L:O for Linux and Mac!

Kayar

Hey all, glad to see that some form of Mac support has been figured out. I'm having trouble getting it to work though. I am running OS X 10.6.8 on a 2010 13" Macbook Pro (Intel). I downloaded PlayOnMac and installed Legions. I read somewhere that the Live version is what I should be running, but when I try to it downloads an update (which seems to take at least a half hour to update each time) says "installing" but has no progress bar, and the "Play" button goes from grayed-out to clickable. I've waited for between 5-10 minutes to see if the "installing" message would leave, it hasn't. When I click "Play" it tells me "file not found." I seem to be able to run the public test just fine, but there are no games to join and the client crashes after a few minutes. Any idea what would cause this?

Royalty

The Aussie
Hey all, glad to see that some form of Mac support has been figured out. I'm having trouble getting it to work though. I am running OS X 10.6.8 on a 2010 13" Macbook Pro (Intel). I downloaded PlayOnMac and installed Legions. I read somewhere that the Live version is what I should be running, but when I try to it downloads an update (which seems to take at least a half hour to update each time) says "installing" but has no progress bar, and the "Play" button goes from grayed-out to clickable. I've waited for between 5-10 minutes to see if the "installing" message would leave, it hasn't. When I click "Play" it tells me "file not found." I seem to be able to run the public test just fine, but there are no games to join and the client crashes after a few minutes. Any idea what would cause this?
I have a feeling this Mac workaround needs to be updated with the new launcher...

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
I have a feeling this Mac workaround needs to be updated with the new launcher...
New launcher is coded with Qt, so THE LAUNCHER WILL (NOT THE GAME) run native on Mac. (just got to get GReaper to compile a Mac version.)

Last edited:

GReaper

Grumpy
New launcher is coded with Qt, so it'll run native on Mac. (just got to get GReaper to compile a Mac version.)

picard-facepalm-hotlink.jpg

Robbz

I am running Zorin.
Its built on the latest Ubuntu.
My video card drivers are the Ubuntu default ones for ATI Mobility Radeon.
I think I tried the experimental driver with this too, but my google-earth stopped working, so I went back to the old driver.
My laptop boots both windows and Linux, no big deal, I can still run legions if I need too..
At the time, I wanted to run it on my laptop to use the map editor, not play the game.
Laying back in bed is a lot more conferable, Sitting at my chair for hours has been hurting my tail-bone....

I researched Zorin and compatiblity issue with my script and since Zorin uses Compiz graphical effects layer which bugs out and crashes some wine/directx programs in my script it must be shut off to use my script. You can shut it off by...

1. Downloading Compiz-config-settings-manager and shut off compiz.
Code:
In an open terminal type...

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

2. When you login to your desktop, login into a "No-Effects" version of your desktop. An example here...

ZGA4H.png

3. Add a start up command to shut off compiz at the start.... (as shown here)

Code:
In an open terminal type...

gnome-session-properties

startup.metacity.jpg

Hopefully this helps, But I will continue doing research for more conflicts in Zorin.

Thanks

IPainz

It's currently updating for me right now(mac). If this works I will <3 you forever. I played Legions: Fallen Empire years before and just found out it still exists :D

IPainz

I've had only 1 problem so far.. and it's that every time I try to change the name from player to something else the game crashes. I'd greatly appreciate it if you can fix it :D Otherwise GREAT job with the mac client

Fixious

Test Lead
A possible work-around is to navigate to Legions/game/legions/preferences and open prefs.cs. Scroll down till you find this line:

Code:
$Pref::Player::Name = "Player";

Change Player to whatever you want your name to be, and save it. May or may not work, haven't messed with the Mac or Linux builds.

Arcranine

Hello all, I'd just like to say that I am not the best at modifying and replacing information on a mac, so where exactly would I place/what should I do with the new launcher patch that Fixious linked in the above post? Also, I am suffering from the same issue that Kayar listed above, so any suggestions for that issue as well?

Orzmud

I just installed the game using PlayOnLinux however as Fixious mentioned the current version installed does prompt for user/pass and I can't find a way to register.
Support for making the upgrade to the new version is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

lbaile200

I just installed the game using PlayOnLinux however as Fixious mentioned the current version installed does prompt for user/pass and I can't find a way to register.
Support for making the upgrade to the new version is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Just download the .exe posted above, and move it to the .pol directory. For me I had to move it to /home/user/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Legions/ and run it using that same wineprefix.

For me, the command was something like: WINEPREFIX=~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Legions/ wine ~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Legions/drive_c/Legions\ Overdrive/Legions/launcher.exe

BarbaricYawp

I had trouble using this method on my mac, can someone please give more detailed instructions on how to update to the new launcher that doesn't require account info on a mac?

gloufinion

Hi all !

i just registered for legions overdrive and i got a statskey.cs file,
they say it goes in mods/autoexec/ i'm running the game on playonmac with a mac book mountain lion
and i can't find this directory …

somebody knows something ?

Fixious

Test Lead
Hi all !

i just registered for legions overdrive and i got a statskey.cs file,
they say it goes in mods/autoexec/ i'm running the game on playonmac with a mac book mountain lion
and i can't find this directory …

somebody knows something ?

Unfortunately stats are disabled at the moment, so you aren't really missing much.