Extremely regular freezes occur while playing offline

TriggerFinger

I've been playing Legions offline (just using the "create game" button to start a map and then roam around.) The game runs absolutely butter-smooth except for strangely regular freezes which occur exactly every two minutes, and last for around 12 seconds each. (The gap between freezes is more regular than the freezes themselves, but both are pretty regular.) Each freeze begins (as far as I can tell) exactly two minutes after the last freeze ended, and lasts for pretty close to 12 seconds.

I suspect that this is caused by the game attempting to refresh the server list, as I tried refreshing the server list manually and found that it froze the game up for (surprise!) 12 seconds. I'm connected to a LAN that is not connected to the Internet.

System specs, if you want them:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
4GB DDR2-800 Crucial Ballistix RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (1GB GDDR5)
Gigabyte G31T-M motherboard
Some old crappy HDD (I forget what it is, but it's old enough to be IDE instead of SATA. Don't laugh, a new one is on the way.)
Equally old crappy optical drive
Antec Earthwatts 430W PSU

It occurs to me that I should try disconnecting from the LAN and then playing. I'll give that a shot and let you know how it turns out.

I've been told it should be possible to play the game over LAN just using the console to connect to the server. A couple of questions about that:
1) How to I activate the console? (I couldn't find it in the keybinds)
2) What command would I input?
3) will the issue described above affect LAN play if I'm playing on a LAN not connected to the internet?

Thanks.

Last edited:

3lionz

Legions Developer
Issues and questions
First of all, to answer your questions.
1) You activate the console by pressing Ctrl + ~ or ctrl + ` (Depending on your keyboard type)

2) Depending on how your network is set up, you need to find the internal IP (normally starts with 192.168) of the PC you want to connect to and use it with the command:
client::joinserver("<IP>"); or client::joinserver("<IP>", "<Password>"); if required.

If you need to find out your internal IP, go into cmd and type "IPConfig /All". Look for the ipv4 address.

3) We need to know what is causing the issue first!
Can you post your console.log file onto pastebin?
You should be able to find your console.log file in: legions/game/logs.

Thanks.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
First of all, to answer your questions.
1) You activate the console by pressing Ctrl + ~ or ctrl + ` (Depending on your keyboard type)[...]
Could also be Ctrl + °^ if you're on a qwertz keyboard. The key below "escape", above "tab" and left of "1". Should be the scoreboard in game.

GReaper

Grumpy
Do you have heartbeats enabled?

It might freeze if it has to do a dns lookup. See if you can disable it.

TriggerFinger

Pastebin of console.log: http://pastebin.com/w12XCK6Y

One other thing I forgot to mention: when I am experiencing this problem, if I close the game with the "Quit" button on the main screen I get a Windows error message: "legions.exe has stopped working," etc.

I also tried disconnecting from my LAN and playing locally, and it did in fact get rid of the freezes. I'll see if I can disable the DNS lookup, GReaper. Would that be in the normal Options menu, or will I have to dig into an .ini or something somewhere?

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] "legions.exe has stopped working," [...]
Sadly, that's a fairly regular problem when closing Legions.

[...] Would that be in the normal Options menu, or will I have to dig into an .ini or something somewhere?
You could set "$Host::BroadcastMaster = false;" in the server pref file, or run it in the console to disable heartbeats (if they're activated that is).

Last edited by a moderator:

Belberith

Legions Developer
In the Create Game menu, there is an option called Public Server, which sets whether or not you wish your server to appear on the main server list (assuming you have done the port forwarding, etc. correctly). This controls the $Host::BroadcastMaster variable.

TriggerFinger

Ok, so, update: disabling the Public Server option gets rid of the freezing. As far as the LAN play goes, I get a "server timed out" error when I try to connect via the console. However, I just realized that I didn't do any port forwarding on my router. Not sure if it's necessary for LAN play, but I'll try it and see. Here's the most recent console.log (in which I try to connect to the server over LAN) if anybody's interested.

3lionz

Legions Developer
The probable reason why your LAN isn't working is that I didn't include the port in the command, sorry bout that. The correct one would be client::joinserver("<IP>:<port>");

The default port is 28001.

e.g. client::joinserver("192.168.1.5:28001");

Last edited: