGAIN in his face. It will discourage him/her and he/she will play even worse because they might get nervous. Encourage the good things they do, and on the bad things just say: better luck next time or w/e.
Let's take making new players feel better a step further. Let's completely flame every vet each time he makes a mistake :D (god I'd love that).
On topic: IMO for now 'being nice' will work, but we need something that'll work in long term. I mean... what if at some point in the future a PuG will be full of people like Mariqo who just love to laugh at rookies? (he does, believe me. Each time I school someone and he comes in the chat fills with 'XDhahaAHAHAAHA's)

Motivating the newbies is something we should all do (ofc), but IMO it's not enough.

Being asked to join a PUG because there arent enough people at the moment and then not being picked because a couple of aces show up in the middle of the pick blows hard. Close the door when picking starts. If "Ace Legion dude" shows up in lobby during pick tough luck, start game and no trying to get him in PUG channel.
Outside of that I understand the need to win and no one wants to receive a shelacking, playing just to play is what PUBs are for. The good players get picked first thats the way it is, perhaps a tier system for games. First tier are experienced above average players and second tier seasoned but not as experienced ( 3rd tier just needs to grind it out in the PUBs). Either have different PUGs for tiers or have a required amount of tiers per team. I know that might edge out some really good players depending on the amount of people that show up for pick. It would also get messy defining who is on what tier.

I agree with this too, somewhat. Sometimes we need more people when other leave, though. Maybe we can make a channel dedicated to substitutes once there's 14-16-18 people in the picking pool?

Floks

I think certain experienced players should also try to remember that joke strategies can ruin the PUG for everyone else. Going all sentinel, or all sniper, is really annoying, and not that funny. People don't like having their time wasted. I mean let's be honest, Legions wastes enough time already.

Frost

I agree with this too, somewhat. Sometimes we need more people when other leave, though. Maybe we can make a channel dedicated to substitutes once there's 14-16-18 people in the picking pool?

I actually think you stumbled on a good idea here. If those that weren't picked were put in a "leftover" channel, or a substitute channel then the captains from the next game had to choose from that channel first. It would ensure that more people get to play once every game. Personally I'd like to see this implemented, might have todownload ts again.

-Frost