Weapon Tethering

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Well, if you're going to have a mechanism for release, then it should be at a speed less than 180 m/s because that already is ridiculously fast. Most players would be hard pressed to get over 150 at the bottom of Forgotten, I'm just saying.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Sounds good. Its still pretty fast, but I think it makes sense to give enterprising players some reward for doing something like that. If they can't keep the speed up, its their fault.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
since the tether would probably be around 30 meters, that would mean you'd be going full circle every 1.6 seconds. That would be pretty difficult to aim, but I'm sure some players would figure out how to launch themselves with that.

Good Idea not sure if i would like that idea but it depends on how many turrets and how does this help the Offense? Defence is already Stacked with the whole HoF thing...

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
It wouldn't. Tethers would be located at bases, not throughout the map, thereby preventing the offense from using them.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Thats my point it seems to TRIBES....For me anyways. Tribes is better left in the dust Legions is the new thing so why put in ideas from Tribes?

Seymour doesn't quite recall weapon tethers in Tribes. Seymour was also going to make a comment about the 'Legions is Legions, Tribes is Tribes' talk, but by this point, it's been beaten to death (and Seymour wants to avoid this thread going off topic).

However, a reaction shot to the post should suffice.

1. Reading post. 2. Re-Reading post. 3. Replying to post.

ptreaction2.jpg

Disci

Old man
@deathball23, unfortunately for some Legions is going to change and some of the changes have originaly been introduced in Tribes games. You guys should get used to the idea Legions is not going to be very enjoyable game in the future!

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Thats my point it seems to TRIBES....For me anyways. Tribes is better left in the dust Legions is the new thing so why put in ideas from Tribes?
I've never played tribes nor am I familiar with every feature from it, but I was never made aware that tethers were in tribes, and according to Seymour, it appears they were not.

Seymour? Unhappy? What is this world coming to? :confused:

Back to deathball...

I don't see how only giving this to defense is a bad thing. The defense has always been disadvantaged in Legions. Always. This attempts to fix that by giving defenders power reminiscent of turrets, but still retain much of their mobility (at least within the radius of the tether)

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
57thdeathball23, This weapons tether thing is a base asset. As such, you could say that it is "too tribesey" However, this, as opposed to auto turrets, give room for more human error, which won't completely stack up defense, and allows freedom of movement to a certain extent, which is the entire point of both legions and tribes. I asked the question "Why Tribes?" and I got some good answers. Basically, there is only one game out there like Legions, and that is Tribes. Thus, many suggestions for new material will have some amount of base in Tribes, and just about any suggestion could somehow be linked to Tribes, even though it wasn't in the game itself. Anyways, I too have digressed. These base assets will be stationary, without a deployable function, which means that the devs can place them in positions that don't get too OP, because with something like this, there are two things that make a tether OP, which is firstly how powerful the weapons become when the player is tethered and secondly, where its placed. In TF2, a sentry in the right place can mow down countless players, and a sentry placed poorly will be destroyed quickly without having any great defensive boosts for the team. These may be placed in positions that don't have line of sight on the flag, and will be used for weakening opponents before they go toe to toe with a HoF and that is taking into account whether or not there is a HoF, since that doesn't always happen with PUBs.

That Tribes did not have tethering weapons. Just the word 'Turrets' Or as you say the Alternative to them just sounds bad for legions i mean thats my opinion, im one person everyone else can like it and want it personaly dont either way i will except the fact that legions will never be the same. >.>

While I think tethering is a good idea so the enemy doesnt have to take their attention away from cappers to reload I think adding auto weapons like turrets isnt so good, nor am I into deployments or energy packs for that matter.

The simplicity of legions plays a large role in its fast pace and while I am the first to admit we need to add to the depth of game play I am against anything that even potentially slows it down eg. weapons stations MUST have a default you can create that you just get loaded with instantly rather than having to select changes to defaults each time (tedious).

actually this reminds me of a convo about having sticky grenades like in halo, gheist said that mines fill this role already but to me its just another button to map to a key and remember to press, why bother when it can be a single option that serves both roles? Simplicity is 'key' not 'keys' :)

and everyone knows how bouncing nades SUCK ASS and they sometimes end up yours at high speeds.

While I think tethering is a good idea so the enemy doesnt have to take their attention away from cappers to reload I think adding auto weapons like turrets isnt so good, nor am I into deployments or energy packs for that matter.

The simplicity of legions plays a large role in its fast pace and while I am the first to admit we need to add to the depth of game play I am against anything that even potentially slows it down eg. weapons stations MUST have a default you can create that you just get loaded with instantly rather than having to select changes to defaults each time (tedious).

actually this reminds me of a convo about having sticky grenades like in halo, gheist said that mines fill this role already but to me its just another button to map to a key and remember to press, why bother when it can be a single option that serves both roles? Simplicity is 'key' not 'keys' :)

and everyone knows how bouncing nades SUCK ASS and they sometimes end up yours at high speeds.

Yeah i dont like the idea of having mines at all...And bouncing nades do suck...And very un reliable.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I personally want some forms of base assets, though I want ones that don't slow down games and fit into Legions. Tethers are the only thing I can think of that allows a turret-like function without actually putting you in a turret and making you a sitting duck.

I juist dont like the feel of it and seems like it would stack the D all these tips and Things about adding stuff for Defense is stacking againts the Offense...Offense is pretty hard as it is it takes planning and practice Defense really there jobb is kill kill kill and protect protect protect...